Value of: A competent backup in Toronto

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Ryan Miller makes a good amount of sense.

Miller (1.125m, retained to .5625, pending UFA)
+ maybe a guy like Eaves? Only helps if his contract is uninsured, but its 3.25 on LTIR for just this year, wont matter to the Leafs.
+ Maxime Comtois (young cheap guy who can throw his weight around/has snarl) (860k)

So
[email protected]
Eaves@ 3.25 LTIR
Comtois @ .820
for
Bracco @.8425
Hutchinson @.700
Timashov @.795/Petan@775

Hyman Tavares Marner
AJ Matthews Nylander
Mikheyev Kerfoot Kapanen
Comtois Gauthier Moore
Spezza/Shore

Can you also tell why this is Good for Ducks? Gives Up 2 roster players and get AHLers back.
You manager to make Ducks worse while filling 2 holes for Leafs..

Reactions: qqaz

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
The Sharks were interested at the last deadline. Bob asked him if wanted to go. He said no. I believe that was from a Stephens article during the off season somewhere. If Bob didn't force the issue last year he surely won't this year.
Oh i agree, its entirely up to miller. If he wants a chance im sure bob will find a team hed be okay with... if hes fine stayin in anaheim....its not like its a bad thing

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Leafs need up add toughness, a couple of defenders and upgrade their bottom 6 before addressing their backup goalie. Backup goalies don’t play in the playoffs in game 7 against Boston.
Their bottom 6 doesn’t need to be addressed a dman like Savard would be nice tho.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
His numbers are just as bad as Hutch's and 3.3 m more in cap hit. I understand you want to dump Howard but come on.

You don't know if you don't try! Plus, Howard's numbers are bad because the team is bad. Hutchinson is bad + his team is good.

But seriously, I wouldn't want Howard either.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Leafs don't need any young hotshot goalies as their backup. They have Andy for a couple years and Woll + Scott as the future candidiates.

We also don't need anyone expensive as our backup.

All we need is someone reasonable who doesn't completely **** the bed every time he starts a game and give up 4-5 goals. Just average competency is fine.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
As long as Leafs are cruising into the playoffs they aren't going to do anything. They only might do something a) at the deadline as an insurance policy for PO or 2) if Anderson's injury forces their hand.

Leafs aren't cruising anywhere right now. They have the 11th best points per game in the conference, have a brutal week coming up, and just lost one of their best players for a month. They could be in a tough spot by this time next week.

They are a Freddy Andersen injury away from things getting really ugly for them. They have some pretty major issues with that roster, and not many options to fix them.

Tit

Toast and jam
Sep 23, 2018
Bracco + a 3rd
(Or a future 2nd minus Bracco)

Leafs are pretty light on picks right now.
And we are going to need these picks over time to ice cheaper talent around our heavily loaded front end.

That being said, something needs to happen.
The team played horrendously bad defensively with Hutch in net, something like double the quality chances against, so that's not all on Hutch.

The leafs can't play defense.
That is where your problem is.
Is that the coaches fault? Maybe.
Is that the GMs fault for not icing a defensive lineup, Maybe.

I don't know who is to directly to blame, but it's blatantly obvious.
A backup wont save that or fix it or anything.
We lost what 9 or so points with Hutch, with that horrendous play what would Georgiev brought us
5 additional points? And we gave up a 2nd or whatever for it, doesn't add up.

Fix the team defense, that is your problem.
Babcock has had long enough to fix it and hasn't, time for him to go.

1dreamof1cup

Jan 9, 2016
Ryan Miller makes a good amount of sense.

Miller (1.125m, retained to .5625, pending UFA)
+ maybe a guy like Eaves? Only helps if his contract is uninsured, but its 3.25 on LTIR for just this year, wont matter to the Leafs.
+ Maxime Comtois (young cheap guy who can throw his weight around/has snarl) (860k)

So
[email protected]
Eaves@ 3.25 LTIR
Comtois @ .820
for
Bracco @.8425
Hutchinson @.700
Timashov @.795/Petan@775

Hyman Tavares Marner
AJ Matthews Nylander
Mikheyev Kerfoot Kapanen
Comtois Gauthier Moore
Spezza/Shore
Terrible proposal.

CreeksideStrangler

Feb 9, 2011
Toronto, ON
I'm not saying you're making it up but can you provide a source on that? I'm very curious to read the whole thing.

I remember watching a post game interview a few years back. found it once again while rooting through archives. So many post game interviews but he seemed to genuinely hate the team with a passion. it was after one of his many wins against us. If someone will ninja google skills could find it again id be greatful.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Double header coming up for the Leafs, with Boston and Pittsburgh.

It'll be interesting to see if Babcock chooses to start with Andersen, again, and then throw the rookie Kaskisuo to the wolves on that second night in Pittsburgh.

I mean, common sense would suggest that Babcock give the rookie the first game, at home, with a relatively rested Leafs team in front of him.

If he chooses to stick to his routine and it backfires (as it seems to always do), something's gotta give. Can't keep throwing the same formula together and hope for a different result.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Leafs need up add toughness, a couple of defenders and upgrade their bottom 6 before addressing their backup goalie. Backup goalies don’t play in the playoffs in game 7 against Boston.

Little confused about this notion. Moore, Mikheyev, Kerfoot and Kapanen are all at the very least average 3rd line players, and Gauthier looks like he's been bodysnatched this season. They definitely need a better RD than Cody Ceci to play defensive minutes, but the biggest issue is Babcock refuses to coach the team the way it's been built to play

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad