OT: 94th Obsequious Banter Thread: Where Ryan Ellis Performs Nightly

(See post #4) Our power is immense. What shall we do?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Well, I trust you working today means you won't work NYE? I'd rather that tbh.

I won't have off NYE for another 4 years I think. I'll probably try to switch next year so I can get sloshed with my friends in Philly

The last NYE I was at the girl’s friend proposed at it. Her younger sister engaged a few months ago. Her Best friend recently preggo.

Picking up a NYE shift this year might just be something smart to do hah

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017
Just one?

My dad is one of seven kids and tonight we had four of them in attendance. One of them wasn't there because he is straight up paranoid insane. One is/was a raging alcoholic and I'm not 100% sure where he currently is. One of them didn't come because she has a daughter who refused to come because two people in attendance are unvaccinated, but they both did test negative this morning. I think that one is at least situationally understandable. Oh, and one of the sisters actually lives at the sister's house we were at. She just won't leave, so although there were four siblings at the house, one of those four is also off the rails.

I am one of four and I only speak to one of the others. Technically the other two are half siblings, but I have talked to one of them twice over the past 10 years because he is a total butthat and the other one recently joined my shit list when she was entirely unreasonable while yelling at one of my employees. I literally had to warn people I worked with (her kid's teachers, the principal of the building, and corresponding supervisors and directors) because at some point she was going to pull the "Well my brother said I can..." and I wanted them to know that she was lying from the start. And her heroine addicted son once robbed my house while I was gone for the weekend.

The one sibling I talk to is literally a convicted felon. No actual jail time, but she plead guilty and essentially ruined her life with her actions.

That doesn't even include my mom's side of the family where she is the sole survivor of three. One of them died due a prescription pain killer addiction and the other committed suicide a few years ago.

At any point, between my siblings and their kids, my parents and their siblings, and my cousins*, there are probably double digit people who could do something insane at any given moment, especially at a family gathers, and just ruin everything.

It absolutely sucks having family members who are embarrassments at just being a functioning human. I have zero fudges to give for people who can't keep it together for at least an hour or two. Instead, those people are dead to me. I go by the rule of "if you aren't at worst having a neutral effect on my life, you're out". The type of person you described would get words once and then never invited again.

And people wonder why I'd quit my job, moved to the beach, and interact with my family as little as possible. We don't get to choose who we're related to, but we can choose how we interact with them. I choose "not".

*I didn't even go into how my cousin has been dating his girlfriend for 5 years and now his dad (my uncle) is dating his girlfriend's mom. And my cousin may or may not be responsible for killing his girlfriend's sister (and his dad's girlfriend's daughter) in a car accident two years ago. That whole situation is a saga by itself.
200 (6).gif

:DD

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Just one?

My dad is one of seven kids and tonight we had four of them in attendance. One of them wasn't there because he is straight up paranoid insane. One is/was a raging alcoholic and I'm not 100% sure where he currently is. One of them didn't come because she has a daughter who refused to come because two people in attendance are unvaccinated, but they both did test negative this morning. I think that one is at least situationally understandable. Oh, and one of the sisters actually lives at the sister's house we were at. She just won't leave, so although there were four siblings at the house, one of those four is also off the rails.

I am one of four and I only speak to one of the others. Technically the other two are half siblings, but I have talked to one of them twice over the past 10 years because he is a total butthat and the other one recently joined my shit list when she was entirely unreasonable while yelling at one of my employees. I literally had to warn people I worked with (her kid's teachers, the principal of the building, and corresponding supervisors and directors) because at some point she was going to pull the "Well my brother said I can..." and I wanted them to know that she was lying from the start. And her heroine addicted son once robbed my house while I was gone for the weekend.

The one sibling I talk to is literally a convicted felon. No actual jail time, but she plead guilty and essentially ruined her life with her actions.

That doesn't even include my mom's side of the family where she is the sole survivor of three. One of them died due a prescription pain killer addiction and the other committed suicide a few years ago.

At any point, between my siblings and their kids, my parents and their siblings, and my cousins*, there are probably double digit people who could do something insane at any given moment, especially at a family gathers, and just ruin everything.

It absolutely sucks having family members who are embarrassments at just being a functioning human. I have zero fudges to give for people who can't keep it together for at least an hour or two. Instead, those people are dead to me. I go by the rule of "if you aren't at worst having a neutral effect on my life, you're out". The type of person you described would get words once and then never invited again.

And people wonder why I'd quit my job, moved to the beach, and interact with my family as little as possible. We don't get to choose who we're related to, but we can choose how we interact with them. I choose "not".

*I didn't even go into how my cousin has been dating his girlfriend for 5 years and now his dad (my uncle) is dating his girlfriend's mom. And my cousin may or may not be responsible for killing his girlfriend's sister (and his dad's girlfriend's daughter) in a car accident two years ago. That whole situation is a saga by itself.
Sadly holiday time is not a joyous time for many people.

Dysfunctional families, no or little family, singles, etc. etc. It runs the gamut...

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
My neighbor lost her mom recently and she was thankful for the christmas lights I put out this year. It was nice to know my work brought her some joy.

My friend also lost his mom a couple of weeks ago and I know he feels pretty hollow....

I am sure we all have our episodes and stories...

The worst though are the scrooges who have some kind of pathology and have to bring everybody else down with them during the holidays. I have such a scrooge in the family....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad