Post-Game Talk: A little Tuna to rid the taste of Campbell soup. Habs beat the Leaf.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Drouin is having a typical season for him. He did the same thing last year. Great start, then disappeared. He still makes some nice plays once in a while but ask Tampa if they would trade Sergachev for Drouin right now....
I'm sure Yzerman and his cronies were on the floor after the trade. :biglaugh:

Reactions: angusyoung

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Drouin is having a typical season for him. He did the same thing last year. Great start, then disappeared. He still makes some nice plays once in a while but ask Tampa if they would trade Sergachev for Drouin right now....

Last year, we could point to the long term injury when Ovechkin steamrolled him. It was a very definitive point between the useful drouin and the liability drouin.

To be honest, I'm wondering now if that wrist procedure affected his shooting permanently, because it has looked like a muffin all year. Since that procedure, I think he has maybe 3 goals? I only remember him scoring one in the bubble.

And I don't mean to say that he ever had a laser, but you can use your wrists to create certain shooting lanes and deception, and his shot used to have better placement than today.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I have been hot and cold on JD all season. Well, really ever since he came here, but the guy isn't completely worthless. I think some people are just overly angry at him. He has been underperforming and inconsistent, that won't spur any debate from me. I just think there's no need to consider buyouts, sending him to the AHL, etc.

His trade value is still there. Sure, it's at an all time low, but he can still be a piece of this team. That said, if he's moved, I'm ok with that. Honestly, between him and Danault, I'd rather keep the center, money being close/equal.
JD has not had a good season, a few assists early on, and now this. People have said the habs have offered him around, no one wants him....LTIR for his sore wrist, or a another buyout.....we would be better with him gone.
Absolutely Danault has to be kept, at a reasonable price.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
FWIW, Mitch Gallo, big Leafs fan on tsn690, thinks Matthew's and Marner wouldn't look forward to a playoff series against the Danault line...

Reactions: dinodebino

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
JD has not had a good season, a few assists early on, and now this. People have said the habs have offered him around, no one wants him....LTIR for his sore wrist, or a another buyout.....we would be better with him gone.
Absolutely Danault has to be kept, at a reasonable price.

After he goes on a hot streak, couldn't we package him with a pick? Am I being delusional? A buyout would hurt. I'd like to re-sign Danault, Tatar, and KK, and add on forward to the top 9 in addition to caufield.

Toffoli Kotkaniemi Caufield
_______ Suzuki Gallagher
Tatar Danault Anderson

Get rid of the 13.9M we have in Drouin, Byron, Lehkonen, and Armia and we can do that. Even if we keep Byron, the 10.5M is probably enough.

Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
After he goes on a hot streak, couldn't we package him with a pick? Am I being delusional? A buyout would hurt. I'd like to re-sign Danault, Tatar, and KK, and add on forward to the top 9 in addition to caufield.

Toffoli Kotkaniemi Caufield
_______ Suzuki Gallagher
Tatar Danault Anderson

Get rid of the 13.9M we have in Drouin, Byron, Lehkonen, and Armia and we can do that. Even if we keep Byron, the 10.5M is probably enough.
I love your optomistic side!!
We can hope.............looking back though, JD has never really had a hot streak with us. 4 years later, I don't think we can fool anyone. He is what he is....loads of talent, but nothing else.
If we deal him, we would have to take a headache or a project back to please the other GM.
Hopefully once we get a real GM this situation will be resolved.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
FWIW, Mitch Gallo, big Leafs fan on tsn690, thinks Matthew's and Marner wouldn't look forward to a playoff series against the Danault line...

don't think many elite players would. For all the flack some heap on Danault, he's a pretty damn effective match-up C and can go toe-to-toe with any of the top players in the league (as long as you don't need him to also contribute on the score sheet).

HockeyJunkie87

Jan 20, 2021
Very enjoyable watching Romanov lay hits on both Matthews and Marner.
Romanov is quietly having a great rookie season, and i'm really looking forward to his future with the Habs!

Reactions: 26Mats

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Matthews has yet to score w Danault on the ice. As Nathan MacKinnon said Danault is the toughest C he’s ever faced, and has difficulty against

Reactions: 26Mats

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Matthews has yet to score w Danault on the ice. As Nathan MacKinnon said Danault is the toughest C he’s ever faced, and has difficulty against

That’s not true. Matthews has scored 4 goals against the Habs. Danault has been on for 3 of them. Two PP goals and the goal below:

Reactions: salbutera

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Yeah, then who do we have to cover Nylander - Tavares - Foligno?

Leafs are going to be hard to beat. The only chink in the armour I can see is if Campbell falters ala Andrew Hammond and they purely rely on Rittich.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Yeah, then who do we have to cover Nylander - Tavares - Foligno?

Leafs are going to be hard to beat. The only chink in the armour I can see is if Campbell falters ala Andrew Hammond and they purely rely on Rittich.

Toffoli-Suzuki-Anderson

Reactions: CAUFIELD

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
That’s not true. Matthews has scored 4 goals against the Habs. Danault has been on for 3 of them. Two PP goals and the goal below:

1 goal in 5 games for the best goal scorer in the league when you're constantly matching up against him is still very good.

Reactions: CAUFIELD

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I still think that Caufield will probably join the team after the western trip . He's doing well with the Rockets , we should not rush him for no reasons.

If we can take out Calgary in our next two against them. Caufield could continue his apprenticeship with Bouchard which would be ideal. If we lose the next two to them the sticks may start to get gripped a little bit tighter. A split isn't horrendous.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
1 goal in 5 games for the best goal scorer in the league when you're constantly matching up against him is still very good.

I agree. Danault has played well against top end talent, especially lately.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

Was talking 5-on-5, but yes you’re right....how could I forget the very 1st even strength G by Matthews!

Thank you

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Hopefully this Tatar - Danault - Byron can stick, Byron really needs to continue his play. Clearing waivers so many times should be a good indicator that unless he plays better this will be his last decent contract in NHL.

Hopefully once Armia is ready he can regain the chemistry with Suzuki. Staal should be on 4th line, he's worse than Briere.

Toffoli - Kotkaniemi - Anderson
Drouin - Suzuki - Armia/Perry
Tatar - Danault - Byron
Lehkonen - Staal - Evans/Armia/Perry

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Very enjoyable watching Romanov lay hits on both Matthews and Marner.
Romanov is quietly having a great rookie season, and i'm really looking forward to his future with the Habs!
Love Romanov because there's a lot of room to grow his game. He will just need to learn how to break up the cycles on the board. It will come from experience.

CAUFIELD

Oct 16, 2015
Perry to the 4th line plz. I liked how he scores and he is intense, but please at 5vs5 he is so slow, it doesn’t help.

Reactions: Joe Malone

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
There is no doubt about it, Phil is a perfect 3rd line centre, to shut down other top lines......gotta get him to accept a reasonable offer. Hope they can keep him between 4-5M they just can't go by 5M

Getting him to accept his role should have kept him at 4.5 max. I really don't know what to expect anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad