OT: 99th Obsequious Banter Thread: The Great One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
I would concur about that, if you're still trying to dog fight then you're doing it wrong.

They are basically building computers that can fly.

I'm just annoyed at how much the engineering sector is consumed by the DOD/MIC.
At the same time a ton of technology that first comes out from DOD/DARPA gets repurposed for civilian use in other capacities.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
At the same time a ton of technology that first comes out from DOD/DARPA gets repurposed for civilian use in other capacities.

grumble grumble.... 10 years in the DOD sector has left me very cynical to the whole profession of engineering. For any new engineers out there my only advice is to make sure you land a good first gig or quit asap (don't listen to anyone who tells you to stay in your first job for a while because it looks good optically).

At least with covid19 a lot more companies were forced to revise their archaic policies about being an office.

DayoftheGreek

Dec 10, 2008
grumble grumble.... 10 years in the DOD sector has left me very cynical to the whole profession of engineering. For any new engineers out there my only advice is to make sure you land a good first gig or quit asap (don't listen to anyone who tells you to stay in your first job for a while because it looks good optically).

At least with covid19 a lot more companies were forced to revise their archaic policies about being an office.
I had a similar experience with the DOD. I worked with the Navy, govt, and private contractors (Lockheed, Raytheon, Boeing, BAE, Northrop)for 4 years as an entry level engineer. After 2 years 10 months with the first company they didn't re-bid the contact and laid everyone off. I lost all my vesting in 401k since it required 3 years. Got re-hired immediately under a different sub contractor who picked up the work. In the 4 years I worked there I got a grand total of 0% raises. ZERO. I got fed up and left to the private sector for a 50% raise. The work itself was horrible, just endless meetings and red tape. The only things I learned were how to follow the insanely convoluted process to get things done. I did more engineering in the first few months at my new job then I did in years with my DOD job.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
I had a similar experience with the DOD. I worked with the Navy, govt, and private contractors (Lockheed, Raytheon, Boeing, BAE, Northrop)for 4 years as an entry level engineer. After 2 years 10 months with the first company they didn't re-bid the contact and laid everyone off. I lost all my vesting in 401k since it required 3 years. Got re-hired immediately under a different sub contractor who picked up the work. In the 4 years I worked there I got a grand total of 0% raises. ZERO. I got fed up and left to the private sector for a 50% raise. The work itself was horrible, just endless meetings and red tape. The only things I learned were how to follow the insanely convoluted process to get things done. I did more engineering in the first few months at my new job then I did in years with my DOD job.

I've been applying for jobs like crazy recently and the one thing key thing I've noticed is you need to be specialized in a skill set. The notion of being well rounded is a point less idea and doesn't make you a shoe in for any real engineering work. Sure you can be a "systems" engineer but that won't ever pay nearly as well and it'll most likely lead you into management (gross).

The best thing one can do is to become an expert / highly specialized in a particular field and command top dollar for that. There's also the benefit of being able to shroud yourself at work. Companies are very leery of hiring people with broad experience since you're an unknown quantity. I looked into getting a masters degree in data science but with the costs associated (~75,000 dollars) with that it might or might not be do-able (I dont want to stick around in my current outfit). It also helps if you can showcase your work (github / gitlab / professional website) since it gives a tangible reference to prospective employers.

I'm at the point in life where I think the whole nature of things are set up to be a game in which most people are financial losers and indebted to their job. (I'll avoid this side bar)

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Gov't mantra, hurry up and wait.

It's more like mis manage the whole project and then depend on a particular person or two to fix it.

I once traveled to Europe and before getting on the airplane asked the question "Why am i going if the equipment isn't there and tied up in customs?"... Sure enough after a few days I flew back home and accomplished nothing. Well I drank in London with 200 dollars per diem but got bitched at because of that.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Nw8c6KY.jpeg

"Snoop?? ...What are you doing?"

dDIY1Zf.jpeg

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Reactions: BernieParent
Status
Not open for further replies.