Speculation: 91 - Fedorov Jersey Retirement?

Air Budd Dwyer

Feb 11, 2012
Detroit
Don't piss off the owner......multiple times.

But at what point does it just become petty on ownership's side? Fedorov is the only player, besides Yzerman and Lidstrom, in the last 30+ years, who should have his number retired by Detroit.

If Vince McMahon can bring The Ultimate Warrior back and put him in the Hall of Fame, then why can't the Illitch's retire 91? Might as well close the thread after that undebatable point I just made.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Solid logic

upload_2021-8-20_20-40-21.png

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
But at what point does it just become petty on ownership's side? Fedorov is the only player, besides Yzerman and Lidstrom, in the last 30+ years, who should have his number retired by Detroit.

If Vince McMahon can bring The Ultimate Warrior back and put him in the Hall of Fame, then why can't the Illitch's retire 91? Might as well close the thread after that undebatable point I just made.

Brett Favre was way, way more petty with the Packers. Dude went to a division rival for ultimate spite. And they were able to make up and have ceremonies.

So I'm with you, this thing should have been put to rest ages ago.

Redwinger47

Jun 4, 2021
I have a theory about this. This is based on the premise that the Ilitch family only will retire the numbers of Red Wings who are hall of famers, they have basically said this straight up at one point when they were commenting on the Larry Aurie situation (don't have the exactly quote, sorry). There are 3 recent former Red Wings that should arguably have their numbers retired: Fedorov, Datsyuk, and Zetterberg. My theory is that the Ilitch family believes that, in order, the ones that are most deserving according to their respect and loyalty to the team are:

1. Zetterberg
2. Datsyuk
3. Fedorov

However, the the order in which they are deserving of the hall of fame is the exact opposite:

1. Fedorov (already in the hall of fame)
2. Datsyuk (virtual certainty)
3. Zetterberg (more of a borderline hall of famer, but I think he gets in)

So I think everything is in a holding pattern until they see if Zetterberg gets in the hall of fame, because then they can retire his number and once he has gotten the honor, they will move on to Fedorov and Datsyuk. But I think they don't want to retire Fedorov's and Datsyuk's if they can't retire Zetterberg's number because he was by far the most loyal, plus being the captain, they just couldn't stomach it.

Therefore, I think we are all waiting to see if Zetterberg gets in the hall of fame before anything else is decided.

Reactions: Ricelund

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I have a theory about this. This is based on the premise that the Ilitch family only will retire the numbers of Red Wings who are hall of famers, they have basically said this straight up at one point when they were commenting on the Larry Aurie situation (don't have the exactly quote, sorry). There are 3 recent former Red Wings that should arguably have their numbers retired: Fedorov, Datsyuk, and Zetterberg. My theory is that the Ilitch family believes that, in order, the ones that are most deserving according to their respect and loyalty to the team are:

1. Zetterberg
2. Datsyuk
3. Fedorov

However, the the order in which they are deserving of the hall of fame is the exact opposite:

So I think everything is in a holding pattern until they see if Zetterberg gets in the hall of fame, because then they can retire his number and once he has gotten the honor, they will move on to Fedorov and Datsyuk. But I think they don't want to retire Fedorov's and Datsyuk's if they can't retire Zetterberg's number because he was by far the most loyal, plus being the captain, they just couldn't stomach it.

Therefore, I think we are all waiting to see if Zetterberg gets in the hall of fame before anything else is decided.

if the Illitches actually view Datsyuk(who pushed for the longest contract he could get then f***ed the team over by running off to Russia before it was over, and actually almost left after the first year of his 3 year contract until Holland talked him out of it) as more loyal to the franchise than Fedorov (who never did anything more than negotiate for contracts and eventually leave the team as a free agent) then the Illitches are still being far too petty towards Fedorov

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
It became petty a long time ago, but that's the uber-rich for you. They never forget a slight, real or imagined.

I thought #91 would go up only once Mike died, but maybe Marian is blocking it too.

That actually would make sense. At the end of the day they were husband and wife, you have to think its a high probability they shared similar opinions on certain things. Its also possible Chris is blocking it, who knows.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
if the Illitches actually view Datsyuk(who pushed for the longest contract he could get then f***ed the team over by running off to Russia before it was over, and actually almost left after the first year of his 3 year contract until Holland talked him out of it) as more loyal to the franchise than Fedorov (who never did anything more than negotiate for contracts and eventually leave the team as a free agent) then the Illitches are still being far too petty towards Fedorov

I do agree that Feds should have his number retired, but this is definitely spinning things in the other direction. Lets be honest here, Fedorov signed an offer sheet with Peter Karmanos and the Hurricanes knowing that Peter Karmanos was looking to f*** over Illitch due to Illitch blocking the move of the Whalers to Detroit. Fedorov did what at the time was very taboo and likely felt like a slap in the face to Illitch in order to get a big contract, he used someone's hatred of Illitch against Illitch. I dont blame Illitch at all for being pissed.

Now, that was 23 years ago, and I think its the responsibly of the Illitches in 2021 to give this to the fans, but lets not pretend like Fedorov didnt do something that warranted Illitch getting angry. Its ok to admit what happened AND want Fedorov to have his jersey retired.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Don't forget that when Federov finally left the Wings, it was for less money than he was offered to stay.

Ownership determines the criteria to go into the rafters. Disloyalty obviously is important to the Ilitchs.

Of the Ilitch era players, only career Wing players have had their numbers retired.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
About damn time if true, my favorite Wings player to watch by far. I honestly have never seen a more breathtakingly fluid star player in all my time watching the sport. If you told me I could pay $1,000 to watch prime Fedorov I would swallow hard and fork it over. I am not sure there is another player I would say that about, even the Stevie Wonder years, Feds was that good. Hell I would pay you just to watch him skate around the rink by himself, I found his skating that remarkable.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

1. Zetterberg
2. Datsyuk
3. Fedorov

Zetterberg was a top 10 center in the league for a good decade and arguably the best player in the league for an entire year also while having a pretty stellar international career, which does matter to the HHOF. On top of this the HHOF is at its heart somewhat a popularity case, where Zetterberg was popular and respected with both his peers, media and front offices around the league. I think there are plenty of people he is already better that that are in. Also you have the how important he was to their team in terms of Zetterberg meant a lot and that does matter in these. Another one will join that group when Datsyuk gets in for example ;)

I just don't see how he is kept out. He will wait a second, but I think he gets in. Honestly to me Zetterberg is probably the Ilitch families Willie Horton moment on the Wings regardless in terms of I think they put him up without it even with that having been the rule. Sticky with the Aurie family, but they did it with the Tigers for years while disrespectfully not doing the same for Tramm.. I guess we will see.

I would like to see 91 go up first, it is long overdue. Frankly a better player than both the other guys too as much as I liked them as players, they weren't Feds, he is in a tier above them for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad