Value of: A competent backup in Toronto

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Ryan Miller makes a good amount of sense.

Miller (1.125m, retained to .5625, pending UFA)
+ maybe a guy like Eaves? Only helps if his contract is uninsured, but its 3.25 on LTIR for just this year, wont matter to the Leafs.
+ Maxime Comtois (young cheap guy who can throw his weight around/has snarl) (860k)

So
[email protected]
Eaves@ 3.25 LTIR
Comtois @ .820
for
Bracco @.8425
Hutchinson @.700
Timashov @.795/Petan@775

Hyman Tavares Marner
AJ Matthews Nylander
Mikheyev Kerfoot Kapanen
Comtois Gauthier Moore
Spezza/Shore

Real, real curious to see your value equation for this one lol

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Hill or Comrie sound pretty good for your options. Bracco and/or a pick would likely do it.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
KASIMIR KASKISUO

giphy.gif

Reactions: Magic Man

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Is Fred so fragile that he can't play back to back? Play him against the better teams,let Kasky or whoever get his feet wet against a lesser team.If he looks ok,play him more. No way would I throw him out there with a tired team in front of him...gonna be the same result as Hutch(I know he wasn't great,but I blame Babs for knowing that and doing it anyway).

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
Is Fred so fragile that he can't play back to back? Play him against the better teams,let Kasky or whoever get his feet wet against a lesser team.If he looks ok,play him more. No way would I throw him out there with a tired team in front of him...gonna be the same result as Hutch(I know he wasn't great,but I blame Babs for knowing that and doing it anyway).

He plays too many games as it is. If he gets injured then the Leafs are 100% doomed. You can't push him and take the risk.

Reactions: DarylO

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
Montreal may trade Kincand. Primeau is getting close to taking his place.a late round pick in return. A 4th?

No he's not. Kinkaid is on a 1 year deal. There's no way you remove Primeau in his 1st AHL season to bring him up mid-season to warm the bench. Kinkaid will do the whole year then we'll reevaluate.

Next year is gonna be Kinkaid once again or a Kinkaid 2.0. Primeau won't be rushed in the show... the guy is in his 1st professional year.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Craig Anderson and Demelo for Ceci and Torontos 2021 first/Liljegren/Sandin?

Absolutely not.
We also can't afford it and we are not trading our futures for a slight upgrade on Ceci, and 1 year of a 38 year old overpaid backup.

Last edited:

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
He plays too many games as it is. If he gets injured then the Leafs are 100% doomed. You can't push him and take the risk.
I just don't see it as 'being pushed'...Prime-Time goalie should be wanting it. Heard Dipietro say recently,that he invested a lot of mental energy in getting prepared for a game(sometimes days in advance) and in a back to back situation ,he felt he was still in the zone. It's more about being ready than it is being worn out. goalies work out there ,but they aren't skating their asses off!

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Sign Louis Domingue

Actually, he is signed. Forgot he was waived, picked up and tossed in the AHL.

Mitch nylander

Jun 2, 2016
I like the Miller idea.
I'd do Miller for a later pick and a lesser prospect,
Miller for Greenway or Rasanen rights and a 5th

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Absolutely not.
We also can't afford it and we are not trading our futures for a slight upgrade on Ceci, and 1 year of a 38 year old overpaid backup.

Demelo is not a slight upgrade over Ceci. You guys love your advanced stats go take a look. They arent even close. But fair enough, the leafs shed an albatross of a contract and trade for player that is getting atleast a 2nd round pick back and solidify their goaltending. Steep price, but if the sens are taking Ceci back then I figured there would be an upgrade on the 2nd they would be getting for demelo plus giving the leafs a competent goaltender for this season.

Mitch nylander

Jun 2, 2016
Demelo is not a slight upgrade over Ceci. You guys love your advanced stats go take a look. They arent even close. But fair enough, the leafs shed an albatross of a contract and trade for player that is getting atleast a 2nd round pick back and solidify their goaltending. Steep price, but if the sens are taking Ceci back then I figured there would be an upgrade on the 2nd they would be getting for demelo plus giving the leafs a competent goaltender for this season.

Ceci, is an albatross of a contract. He's expired at the end of the year, and quite frankly he hasn't been bad. He plays 20+ minutes a game.
Demelo, is obviously a superior player to Ceci. However, it isn't worth it to us to give up one of our best prospect who will likely be as good or better then Demelo on their ELC. To add, ELC contracts are absolutely crucial to us to have new depth.

Anderson is good, but he's overpaid and is likely gone after this season. I just don't see the point of us paying such a steep price for a backup. When cheaper options like Miller are out there.

I do appreciate you having a solid back argument, that I can respectfully disagree with. I enjoy talking to posters like yourself, who having reasoning for their trade offers.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Leafs need up add toughness, a couple of defenders and upgrade their bottom 6 before addressing their backup goalie. Backup goalies don’t play in the playoffs in game 7 against Boston.

No, but they may have been able to give you home ice advantage so that game seven would be played at home.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Ryan Miller makes a good amount of sense.

Miller (1.125m, retained to .5625, pending UFA)
+ maybe a guy like Eaves? Only helps if his contract is uninsured, but its 3.25 on LTIR for just this year, wont matter to the Leafs.
+ Maxime Comtois (young cheap guy who can throw his weight around/has snarl) (860k)

So
[email protected]
Eaves@ 3.25 LTIR
Comtois @ .820
for
Bracco @.8425
Hutchinson @.700
Timashov @.795/Petan@775

Hyman Tavares Marner
AJ Matthews Nylander
Mikheyev Kerfoot Kapanen
Comtois Gauthier Moore
Spezza/Shore

Wait what... what exactly do you see as the value here?

Toronto gives up an AHL goalie, an average AHL prospect and a 4th line player for a good backup goalie and a blue chip prospect?

come on...

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Always love how Leaf Fans throw in a "young guy" like Comtois "just cause" into proposals, knowing full well he's one of our better and more valuable prospects.

I know... it's hilarious. I doubletake and think it's a Habs fan making the proposal. And holy overrating Bracco too.

Anyhow, the going rate for a backup has been a 3rd. Leafs barely have cap so they might need to send a dump the other way and send over a 2nd.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I know... it's hilarious. I doubletake and think it's a Habs fan making the proposal. And holy overrating Bracco too.

Anyhow, the going rate for a backup has been a 3rd. Leafs barely have cap so they might need to send a dump the other way and send over a 2nd.
I originally clicked to complain about the complete lack of awareness at who Bracco is. But, then I looked up Comtois lol. He would be more valuable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad