Player Discussion #93 - Sam Bennett

Aug 3, 2010
Heading into 2015-2016, what are your expectations of Bennett?

Just as a reminder of his recent accomplishments:

- Scored at a 1.6 PPG clip on a pretty unimpressive team in Kingston with a substantial shoulder injury; essentially carried the offense and the team into their post-season despite losing in the first round.

- Posted a 0.38 PPG in the NHL playoffs (30pts/82 game pace) vs Vancouver and Anaheim playing middle-six winger minutes.

So the important questions:

- Which line do you think he'll start opening night on?

- Which position will he be slotted into for the majority of the season?

- How many points or what PPG pace do you expect to be reasonable?

- How many chin-ups should he be able to do?

Aug 3, 2010
To get things started:

I think he'll start on the third line left wing alongside Jooris and Raymond and mostly play wing this season unless injuries happen early on. I expect around 35-40 points will be possible as he should see some second unit powerplay time and if he's been good/responsible enough, 3v3 OT time.

Last of all, as long as he can do over 15 chin-ups I'm satisfied.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
I think he'll start on the third line similarly to how Monahan was used in his rookie year. I think he'll be pretty good as I would imagine hes working out and adding size this summer like an insane person. I would guess he'll have around 50pts, as he'll get some power play time, probably at left wing.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I think he'll start on the third line left wing alongside Jooris and Raymond and mostly play wing this season unless injuries happen early on. I expect around 35-40 points will be possible as he should see some second unit powerplay time and if he's been good/responsible enough, 3v3 OT time.

I agree with this, except I think he'll play third line centre. Unless he's awful at centre.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
He showed a good connection with Backlund in the PO's, why do so many of you think he's on the 3rd line for the season?

Bennett/Backlund/Frolik, with Bennett taking the odd shift at centre. I would expect all 3 to get at least 40 and push 50 points.

He's the best choice currently for the last top 6 spot.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
Heading into 2015-2016, what are your expectations of Bennett?

Just as a reminder of his recent accomplishments:

- Scored at a 1.6 PPG clip on a pretty unimpressive team in Kingston with a substantial shoulder injury; essentially carried the offense and the team into their post-season despite losing in the first round.

- Posted a 0.38 PPG in the NHL playoffs (30pts/82 game pace) vs Vancouver and Anaheim playing middle-six winger minutes.
How many chin-ups should he be able to do?
Well when Gary Roberts showed up to his first Flames camp he was only able to do 2 chin-ups and did not attempt them while requiring shoulder surgery. If he can do 3 then he can eventually catch up to a guy who in his late 40s can probably do more than any player.

Which line do you think he'll start opening night on?
2nd line minutes Backlund + Frolik assuming they can split tough match-ups between that line the Monahan Gaudreau Hudler line and the Stajan Bouma Jones line.

Reason behind it is those are 2 very hard working 2-way players that will also be there for offensive opportunities. We don't have an immediate need for Sam to play centre in his rookie season and that part of the game can come during an injury.

Another interesting line would be putting him between Colbourne and Byron 2 guys that can often help offensive players get going even if they aren't a good line to end up on once you are scoring.

Which position will he be slotted into for the majority of the season?
I like putting him with Backlund so I would say 2/3rds LW 1/3 C obviously could be wrong if they want him on the 3rd line and then it would be the reverse.

How many points or what PPG pace do you expect to be reasonable?
36 points he's a very good hockey player and even though he's 19 he has slightly higher skill, speed, and experience than Monahan did at that age and could potentially have better linemates so should equal or slightly better Monahan's rookie season I'd be happy with 18-18-36. If I had to make a guess though about actual points I'd go for 39.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
So the important questions:

- Which line do you think he'll start opening night on?
3rd line C
- Which position will he be slotted into for the majority of the season?
2nd line LW
- How many points or what PPG pace do you expect to be reasonable?
10-15 goals, 30-35 points over a full season
- How many chin-ups should he be able to do?
1 billion

answers in red

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Over 9000 chin-ups, obviously.

I also feel he'll be started on third-line centre, at least for the first few games. Then we'll see if it makes sense to switch things up.

danmcd15

Jul 11, 2014
He showed a good connection with Backlund in the PO's, why do so many of you think he's on the 3rd line for the season?

Bennett/Backlund/Frolik, with Bennett taking the odd shift at centre. I would expect all 3 to get at least 40 and push 50 points.

Based on how he played in the playoffs, what his character is like and how much skill he has, I think he should easily get top 6 minutes. I think it will be a mish-mash of C and LW and definitely 2nd PP minutes.

Bennett doesn't need to be sheltered. He battles and plays D like he's been in the NHL for a few years. Hartley won't put too much pressure on him until late in the season if need be, but whatever is thrown his way he'll handle just fine.

I sort of see Bennett as the defining part of this team. He just does too many things well, and I think it won't be long before we see a huge burst in his abilities.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada

I agree with this. Don't see him playing center unless injuries occur.

Aug 3, 2010
I wonder what happens with Bennett's wing position if Poirier makes the team out of camp.

Also, does anyone recall if Monahan has spent any time on the wing in his first two seasons? As far as I can recall, he was always groomed as a centre and played as such. I wonder if Bennett should get the same treatment or why should he not?

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
My dream is to see Ferland and Poirier really step up their games.

Second line of:
Ferland - Bennett - Poirier

So much grit :laugh:

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
1. I think he will start and finish the season as 2nd line LW
2. Lw
3. 35-45 points
4.Not enough should be traded for a recently drafted late round pick with the potential for great pullup ability.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I think they run with a Bennett - Monahan - Gaudreau line full-time by the end of the year.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I think he'll be either 3rd line C or 2nd line LW, and I'd expect roughly 0.45-0.55 points/game out of him. I'll say he starts the season on Backlund's left wing and transitions rapidly to center.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

He's a center. The best way for him to learn how to play center is not by playing wing.

When you need him on Backlund's wing you can put him there, but the intent should be to get him at center from the beginning. In limited time at C he even looked pretty decent on faceoffs in the playoffs, which is probably the biggest concern about keeping him at C.

Also, having him as our 3C lets Jooris and Granlund play wing where they can be more effective.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
He's a center. The best way for him to learn how to play center is not by playing wing.

When you need him on Backlund's wing you can put him there, but the intent should be to get him at center from the beginning. In limited time at C he even looked pretty decent on faceoffs in the playoffs, which is probably the biggest concern about keeping him at C.

Also, having him as our 3C lets Jooris and Granlund play wing where they can be more effective.
Bennett has been playing centre his whole life, he knows how to play centre. What he doesn't know is how to play in the NHL and how to do it as a top 6 forward. Learning the NHL on the wing hasn't hurt Seguin at all.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Oh, and Bennett will start the season as the third line centre. Will be sheltered, like Monahan was, for a large part of the season, but still getting at least 15 minutes a game. If Hudler or Frolik are on his wing, the whole lines' offensive production will be good enough that they'll be the de facto second line by the end of the season.

The only ice time he'll see all season as a winger will be on the second powerplay unit beside Backlund for the most part. By the end of the year, he'll be at centre with Backlund on his wing.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
Oh, and Bennett will start the season as the third line centre. Will be sheltered, like Monahan was, for a large part of the season, but still getting at least 15 minutes a game. If Hudler or Frolik are on his wing, the whole lines' offensive production will be good enough that they'll be the de facto second line by the end of the season.

The only ice time he'll see all season as a winger will be on the second powerplay unit beside Backlund for the most part. By the end of the year, he'll be at centre with Backlund on his wing.

Didn’t Monny start out as the 3C, or am I imagining things? Behind Backlund and… Hudler? Cammy? Am I missing someone?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->