Prospect Info: #96 Tyce Thompson RW

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
Tyce has 17 G, 18 A for 35 points in 23 games this season. Is he a late bloomer (sounds strange saying that for a 20 year old kid) or is this some kind of statistical anomaly? 23 games is a modest sample size but these numbers jump out at you. I haven’t seen him play so I’m not educated to formulate an informed opinion. As a previous poster remarked, let’s hope the Devils have found a diamond in the rough. I recall most of us were not too pleased with his selection and were more enamored with guys like Ryder Donovan. I’m curious how Donovan is playing as a comparison?

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Tyce has 17 G, 18 A for 35 points in 23 games this season. Is he a late bloomer (sounds strange saying that for a 20 year old kid) or is this some kind of statistical anomaly? 23 games is a modest sample size but these numbers jump out at you. I haven’t seen him play so I’m not educated to formulate an informed opinion. As a previous poster remarked, let’s hope the Devils have found a diamond in the rough. I recall most of us were not too pleased with his selection and were more enamored with guys like Ryder Donovan. I’m curious how Donovan is playing as a comparison?

@Dux917 posted an article in the prospects thread: Prospect Info: - CHL, NCAA and European 2019-20 Prospects Thread III

It seems like as a freshman he wasn't on a top scoring line or the powerplay, but by the end of the season the upperclassmen were asking the coaches to put him on their line. So he really started blooming last season and that's certainly what got him picked in the 4th round.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
FYI, this is good for 2nd in the entire NCAA in PPG this season.
His teammate is #1, 6 points ahead of him in same amount of games...I haven't seen him play but there seem to be a lot of big point producers on that team, which always makes me question how much is superior skill vs a dominant team...not trying to take anything away from the accomplishments just trying to gauge it realistically.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
@StevenToddIves

Does Thompson profile as more as a center or a RW at higher levels? I’ve read conflicting reports as to where his future might be and what’s expected for his development. Thanks!

I'd say Thompson profiles more as a RW to me than a C. Right now he looks like a legit, goal-scoring 2nd line winger -- which would be a heck of a find in the 4th round (96th overall).

I also feel the need to add that I was one of the people who questioned Thompson's selection in the draft last year. I'm thrilled that this kid is proving me wrong -- he's truly become a force at the NCAA level and, with his scoring acumen and size, there's no reason to believe that he won't continue developing into a terrific hockey player.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I also feel the need to add that I was one of the people who questioned Thompson's selection in the draft last year. I'm thrilled that this kid is proving me wrong -- he's truly become a force at the NCAA level and, with his scoring acumen and size, there's no reason to believe that he won't continue developing into a terrific hockey player.

We all did, and I think a few of us even said 'wouldn't it be funny if he turned out to be a really good player?'

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011

To answer my own question, I see Donovan has just 1 goal and 1 assist in 16 games with University of Wisconsin. Suffice to say, Thompson looks like the superior prospect now. What did the Devils scouts see that we missed?

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
To answer my own question, I see Donovan has just 1 goal and 1 assist in 16 games with University of Wisconsin. Suffice to say, Thompson looks like the superior prospect now. What did the Devils scouts see that we missed?

Just purely a guess here, but here's what I'm thinking...

As propsect-oriented hockey fans, we tend to focus a lot of our attention on the young players that are going to be draft eligible for the first time. With 32 points in 60 USHL games in 2017-2018, Thompson was not even worthy of a 7th round pick. He was actually undrafted twice. That said, I imagine that if he lit up the scoresheet for Providence in his freshman year, we would have known who he was. Maybe he still wouldn't have been a first round pick, because of his age, but probably at least a second round pick. But a guy that gets passed over twice and then puts up okay numbers in his freshman year is not going to make casual fans sit up and take notice.

NHL scouts, on the other hand, have a very different perspective. They watch these NCAA games closely, and will notice an undrafted kid that is playing very well, even if he isn't putting up a ton of points. The Devils had to assume that they weren't the only ones to notice this kid, so they couldn't risk waiting until the 6th or 7th round. So they used a 4th rounder on a kid that had some warts (double overager, limited offensive production to that point), but also upside. Which is like every other mid-late round pick when you think about it. They sure didn't know he was going to pop, but they knew he could, and in this case it worked out. The funny thing is, if he had fizzled in his Sophmore year, we'd all be killing the Ray and the scouts for that wasted pick.

Reactions: longislanddevil

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
A 16, about-to-be 17 year old Tyce Thompson tries out for the USHL Dubuque Fighting Saints. I guess he didn't make the team since Hockeydb doesn't have USHL stats for him in 2015-2016. So what, he was playing high school and club hockey until 2016-2017 (when he played all of 3 USHL games)? That's like some Miles Wood shit right there.

Man, look at that skating, even as a 16 year old raw talent he just skates like the wind. It's just so silky smooth and effortless. The difference between a schlub wanna-be like me and someone with the ability to play D1/pro hockey. :)

Edit: Oops, here's his tryout tape from the following year.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Reactions: Blackjack

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
A 16, about-to-be 17 year old Tyce Thompson tries out for the USHL Dubuque Fighting Saints. I guess he didn't make the team since Hockeydb doesn't have USHL stats for him in 2015-2016. So what, he was playing high school and club hockey until 2016-2017 (when he played all of 3 USHL games)? That's like some Miles Wood **** right there.

Played at Salisbury, a prep school in Ct, so yeah very Miles Wood like(not to mention the NHL blood lines), but also a pretty high level of hockey. I see at least one other kid on that team who was drafted, and a bunch of those guys are currently playing Div 1.

Which was his initial draft year which is interesting, as well as the fact that he had a late growth spurt, again, after his initial draft season. Some of the elements which add up to how this kid was such a sleeper. Always love the late draft year birthdays too when looking for added potential. Tyce with a June B-day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad