Sportsnet: "A few middling NHL goaltenders could be had via trade." TORONTO - luke fox

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
The hardest part of any Allen deal is figuring out the cap space for next year. No prime assets would be involved. 2nd rounder, tops, more likely a 3d and/or a stalled prospect some Habs scouts still see potential in.

Revansky

Mar 17, 2013
Montreal
You have no idea who Woll is do you?

Impressive stats in his short stint in the NHL. Why hasn't he played more than 30-35 games a year since turning pro ? Wouldn't a 1A-1B situation be better and more sustainable for the Leafs than having either Jones or Samsonov ? If Woll has a setback or gets hurt again, wouldn't that hurt your chance of a deep run ?

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Leafs want no part of that deal. People seem to forget we are in a tough spot because Woll has a high ankle sprain and is our starter. We just need a 1B goalie who can make a save as Samsonov is unplayable. When Woll comes back he will be our starter again

So essentially rely on a goalie with 26 regular season games and 4 playoff games to his name?
Seems logical in the final year or two left for Leafs window...

Burkeocet

Nov 2, 2019
Samsonov can simply be buried.
They send him down and he’s getting claimed regardless of his awful stats.

People forget Campbell was outplaying Skinner when he got sent down. Skinner was godawful (since turning it around) but the oilers knew he’d get claimed because of his age and the contract.

Someone would take a chance on Sammy too I imagine if he went down.

• Haha
Reactions: FerrisRox

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
So essentially rely on a goalie with 26 regular season games and 4 playoff games to his name?
Seems logical in the final year or two left for Leafs window...

Leafs have a long window. Their window is Matthews contract. They have time to retool the roster and still compete for several seasons if they chose to.

Ledge And Dairy

They send him down and he’s getting claimed regardless of his awful stats.

People forget Campbell was outplaying Skinner when he got sent down. Skinner was godawful (since turning it around) but the oilers knew he’d get claimed because of his age and the contract.

Someone would take a chance on Sammy too I imagine if he went down.
Nobody is claiming Samsonov lol. A nearly 4M 26 year old (27 in February) goalie with horrific play for the majority of his 15 games now, and only 1 good season beforehand.

Skinner is 2 years younger without a history of bad play, and had only played in 7 games (started 6) by the time Campbell was sent down

Reactions: Phion Keneuf

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Buffalo's price for Comrie is very reasonable. An old Ty Domie jersey so Rob Ray can get some decent sleep and stop sucking his thumb.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Nah. Montreal won't be taking back a crap goalie. The reason they're looking to move a goalie is because they have 3 on the roster as it is.

If Montreal were to do that trade, they wouldn't much care about Samsonov.

They would just waive him and then send him to Laval and go with Montembeault and Primeau in net making the trade Jake Allen for two third round picks, which, to me, is a solid trade for Montreal.

Reactions: abo9

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Nobody’s gonna make this easy for the Leafs. The most frustrating part is, we’re likely gonna see some goalie movement, as others upgrade their net, and people are going to scream about why the Leafs didn’t get involved.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Woll has something those guys don't have and that is a solid foundation. Woll is mostly just sound positionally and in good technical form. Makes a lot of saves just by being big and in a good spot. Those goalies could never settle in like that.

But he also has the flexibility and skill to make crazy saves when needed.
That's the only thing Pickard had - positionally sound and good technical form. He didn't have enough athleticism to hack it long-term and it was all down hill from there.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Odd to mention Forsberg and Comrie here. Sure they've had their good stretches of play but it doesn't really make any sense to go for guys that aren't playing well at all.

Allen seems like an option. Probably the only viable option at this point in the season.

Burkeocet

Nov 2, 2019
Nobody is claiming Samsonov lol. A nearly 4M 26 year old (27 in February) goalie with horrific play for the majority of his 15 games now, and only 1 good season beforehand.

Skinner is 2 years younger without a history of bad play, and had only played in 7 games (started 6) by the time Campbell was sent down
There’s a lot of desperate teams right now. I wouldn’t rule it out. It’s 1 year and a reclamation project for free. He’s only 26.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Samsonov can simply be buried.
Yeah, if Montreal takes Samsonov in an Allen deal, it's easy for them to bury him.

That ability to take Samsonov without issue might be enough to make Allen the best option for Toronto.

Reactions: MXD

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Knies+ for Markstrom @50% retained.

Without retention no chance I take that contract for free

Ledge And Dairy

Leafs have Jones and Hildeby to get then to Feb.
Yes Hildeby. The guy who's been in North America for like 3 months... I admit he's a decent prospect with potential but he's not nearly as good as Wolf and Wolf isn't better than Vladar yet

There’s a lot of desperate teams right now. I wouldn’t rule it out. It’s 1 year and a reclamation project for free. He’s only 26.
3.55 million. How many teams can afford that and would be willing to bet their season on the current worst goalie in the league. I'm willing to bet none

Reactions: Revansky

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Yes Hildeby. The guy who's been in North America for like 3 months... I admit he's a decent prospect with potential but he's not nearly as good as Wolf and Wolf isn't better than Vladar yet

3.55 million. How many teams can afford that and would be willing to bet their season on the current worst goalie in the league. I'm willing to bet none
I wouldn't claim him but Habs could take on Samsanov contract in a trade.

I am quite sure Leafs will add a goalie. They lost 3 in a row, sit 7th in conference. Woll coming back but he had long injury history and high ankle sprain usually takes 6 months before they themselves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad