Sportsnet: "A few middling NHL goaltenders could be had via trade." TORONTO - luke fox

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Agreed except what proven starters are available?

I should have specified but I meant this July so there likely isn't any quality goaltenders available at this time.

I remember Brian Burke saying a statement about when trading and its stuck with me, "the big key roles should be filled in July, the depth pieces at deadline". Essentially saying overpaying at deadline rarely works out, buy the big pieces in July so you get the whole year to evaluate and get value out of assets used to acquire said player.

Goaltending is a vital part of the team and Leafs have been focusing elsewhere since Andersen left.
Looks like Samsonov won't be back so that's another goalie that has to come in now and learn system, how their D play in DZ, etc and Woll has 30 career games, both regular season and playoffs.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
No thank you to Robertson. I get that he's a decent asset, but he isn't really a good fit for Montreal. Where does another smaller, winger with speed fit?

I do think the price for Allen will be reasonable and a decent fit for Toronto. They can then use their higher-end assets to acquire Tanev or similar.
Robertson was playing great for Marlies. I wanted him for Laval. Like to see Rocket go on sustained playoff run. Lengthen the season usually good for development of our young defense and goalies. Bring Robertson to camp next fall get a look at him.

The 2nd obviously I would package with a late first at draft. Get another Dach.

Samsanov I think he is better than this. He had a .919% save Percentage last year playing behind porous defense. I think he is shell shocked. In three goalie system he can get his game back.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I should have specified but I meant this July so there likely isn't any quality goaltenders available at this time.

I remember Brian Burke saying a statement about when trading and its stuck with me, "the big key roles should be filled in July, the depth pieces at deadline". Essentially saying overpaying at deadline rarely works out, buy the big pieces in July so you get the whole year to evaluate and get value out of assets used to acquire said player.

Goaltending is a vital part of the team and Leafs have been focusing elsewhere since Andersen left.
Looks like Samsonov won't be back so that's another goalie that has to come in now and learn system, how their D play in DZ, etc and Woll has 30 career games, both regular season and playoffs.

Seems very difficult to get solid goaltending anymore.

A lot of people saying the Leafs need goaltending because relying on a rookie goaltender is a bad plan. They aren't wrong, but I also don't see another viable choice. That ship has likely sailed.

The off-season signings were a flop and draft capital is low. I don't see how the Leafs can do anything BUT throw em to the wolves and hope for the best.

"Retool" might need to come sooner than expected.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Seems very difficult to get solid goaltending anymore.

A lot of people saying the Leafs need goaltending because relying on a rookie goaltender is a bad plan. They aren't wrong, but I also don't see another viable choice. That ship has likely sailed.

The off-season signings were a flop and draft capital is low. I don't see how the Leafs can do anything BUT throw em to the wolves and hope for the best.

"Retool" might need to come sooner than expected.

I agree with your post.
Some Leafs fans want Marner moved to keep Nylander, maybe Mitch + pick can grab them a good goalie + top 3/4 D?

Trying to bring back Nylander and keeping the core 4 + Morgan seems like insanity and defines it to a tee.

Treliving noticed lack of toughness but some players may not click with a new team. Leafs also growing tired of Brodie, along with Samsonov.

This July should bring a massive trade, let's see if Treliving swings for the seats.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
I agree with your post.
Some Leafs fans want Marner moved to keep Nylander, maybe Mitch + pick can grab them a good goalie + top 3/4 D?

Trying to bring back Nylander and keeping the core 4 + Morgan seems like insanity and defines it to a tee.

Treliving noticed lack of toughness but some players may not click with a new team. Leafs also growing tired of Brodie, along with Samsonov.

This July should bring a massive trade, let's see if Treliving swings for the seats.
Marner has a full NMC. That ship has sailed last July.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Out of those names I wonder if OTT would actually trade Forsberg to TOR. I really doubt it more than any other possibility or name mentioned. I know he's had a tough start this year, but he's considered to be pretty decent. Uh... isn't he?

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Leafs goalies sucks more, and Woll is always injured.

You can't go into the playoffs with a Jones/Samsonov tandem if you plan to contend, that is ridiculous.
Fairly sure they're aware of it and probably doing something about it.

Wait a bit.

I mean they just waived their "starter" so clearly they're not too f***ing happy with the goalie situation.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Price on Allen has gone up. Habs want Minten? Proven NHL Goalies are hard to come by.. We take Samsanov in trade also.
If by gone up you mean he is coming off a career low season with an .891% and 2 years left at $3.8m and was a negative contract (ala Mrazek), to possibly neutral value with an .903%. Then yes the price has gone from MTL needing to attach a pick to unload the player to being able to get out of the contract and taking back an expiring one for a late pick.

ozzie

Aug 3, 2005
Australia
Can a team like Boston afford to keep Swayman or does it make sense for them?

Not sure how good Swayman is outside of playing behind a pretty responsobile defensive franchise. Outside of that, I got nothing. The Leafs either have to make a huge trade and give up one of their offensive stars, or settle for below average goal tending.

The curse of Rask and Ferguson continues.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
How? All the best goalies right now got got drafted by their teams. There are like 5 consistant goalies year-to-year while everyone else is a jeykl and hyde goalie
The leafs last drafted a capable goalie 18 years ago in 2005. Since then the league average for drafting or developing goalies has lapped the leafs multiple times over again. This is inexcusable.

You ask how when all the guy was saying is they should have focused more on goaltending over the years, which is undeniably true.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
If by gone up you mean he is coming off a career low season with an .891% and 2 years left at $3.8m and was a negative contract (ala Mrazek), to possibly neutral value with an .903%. Then yes the price has gone from MTL needing to attach a pick to unload the player to being able to get out of the contract and taking back an expiring one for a late pick.
Montreal has 13 million in caproom. Why would they attach a pic to move a solid veteran goalie? While league is starving for NHL proven netminding? Makes no sense.

Allen is good for developing young goalies. Look at Montembeault or Billington? Hes quality guy in dressing room and in community. Why Hughes gave him that contract.

I hope Montreal keeps Allen actually. With Dobes and Fowler in system. Allen make great goalie coach someday.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Montreal has 13 million in caproom. Why would they attach a pic to move a solid veteran goalie? While league is starving for NHL proven netminding? Makes no sense.

Allen is good for developing young goalies. Look at Montembeault or Billington? Hes quality guy in dressing room and in community. Why Hughes gave him that contract.

I hope Montreal keeps Allen actually. With Dobes and Fowler in system. Allen make great goalie coach someday.
It's not about why would MTL do that, it's that Allen had negative value after last year. Just like Mrazek who had 2 years left at $3.8m and coming off a similarly bad year with an .888%.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
It's not about why would MTL do that, it's that Allen had negative value after last year. Just like Mrazek who had 2 years left at $3.8m and coming off a similarly bad year with an .888%.
Teams keep asking about him so I doubt he has negative value. But whatever, we'll gladly keep Allen. He's solid backup, helped develop young goalies and is character guy in dressing room and community. Good future goalie coach.

Go find a better goalie? See what it costs ya?

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Neg value and a lot of talk on some teams having lots of interest don't fit on the same line.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Jake Allen is seriously becoming the most overrated goalie by the media.

Every time a team struggles, the name Jake Allen gets brought up. It's fine if he's rated as a backup, but the media dubs him as a good starter.

The last time Jake Allen had good numbers was when he was in St. Louis.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Ride it out with Jones until Woll is back. See how Hildeby does as a backup. It's not panic time yet. One goalie is playing eggregious

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Jake Allen is seriously becoming the most overrated goalie by the media.

Every time a team struggles, the name Jake Allen gets brought up. It's fine if he's rated as a backup, but the media dubs him as a good starter.

The last time Jake Allen had good numbers was when he was in St. Louis.
Anyone getting him as a high end backup or one of an equal tandem, should be happy.

Anyone expecting a clearcut starter will be disappointed.

Reactions: Scintillating10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad