Sportsnet: "A few middling NHL goaltenders could be had via trade." TORONTO - luke fox

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Leafs want no part of that deal. People seem to forget we are in a tough spot because Woll has a high ankle sprain and is our starter. We just need a 1B goalie who can make a save as Samsonov is unplayable. When Woll comes back he will be our starter again
Woll has been solid, but he’s a rookie and has an injury history. Expecting him to shoulder a regular starter’s workload isn’t realistic. The Leafs need a good backup to complement him.

Coming into the year, Samsonov looked like a perfect 1B guy, but he’s been an absolute disaster. I agree the Leafs don’t need to trade for a starter, but they at least need a solid backup/1B type goalie.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
No he can’t. He’d still be on the cap.
I meant, in the scenario I was replying to, he was traded to Montreal for Jake Allen, whose caphit is bigger, so there wouldn't be an issue, as Samsonov carries a lower caphit than Allen.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
If they can put him on LTIR because his brain is broken, they can send him to Robidas Island.
I'm pretty sure Samsonov wants to have a chance to prove he isn't completely done, as he's looking for a new deal next year.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
I know very few are keeping their eyes on the Hawks save for the Bedard watch but Mrazek has quietly been the second best player on the team so far. Keeping the team in a lot of games with great goaltending. Doubt the Hawks would be willing to trade him but I'm surprised there hasn't been much interest expressed in these threads for teams needing a solid goalie. I think Edmonton would be a good option. But if it's for a 3rd I would abstain if I were Chicago.

Reactions: OTC

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Yes Hildeby. The guy who's been in North America for like 3 months... I admit he's a decent prospect with potential but he's not nearly as good as Wolf and Wolf isn't better than Vladar yet

3.55 million. How many teams can afford that and would be willing to bet their season on the current worst goalie in the league. I'm willing to bet none
Doesn't cost any assets as he is 22 with Pro experience. He will be fine for a few games.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
So essentially rely on a goalie with 26 regular season games and 4 playoff games to his name?
Seems logical in the final year or two left for Leafs window...

The premise of the thread is "middling goaltenders". Not exactly an ideal scenario for cup competition is either way.

Also, what "window" would you be referring to?

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Campbell has more leaks than a strainer.

Campbell at 50% + 1st for future considerations. Probably light 1st
If Campbell's contract was the same length I would be ok with a Samsonov /Campbell swap, if retention is used to make the $ even. We both would have nothing to loose.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Got a couple my last year playing hockey. Still hurts randomly when it's cold outside.
I had 1 too, they suck!!!!, I say I was playing paintball but really it was between matches and I went to step on and over a log about 1.5ft in diameter. As I stepped on it and put weight to step over, my left foot on the log slipped fwd and off the log and I wasn't ready and it landed weirdly and my day was done :(

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
If Campbell's contract was the same length I would be ok with a Samsonov /Campbell swap, if retention is used to make the $ even. We both would have nothing to loose.
Only can retain 50% and with Samsonov only having this year and Campbell having 3 mores I just don't see a way of making it work.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
The premise of the thread is "middling goaltenders". Not exactly an ideal scenario for cup competition is either way.

Also, what "window" would you be referring to?

That's kinda my point, why even waste assets on middling goalies, go get a proven starter and have Woll as backup who keeps developing?

IMO they have a 2-3 year window left to contend, after that, if no playoff success, there will be a retool and won't be in a contender status anymore.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
That's kinda my point, why even waste assets on middling goalies, go get a proven starter and have Woll as backup who keeps developing?

IMO they have a 2-3 year window left to contend, after that, if no playoff success, there will be a retool and won't be in a contender status anymore.
The problem is we need a D man and don't have the assets to get a decent tender and a decent D man.
From what I understand, The team has made strong 8 yr offers to Nylander but he is asking for 12ish. So the Leafs said ok fine talk to other teams and see what they are willing to go to on a 7yr deal. Banking that no other team will come close to 12 and the 8x11 offer is better than anything he gets from other teams.
So as far as Nylander being available, I would say 10% likely.
That leaves assets like Robertson, Niemela, Minten, Cowan, 2024 1st etc as out best pieces but all we have for room is approx 5mil.
Larsson and Daccord from Seattle look interesting

Only can retain 50% and with Samsonov only having this year and Campbell having 3 mores I just don't see a way of making it work.
100%, that term is what's hurting you guys.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Allen about best goalie available. Friedman said price on Gibson is high. Calgary not ready to sell.

Hughes has set his price. Not moving much

Got a couple my last year playing hockey. Still hurts randomly when it's cold outside.
I limped for 4 months. About 6 months before I was myself. I was 50 though.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
Allen for Samsanov, Robertson and 2nd round pick?
No thank you to Robertson. I get that he's a decent asset, but he isn't really a good fit for Montreal. Where does another smaller, winger with speed fit?

I do think the price for Allen will be reasonable and a decent fit for Toronto. They can then use their higher-end assets to acquire Tanev or similar.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Yeah look at all the expensive big name goalies winning cups every year, there’s Vasilievski and uh…

3 players with a cap hit of 10M+ have made the cup final. 2 of them are goalies.

There are 15 players with a cap hit of 10M+ in the league. 2 of them are goalies.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
3 players with a cap hit of 10M+ have made the cup final. 2 of them are goalies.

There are 15 players with a cap hit of 10M+ in the league. 2 of them are goalies.

Vasi is the only big money goalie who’s won, the rest of the cup winning goalies average 5 mil or so.

You can win a cup with a random 3rd string call-up or no-name rookie like Binnington, Murray, Hill, whatever Chicago had in net. You can’t win with a cheap no-name 1C, MacKinnon was the cheapest winning 1C I think and he was still more expensive than the vast majority of cup winning goalies even on his unusually cheap RFA bridge.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad