Speculation: 91 - Fedorov Jersey Retirement?

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
No problem not retiring Fedorov's number. No current or incoming Red Wings player will wear the number for generations anyway out of respect.

But if you don't retire Fedorov, then you don't retire Datsyuk, Zetterberg or anyone else who previously played for the Wings either. If your standard is Lidstrom or Yzerman-level careers then so be it. It's possible we never see another number go up in our lifetimes if that is indeed the case, though.

BTW this is what Chris said a few years ago about Fedorov's retirement. Didn't say it would never happen, but that retiring jersey numbers is an ongoing conversation within the organization.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
But if you don't retire Fedorov, then you don't retire Datsyuk, Zetterberg or anyone else who previously played for the Wings either. If your standard is Lidstrom or Yzerman-level careers then so be it. It's possible we never see another number go up in our lifetimes if that is indeed the case, though.
Retiring a number isn't necessarily about being the best player, but contribution to the team.

Also, there's only so many numbers to go around, you can't retire them all unless you want to see three digit numbers. It's a GOOD thing to have a high criteria for number retirement. The standard SHOULD be Lidstrom/Yzerman level.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
What Fedorov did wasn't really that bad. If Wings are allowed to change minds on players like they did with Cujo to bring Hasek back, why can't the player go where he wants? Illitches expected super loyalty but it seems that loyalty was only one way sometimes, honestly. While I super respect players that are super loyal ala Yzerman, Lidstrom, Zetterberg, etc, the players still have lives to lead with families/children who may or may not want to live somewhere and that will be with them when they retire while the team won't be.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I fault the organization more than Sergei, Sergei was going through some stuff and they played around with him in negotiations. The relationship broke down through the two contracts and there was no coming back.

My base feeling on this is he deserves it, but won't happen. And I understand and I am fine with it. I do feel like people either just don't know or have lost sight of just how incredible he was.

As a wing Datsyuk only played one more season than him and Zetterberg 2 more.

Last edited:
Reactions: HisNoodliness

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013
91 needs to go up. He is the only player since Bobby Clark to win the Hart and Selke in the same year. I think it is time to put the grudge behind us and celebrate all the things he did for the team.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I fault the organization more than Sergei, Sergei was going through some stuff and they played around with him in negotiations. The relationship broke down through the two contracts and there was no coming back.

My base feeling on this is he deserves it, but won't happen. And I understand and I am fine with it. I do feel like people either just don't know or have lost sight of just how incredible he was.

As a wing Datsyuk only played one more season than him and Zetterberg 2 more.

From my understanding, it is Jim Devellano who is carrying out Mr I’s wishes and not retiring his number and allowing the grudge to continue
At this point, it really is silly. I'm excited for some of the old guard to die off so someone with some sense can retire his number. I certainly feel a hell of a lot more loyalty to Fedorov than I do to the Illitches or Devellano, and stuff like this really serves as a stain on the team for me. He's the one that actually put blood sweat and tears on the ice for this team. He won us cups and was one of the best players in the world. You had a bad breakup, and here we are twenty years later still bitter about it, what are you Taylor Swift?! These people might have lived a long time, but they have the maturity of a teenager. They need to get over it, and acknowledge one of our all-time greats.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
At this point, it really is silly. I'm excited for some of the old guard to die off so someone with some sense can retire his number. I certainly feel a hell of a lot more loyalty to Fedorov than I do to the Illitches or Devellano, and stuff like this really serves as a stain on the team for me. He's the one that actually put blood sweat and tears on the ice for this team. He won us cups and was one of the best players in the world. You had a bad breakup, and here we are twenty years later still bitter about it, what are you Taylor Swift?! These people might have lived a long time, but they have the maturity of a teenager. They need to get over it, and acknowledge one of our all-time greats.
You really have never read any of the accounts of Federov's time in Detroit. He was not self-motivated. The other Russians were needed to push him to play.

Having a jersey retired is not just about stats, it is about character and devotion to the franchise.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Since I bumped this thread for something non-jersey retirement related, I will add I'm a firm supporter in retiring 91, 13, and 40. I think all 3 of those guys were supremely talented and really helped build the Red Wings brand and brought a lot of new fans to the team.

I wonder if ownership has had conversations with Stevie on this since he took over, since he is a former teammate. Especially with the case of Fedorov. Would be cool if he could help get his number up.

DonkeyOT

Jul 18, 2021
Pavel and Henrik didn't try to personally bankrupt and destroy Mike Ilitch empire. Fedorov should NEVER go into the rafters for that reason. Full stop. I don't care if he was "going though things". His actions have ramifications. Keep 91 out of circulation, but he doesn't deserve the honor of the number in the rafters or the night honoring him.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Pavel and Henrik didn't try to personally bankrupt and destroy Mike Ilitch empire. Fedorov should NEVER go into the rafters for that reason. Full stop. I don't care if he was "going though things". His actions have ramifications. Keep 91 out of circulation, but he doesn't deserve the honor of the number in the rafters or the night honoring him.
He was trying to bankrupt a guy worth 6 billion? Curious how he would have accomplished that.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I don't know that an ownership group who continues to employ Al Avila as a general manager can use bad financial ramifications as an argument.

Sergei is one of the most talented and impactful players to ever suit up for the Wings. His jersey absolutely belongs in the rafters.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Why not Marcel Pronovost, Syd Howe, Ebbie Goodfellow, Norm Ullman, even Herbie Lewis and Larry Aurie?

Marcel Pronovost

Ebbie Goodfellow

Syd Howe

Norm Ullman

I understand that Detroit currently has very high standards that exceed those four excellent players, but if you start including Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg, I fail to see why you wouldn't include say Ebbie Goodfellow. Are they any better than him, and if you think so, why?

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

and Fedorov didn't negotiate for the longest contract he could get then have to get talked out of bailing on it and leaving the team with the cap hit in the literal first year(then actually bail on it the next year anyways)

Datsyuk was way worse than anything Fedorov ever did

Left handed

May 8, 2018
I think retired numbers should be reserved for not only someone who had exemplary performance with the team, but who demonstrated strong characteristics as a leader on the team and within the community.

Since jersey numbers are finite, retiring them should be reserved for the most elite players/persons. Fedorov was no doubt an elite player when he played for the Wings, but was he also an elite person akin to someone like Stevie Y or Nick Lidstrom? I feel the same about Datsyuk, my favorite player to watch and the only Wings jersey I own. Great player, but nothing stood out as a leader on the team or within the community.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I think retired numbers should be reserved for not only someone who had exemplary performance with the team, but who demonstrated strong characteristics as a leader on the team and within the community.

Since jersey numbers are finite, retiring them should be reserved for the most elite players/persons. Fedorov was no doubt an elite player when he played for the Wings, but was he also an elite person akin to someone like Stevie Y or Nick Lidstrom? I feel the same about Datsyuk, my favorite player to watch and the only Wings jersey I own. Great player, but nothing stood out as a leader on the team or within the community.
What are you talking about? Think of all the people who went from 20/80 to 20/20 back in the day.

hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: jkutswings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad