Player Discussion #93 - Sam Bennett

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Dude, just stop. Hathaway has 23 points in over 100 games, which means Bennett has outscored him each season he’s played. Full stop.

Bennett shows skill and isn’t a 4th line grinder. Just because he hasn’t put it all together doesn’t mean he’s a bust or has peaked. You’d have to be completely delusional to think Hath is anything more than an energy guy.

Hathaway's really only played one full season and scored in that year (his rookie year) at a rate decently comparable to what Bennett was doing in his third year. No reason to think that as he gets more acclimated to the NHL he can't score more or less at the rate that Bennett did last year and the year before. I think the problem here is that you're reading my posts as if they're saying Sam Bennett's upside is Garnet Hathaway, when what I'm trying to say is that Garnet Hathaway's upside is Sam Bennett.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I think with Bennett at this point, what you see is what you get. After this contract is up his role can pretty easily be filled by guys with legitimate top six potential who are on their ELC. Hell, by next year, Hathaway will probably be a decent Bennett replacement.

Sucks that he couldn't figure it out at the NHL level but you've gotta let bygones be bygones at this point. Every other bottom-sixer in the NHL can basically play to Bennett's level and essentially replicate his game. Not worth holding onto, the upside is just flat out not there.

Bennett will never be a top scorer but he is still a level above a plug like Hathaway who is nothing more than a 4th liner or 13 forward. The moment you rely on Hathaway for anything you are screwed

Also, Bennett is going nowhere. The Flames are not going to get anything that is better than him in trade.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
Bennett will never be a top scorer but he is still a level above a plug like Hathaway who is nothing more than a 4th liner or 13 forward. The moment you rely on Hathaway for anything you are screwed

Also, Bennett is going nowhere. The Flames are not going to get anything that is better than him in trade.

He's currently a step above Hathaway but Hath has barely sniffed the NHL. I think he's got a 50/50 chance at being a serviceable bottom-six forward who provides essentially everything Bennett does.

Also not saying Bennett is getting traded, just that there's little reason to re-sign him when he's so easily replaceable by someone who could come cheaper.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
I think with Bennett at this point, what you see is what you get. After this contract is up his role can pretty easily be filled by guys with legitimate top six potential who are on their ELC. Hell, by next year, Hathaway will probably be a decent Bennett replacement.

Sucks that he couldn't figure it out at the NHL level but you've gotta let bygones be bygones at this point. Every other bottom-sixer in the NHL can basically play to Bennett's level and essentially replicate his game. Not worth holding onto, the upside is just flat out not there.

Lol one of the dumbest posts I've seen in a while.

Bennett is 3x the player Hathaway will ever be. They're not even remotely comparable. Give your head a long, long shake.

Lol dumb post is incredibly dumb

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
Lol one of the dumbest posts I've seen in a while.

Bennett is 3x the player Hathaway will ever be. They're not even remotely comparable. Give your head a long, long shake.

Lol dumb post is incredibly dumb

Rough that there are still folks riding the Bennett train this hard. He's a career bottom sixer, so is Hathaway.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
Rough that there are still folks riding the Bennett train this hard. He's a career bottom sixer, so is Hathaway.

Even if they're both career bottom 6'ers, Hathaway still isn't anywhere near as good a player as Bennett.

There's literally ZERO evidence that Hathaway is even close to being as good as Bennett.

It's an insult to Bennett to have Hathaway compared to him

Reactions: Janks

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
Even if they're both career bottom 6'ers, Hathaway still isn't anywhere near as good a player as Bennett.

There's literally ZERO evidence that Hathaway is even close to being as good as Bennett.

It's an insult to Bennett to have Hathaway compared to him

Except, you know, the fact that they played on the same line, had comparable point totals, played similarly effective defensive games, and have similar physical presences on the ice, all while Bennett was in his third year and Hathaway was a rookie.

A 25-point forward with grit and a passable defensive game is entirely within Hathaway's capabilities as a player. That is absolutely all that Bennett is right now.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
Except, you know, the fact that they played on the same line, had comparable point totals, played similarly effective defensive games, and have similar physical presences on the ice, all while Bennett was in his third year and Hathaway was a rookie.

A 25-point forward with grit and a passable defensive game is entirely within Hathaway's capabilities as a player. That is absolutely all that Bennett is right now.

Lmao Bennett blows Hathaway out of the water in every analytical category

Reactions: Janks

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
Lmao Bennett blows Hathaway out of the water in every analytical category

You're misunderstanding my argument or being willfully ignorant. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt because I don't want to be an asshole. I'm saying that while Hathaway is not as good as Bennett now, after three or four years of NHL experience there's no reason to believe that he can't provide what Bennett's providing to us right now.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
You're misunderstanding my argument or being willfully ignorant. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt because I don't want to be an *******. I'm saying that while Hathaway is not as good as Bennett now, after three or four years of NHL experience there's no reason to believe that he can't provide what Bennett's providing to us right now.

Hathaway is 27 and has parts of 4 years worth of NHL experience

Bennett is 22 and has parts of 5 years worth of NHL experience

Hmm

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
Hathaway is 27 and has parts of 4 years worth of NHL experience

Bennett is 22 and has parts of 5 years worth of NHL experience

Hmm

This is misleading and you know it. Hathaway had never played more than half a season in the NHL before last.

Either go to bed or watch the San Jose game. Might be good for you to actually pay attention to hockey with your own eyes.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Sam Bennett is not a Hathaway

He is the next Blake Comeau lol

For those that disagreed Comeau once scored 20 goals then he lost all his offense....Bennett is heading that way, there is no denying that....

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I do love this kid's play and drive.
There's no finish there, I'm starting to wonder if Calgary may be better off trying to move him for an upgrade.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
There's no finish there, I'm starting to wonder if Calgary may be better off trying to move him for an upgrade.

Like a 2nd rounder or another bust like Shrikaruk?

Nobody is going to give any real value for him. They are better off keeping him.....he is a good bottom 6 player....just dont expect any real scoring and you would be very happy with him

BTW, in 3 yrs, I predict Bennett will be our modern day goon...lol

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
And why would anyone give up an upgrade for Bennett? Everyone knows what he is at this point.

Because you’re packaging him along with something else. Bennett still holds value in this league. Somewhere between what OKG and the other side of OKG type posters think.

Thinking there’s no GM in the league who’d make a move for a guy like Bennett is ridiculous.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I'd rather retain Bennett's grit and fighting prowess than hock him for whatever garbage we'd be offered. He's not gonna fetch much, and I doubt it'd be worth packaging him.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Did anyone see what this guy is referring to?

Butke was just saying they knew Bennett wouldn't be a top 6 player. He went on to say he won't ever be a goal scorer but they knew he would be a physical player.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

From CP, I don't think there is any reason ever to take a player you don't think has top 6 upside at 4th overall. If you believe that draft is so bad there's not a single player likely to turn out better than a 3rd/4th liner you trade the pick.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
Wonder why that is? Hint - Hath’s a career plugger, not a regular NHL’er.

So wait a minute, guys who have played parts of a season before making the jump full time are destined to be plugs? This is really interesting news, we should probably ditch Andersson at the end of this year considering he played parts of two NHL seasons before this one.

Fact is that Hathaway is in the lineup over Peluso, has as many points as Dube and Ryan while playing fewer games, and was a ppg forward in the AHL. There is a really good chance that he could make an average third-liner in a year or two, which is all Bennett has shown himself to be.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I saw Burke say those comments, to me it came across as though that was his opinion upon watching Bennett’s development. Obviously the Flames wouldn’t have taken him if that was their initial projection of him. They would have likely taken Nylander.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

Butke was just saying they knew Bennett wouldn't be a top 6 player. He went on to say he won't ever be a goal scorer but they knew he would be a physical player.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
From CP, I don't think there is any reason ever to take a player you don't think has top 6 upside at 4th overall. If you believe that draft is so bad there's not a single player likely to turn out better than a 3rd/4th liner you trade the pick.
It's from a Burke segment during an intermission from a week ago. You can watch it here

While Burke did say he doesn't think Bennett is going to be a prolific goal scorer, he didn't say that he knew that going in to the draft. He actually implied that they believed he was going to be that difference maker after his rookie season including that four goal game against Florida.

Basically that cesspool poster is full of hot air and another reason why you can't trust posters with agendas.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Burke likes to be the smartest guy in the room so it doesn't surprise me that he's saying things like that now. He also compared Sam Bennett to Doug Gilmour.

When Backlund was struggling Burke proclaimed he'd never be more than a third line centre in the league.

I wouldn't put too much stock into what Burke says, particularly as he's no longer with the Flames organization.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
The time to move Bennett was early last year at the latest. Now you're not likely to get a GM who thinks he has significant growth potential beyond what he currently is, so his trade value would likely be disappointing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad