Prospect Info: #96 Tyce Thompson RW

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Providence big win tonight.

Has anyone heard anything recently?

Watching the Bratts and Gusevs of the world is getting old.

Any chance he is given a look when the Friars season ends or will he need time in the AHL first?

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Providence big win tonight.

Has anyone heard anything recently?

Watching the Bratts and Gusevs of the world is getting old.

Any chance he is given a look when the Friars season ends or will he need time in the AHL first?

Good question - guess it depends on how the team looks after the trade deadline.

If Fitz is able to ship out Palmieri, Gusev & Zajac, that'll open up a few more spots - though there's still a logjam of forwards vying for spots in the lineup and they may even want to give someone like Foote a look first. Hopefully Tyce at least goes to Binghamton and maybe gets a game or two in NJ once the Friars season is done.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
With the Friars loss in the Hockey East tournament semifinal last night, Thompson's season could be done. It all depends on if Providence is selected on Sunday for the NCAA tournament. A conference tournament win is an automatic bid so we'll have to wait and see. Honestly not anticipating it so I'm hoping that Fitz is starting to make some calls.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Definitely need to get him signed this offseason

Pronman claims he can elect UFA this offseason, but I think there are a couple of reasons for him to sign with NJ. He can burn an ELC year, and once the Devils sell off their UFAs, they'll have a lot of open slots with the big club. He's got a decent chance of playing NHL games this year, and if not, he'll likely have a top six spot in Binghampton with PP1 time. Hard to see much upside to going UFA unless he sees an even better opportunity elsewhere.

Reactions: My3Sons

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Pronman claims he can elect UFA this offseason...

Are you sure that's correct? CapFriendly has him as a UFA in summer 2022, which makes a lot more sense. He's an NCAA player, so he should be eligible after he graduates.

I'm wondering if someone misinterpreted Pronman, or Pronman misinterpreted someone else saying he'll be UFA "next summer" which may have actually meant "next summer after this one".

Reactions: HBK27

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Are you sure that's correct? CapFriendly has him as a UFA in summer 2022, which makes a lot more sense. He's an NCAA player, so he should be eligible after he graduates.

I'm wondering if someone misinterpreted Pronman, or Pronman misinterpreted someone else saying he'll be UFA "next summer" which may have actually meant "next summer after this one".

Here's what Pronman wrote in his "Top Free Agents from College Hockey and Europe" article back on March 2. (Bolding is mine)

NHL Affiliated Prospects

I decided for this year’s version of the free-agent rankings, to avoid angry fans and angrier industry sources, I will split the collegiate players who could become free agents into a separate list and note it’s only a possibility that these players will become free agents this summer.

Projected good NHL player
  1. David Farrance, D, Boston University-Hockey Easy (Nashville rights, senior)
Projected NHL player
  1. Ronnie Attard, D, Western Michigan-NCHC (Philadelphia rights, sophomore, can elect free agency)
  2. Tyce Thompson, C, Providence-Hockey East (New Jersey rights, junior, can elect free agency)
Top free agents from college hockey and Europe: Pronman ranks the best players available to NHL teams

Reactions: Nubmer6

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
It's a bit complicated, but Thompson was 20 when he was drafted (according to how the NHL does drafting), and 8.6.c.v deals with that:

If a Player drafted at age 20 or older is a bona fide college student at the
time of his selection or becomes a bona fide college student while his
drafting Club retains exclusive rights, then his drafting Club shall retain
those rights until the later of: (a) the second June 1 following the date of
his selection, or (b) thirty (30) days after NHL Central Registry receives
notice that the Player is no longer a bona fide college student; provided
that if the Player [is a senior].

I paraphrased it, but basically Thompson is potentially UFA either after the 2nd June 1 after his being selected (so that would be June 2021), provided that is earlier than the date of his potentially being a senior - as a senior, he can go UFA 30 days after he leaves school mid-season, if he leaves school after the season is over or before he graduates, or if he graduates. Since none of these things would happen before June 2021, Thompson is ineligible to be a free agent. That said, I could see him going back for another year.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
It's a bit complicated, but Thompson was 20 when he was drafted (according to how the NHL does drafting), and 8.6.c.v deals with that:

If a Player drafted at age 20 or older is a bona fide college student at the
time of his selection or becomes a bona fide college student while his
drafting Club retains exclusive rights, then his drafting Club shall retain
those rights until the later of: (a) the second June 1 following the date of
his selection, or (b) thirty (30) days after NHL Central Registry receives
notice that the Player is no longer a bona fide college student; provided
that if the Player [is a senior].

I paraphrased it, but basically Thompson is potentially UFA either after the 2nd June 1 after his being selected (so that would be June 2021), provided that is earlier than the date of his potentially being a senior - as a senior, he can go UFA 30 days after he leaves school mid-season, if he leaves school after the season is over or before he graduates, or if he graduates. Since none of these things would happen before June 2021, Thompson is ineligible to be a free agent. That said, I could see him going back for another year.

Ahh okay that makes sense. I forgot that he was a big overager when being drafted. Thanks!

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Yeah everywhere I look it says he can be a free agent August 2022, not 2021.

That is correct. There is no urgency for the Devils to sign him now to retain his rights.

Curious as to whether he or the Devils feel he is NHL ready or if he would benefit more from another year of college hockey.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
For what it's worth, I think he's ready for pro hockey now
Yeah, I don't think he needs another year of college.

I know this year was (and was expected) to be tougher for him between the shift from wing to center and no longer having Dugan around.

Dugan only played 2 seasons at Providence and has 12 points in 12 games (1 goal) so far for the Vegas AHL affiliate. I'm sure Fitz will make it worth his while to go pro as soon as the Friar's season is over. This is also a unique season where Tyce can get a lot of AHL games in (and maybe some NHL) in the same season as the collegiate one.

We'll know on Sunday night whether or not Providence makes it to the playoffs.

I don't know much about how the teams are selected (other than 6 conference champs receive automatic bids), but this site "attempts to mimic the method used by the NCAA Selection Committee to determine participants for the NCAA Division I men's hockey tournament." They have Providence ranked 23rd, which doesn't seem to give them much of a chance to make the tournament. Notable for other prospects is that UConn (22nd), Notre Dame (24th), Arizona State (29th) and Penn State (29th) are all also low on the list.

https://www.uscho.com/rankings/pairwise-rankings/d-i-men/

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I don’t think he’s going back to Providence, here’s a quote from a Friars Assistant Coach from Wheeler’s January 31st Prospect rankings.
Here’s Beal on Thompson: “I think he’s the real deal. I think he’s an NHL player. I think he’ll have a long NHL career. He’s the type of kid you build a program around. And it’s because he really does everything right. The numbers were what they were last year. To be able to repeat them is hard for anybody to do, so I’m not sure if he gets back to those types of numbers, but in terms of what he brings to the team and the value that he has in all three zones, and the type of kid that he is, we’re really fortunate, to be honest, to have him this year. The only reason we do have him back this year is because I don’t think he’s mature physically enough to make the jump to the next level. He was able to watch his brother (Tage) who has been up and down with the AHL and NHL and I think looking at that experience, he saw the benefit of coming back. We played him at the wing all of last season and we’re playing him down the middle this year so he’s a versatile player. I think he’s probably a better winger than he is centre, and it’s going to be a lot harder to put up numbers down the middle. And the other thing is if you watched any of last year’s games, we had Jack Duggan who is one of the most prolific playmakers in college hockey that we’ve seen in the last five or six years. Tyce is a hell of a kid. We’re just excited to have him back this year.”

Wheeler’s 2021 NHL prospect pool rankings: No. 11 New Jersey Devils

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Yeah, I don't think he needs another year of college.

I know this year was (and was expected) to be tougher for him between the shift from wing to center and no longer having Dugan around.

Dugan only played 2 seasons at Providence and has 12 points in 12 games (1 goal) so far for the Vegas AHL affiliate. I'm sure Fitz will make it worth his while to go pro as soon as the Friar's season is over. This is also a unique season where Tyce can get a lot of AHL games in (and maybe some NHL) in the same season as the collegiate one.

We'll know on Sunday night whether or not Providence makes it to the playoffs.

I don't know much about how the teams are selected (other than 6 conference champs receive automatic bids), but this site "attempts to mimic the method used by the NCAA Selection Committee to determine participants for the NCAA Division I men's hockey tournament." They have Providence ranked 23rd, which doesn't seem to give them much of a chance to make the tournament. Notable for other prospects is that UConn (22nd), Notre Dame (24th), Arizona State (29th) and Penn State (29th) are all also low on the list.

https://www.uscho.com/rankings/pairwise-rankings/d-i-men/

Tough year for the committee but didn't realize Providence was ranked that low.

Hard to imagine them getting an at-large bid (particularly if Lowell wins the Hockey East tournament and with teams like Michigan and UM-D also on the bubble).

Will be interesting to see how Army or ABC is treated if they don't win the AH tournament since that conference rarely receives two bids. The ECAC being limited to four teams is another challenge for the committee.

Don't see any way that Penn State, UConn, Arizona State or Notre Dame make the tournament.

Which makes me wonder if Matt Hellickson will join Binghamton or wait until the summer to become an UFA.

Reactions: HBK27

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
You’d think Fitz offering to burn a year of the ELC with the early signing would be enough incentive to sign. Why push his payday that much further away if he doesn’t have to? NJ presents a real opportunity for a young player.

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ

Ranking before yesterday's semi-final loss to UMass.
16Providence
(11-9-5-0-0)
prv.png
Sneaks in ahead of UConn thanks to the HEA quarterfinal win over the Huskies. Easily could've put Lake Superior State in this slot as well. Or Notre Dame. Committee has a tough call on its hands.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

2020‑21 Power 16

Reactions: HBK27 and Darkauron

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006

Ranking before yesterday's semi-final loss to UMass.
16Providence
(11-9-5-0-0)
prv.png
Sneaks in ahead of UConn thanks to the HEA quarterfinal win over the Huskies. Easily could've put Lake Superior State in this slot as well. Or Notre Dame. Committee has a tough call on its hands.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
2020‑21 Power 16

Interesting. In reading Adam Wodon's column on www.collegehockeynews.com he has the Friars making the tournament. I'd imagine in part to maintain an East/West balance.

I'd imagine the conference final between Lowell and UMass could effect that - as would St. Lawrence upsetting Quinnipiac.

Reactions: Tao Jones

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
very curious about him. late bloomer, put up some good offensive numbers in college the past 2 years but really not sure what his upside is in the nhl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad