Speculation: 91 - Fedorov Jersey Retirement?

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Ted Lindsay started the movement that eventually became the NHLPA, and it was viewed with such disdain by the franchise that he was traded away to rival Chicago because of it. Yet his number is in the rafters.

There are lots of factors. But listing who's already there just highlights the hypocrisy of Fedorov being absent.
Lindsay's number was not retired until Ilitch bought the Wings. By then it was realized Lindsay was doing what was best for all players, not just self interest.

Now let's try to find another example.

roman star

ready to march
Feb 17, 2019
Ted Lindsay started the movement that eventually became the NHLPA, and it was viewed with such disdain by the franchise that he was traded away to rival Chicago because of it. Yet his number is in the rafters.

There are lots of factors. But listing who's already there just highlights the hypocrisy of Fedorov being absent.
i need a love smiley as i revel in the silencing of all the fedorov disrespecters talking nonsense . tomorrow they march to take down terrible teds number

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
If you follow Pavel Bure he also had a checkered contract history. I think he and Fedorov had similar career paths (among others :)

Fedorov was about 22-23 when he came over and had been stifled by a military regiment of hockey bootcamp 10 months out of the year for mother russia or you were taken out to pasture. I can see the possiblity where the wings offering millions of dollars for him to defect and then him having so much success and the heart trophy he was litterally drunk on the spoils and then some. I also think Fedorov was very susceptible to agents and money managers. I think Fedorov was largely sheltered from the damage his agents were doing in negotiations and with the things going on in his personal life it was too little too late when he realized options were being pulled from the table while facing an all around downward spiral. Its not excuses just another way to look at it.

I really don't hold any ill will over Fedorov, he was not a seasoned vet like Larianov and Fetisov. I also never saw Sergei as capitain material although there is no doubt in my mind he wanted it. He was a kid with world class skills and he wanted that to translate into being number one at everything being the highest paid the hottest and youngest girlfriends, expensive cars, armani suits the all around superstar lifestyle with absolutely no idea that capitalism had limits. I think some delusions of grandeur and an unfortuante immaturity in understanding what is important in life lead to Sergei's departure from detroit. Everything I have seen of him sense gives me the feeling he learned a lot from his path and is a much more rounded person. I actually think Fedorov's personal life would make an awesome movie.

Canucks set a low standard.

roman star

ready to march
Feb 17, 2019
Lindsay's number was not retired until Ilitch bought the Wings. By then it was realized Lindsay was doing what was best for all players, not just self interest.

Now let's try to find another example.
feds was trying to do whats best for him . ilitch trying to do whats best for ilitch . mean while feds punk lawyer was telling him ilitch is a billionaire so were holding out for every penny . and all ilitch then did was the same thing the owner did back in the old days to ted , through a hissy fit over off ice business matters ! neither teds or feds behavior did a damn thing to detract from their on ice performance . and thats all that matters

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
The Fedorov and Scherzer negotiations were probably Ilitch's two biggest mistakes as an owner.

It's too bad CBJ wanted an overpayment from Detroit for Fedorov at the '08 deadline. Washington got him for nothing. It would've been awesome to see him win another Cup and finish his career with Detroit.

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
The Fedorov and Scherzer negotiations were probably Ilitch's two biggest mistakes as an owner.

It's too bad CBJ wanted an overpayment from Detroit for Fedorov at the '08 deadline. Washington got him for nothing. It would've been awesome to see him win another Cup and finish his career with Detroit.

There is no way Wings fit under the cap with 6.67 (or whatever rollback was) of cap space eaten by Fedorov for the next 3 years. Him leaving was actually blessing in disguise, given his level of play also dropped after lockout. It was also an opportunity for Datsyuk and Zetterberg to become the leaders

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
There is no way Wings fit under the cap with 6.67 (or whatever rollback was) of cap space eaten by Fedorov for the next 3 years. Him leaving was actually blessing in disguise, given his level of play also dropped after lockout. It was also an opportunity for Datsyuk and Zetterberg to become the leaders

Yeah, I've speculated that a lot in the past "what if Fedorov had stayed".

If he was getting 10M like Lidström, that would have mean same 7.6M caphit after the lockout. That would force the team for more buyouts, maybe even Fedorov buyout.

But they did replace him with Robert Lang, that did cost Tomas Fleischmann, 1st (who was gonna be Mike Green) and 4th round pick.

That was kind of what losing Fedorov did cost. It was a loss, but also the cap worked better. For 2003-04 with Fedorov, it could make another Cup possible, though.

For-pre lockout, I could see him more as a cap problem, than an answer. It opened a spot for both Z and Pavel to shine and that did got us 2008 Cup. We didn't need Lang for that, would not need Fedorov either.

Last edited:

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Would not be surprised to see Chris approve the jersey retirement once Marian passes away. Considering she was as invested in the Wings as Mike was, I am sure she also holds a grudge with regards to Fedorov. Meanwhile, Chris Ilitch seems like a cynical business type who would jump at the chance to make money off something like that.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
This may be a hot take, but I don't think Zetterberg nor Datsyuk deserve to have their jerseys retired. Zetterberg, maybe, since he was a defensive monster in every situation and held down the fort while the Wings slowly bled talent over several years. Datsyuk went out in a way that really rubbed people wrong and that perceived lack of "dedication" (deserved or not) is below what is expected of players who have their number retired in Detroit.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Was Shanahan’s deal for ‘05-06 signed before or after the cap?

If Fedorov had stayed, the Lang trade never happens and they probably let Shanahan go instead.

Edit: Looks like his deal for '05-06 was an option exercised in July 2005:
Forward Brendan Shanahan decided to stay with the Red Wings, exercising an option Thursday on the final year of his contract.

Shanahan, 36, will make about $2.3 million--after the 24 percent cut NHL players agreed to take--during the upcoming season as the league resumes play after a lockout wiped out the previous season.
So yeah, no Lang, no Shanahan ($6.1M combined) and they can probably fit Fedorov in by making cuts elsewhere.

Last edited:

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Would not be surprised to see Chris approve the jersey retirement once Marian passes away. Considering she was as invested in the Wings as Mike was, I am sure she also holds a grudge with regards to Fedorov. Meanwhile, Chris Ilitch seems like a cynical business type who would jump at the chance to make money off something like that.
When Jimmy D is no longer a part of the Wings organization I think that makes it more likely to happen as well.

Reactions: golffuul

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
So yeah, no Lang, no Shanahan ($6.1M combined) and they can probably fit Fedorov in by making cuts elsewhere.

That's like adding another Lilja at defence. :)

This is season 2005-06 cap payroll:

(NHL-highest salary was Jagr 8.36M, Yashin was same as Lidström)

1. Legace, 1.163M
2. Osgood, 900k

1. Lidström, 7.6M
2. Schneider, 3.3M
3. Fischer, 1.33M
4. Cory Cross, 874k
5. Chelios, 850k
6. Kronwall, 840k
7. Lilja, 650k
8. Woolley, 507k

(Fedorov, 7.6M)
1. Datsyuk, 3.9M
2. Lang, 3.8M
3. Zetterberg, 2.65M
4. Shanahan, 2.28M
5. Draper, 2.128M
6. Maltby, 1.444M
7. Holmström, 1.368M
8. Yzerman, 1.25M
9. Franzen, 600k
10. Samuelsson, 538k
11. Cleary, 450k
12. Williams, 450k
13. Mowers, 450k

You just can't fit Fedorov there, it's just crazy caphit under 39M cap. Another NHL-maximum, when you have Lidström too. Maybe we would have traded him.

You can double the caphits for nowadays numbers to see it more informative:

Relative numbers for 81.5M cap:

Legace, 2.4M
Osgood, 1.9M

Lidström 15.9M
Schneider, 6.9M
Fischer 2.8M
Cross, 1.8M
Chelios 1.7M
Kronwall, 1.6M
Lilja, 1.3M
Woolley, 1.0M

(Fedorov, 15.9M)
Datsyuk, 8.1M
Lang, 7.9M
Zetterberg, 5.5M
Shanahan, 4.7M
Draper, 4.4M
Maltby, 3.0M
Holmström, 2.8M
Yzerman, 2.6M
Franzen, 1.2M
Samuelsson, 1.1M
Cleary, 940k
Williams, 940k
Mowers, 940k

Last edited:

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
I am not sure Devellano has had any consideration since his Mantha rant.

abbbaron

May 6, 2015
That's quite the allegation considering that when Fedorov and Kournikova were romantically linked, she was at least 16 or 17 years old, which would be the legal age of consent, meaning it does not qualify as statutory rape.
Of course she was at least 16 when they were "romantically linked" in the press, that was by design. But they had hit it off before that. She was already hanging around the locker room, waiting for him after they won the cup (on her *16th* birthday)

Last edited:

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007

Marian Ilitch is a very petty person. Like, cliche petty for a rich person. It would not shock me in the least if she were holding up the Fedorov jersey retirement. Hell, it wouldn't surprise me if she were the main driver for that even before Mike died.

Chris I can't speak to, but your theory on him seems likely true.

Reactions: ArGarBarGar

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
My guess is he will eventually get retired either when Marian passes, or a new person buys the team. Their was bad blood with the Illitches and Fedorov whether warranted or not, and I don't see a jersey retirement happening with Mike's wife still involved.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
The Wings retired Kelly's number.

And while Ullman spent the longest stint of his career on the Wings he also played for Toronto for 8 years and Edmonton for a couple. It may be the lack of Cups in Detroit that keeps his numbers from the rafters. He missed the dynasty years in Detroit and Toronto.

My point is really that retiring a number is a different, more subjective, mark than the HHOF.

Ozzie not being in the HHOF is a joke, according to the numbers.

Reactions: golffuul

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
My guess is he will eventually get retired either when Marian passes, or a new person buys the team. Their was bad blood with the Illitches and Fedorov whether warranted or not, and I don't see a jersey retirement happening with Mike's wife still involved.

What makes you think the kids will overlook the desires of the parents?

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
I think all it would take is Yzerman to say something and it would be done

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
As I recall the Ilitches had an issue with Sparky Anderson and they retired his number…he’ll Morris’s is retired and his foul mouth got him fired….they need to retire 91 and quit being butt hurt

abbbaron

May 6, 2015
As I recall the Ilitches had an issue with Sparky Anderson and they retired his number…he’ll Morris’s is retired and his foul mouth got him fired….they need to retire 91 and quit being butt hurt
Did either of those guys create the kind of legal and organizational risk for their clubs that Fedorov did for the Wings?

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Now that the NHL has a relationship with ESPN again I'm hoping to see more hockey-related 30 for 30s.

One of which I think should be about Yzerman's performance in the 2002 playoffs. And I think a couple chapters of it (at least) should be devoted to Sergei. If you listen to Stevie talk about it (and here is where I bring it back to Fedorov), he (Stevie) simplified in his own mind his role as being aware of where Sergei was at all times so that he could get him the puck. And while I think a part of that is Yzerman's humility, I also think he's not exactly wrong.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
What makes you think the kids will overlook the desires of the parents?

I didn't. However, with enough time passed and no parent influence, those involved may be able to change his opinion. To me, Feds didn't do anything bad at all. He signed an offersheet which is his right as a player. I get they felt he was disloyal, but a lot of time has passed and what he did was not some life long grudge level bad.

Reactions: Mount Suribachi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad