Player Discussion #90 - Jason Spezza

jason9090spezza

Oct 19, 2014
Japan
For the quality of players that he's been paired with, and the amount of minutes that he recieves, the point total isn't bad at all.

He makes mistakes but that's Spezza. Everyone already knows that, and EVERYONE on this team has had multiple mistakes so you can't solely blame it on him.

He needs help...but what this team needs more is a winning attitude. I don't see that at all.

Klockis

Suter stan
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
For the quality of players that he's been paired with, and the amount of minutes that he recieves, the point total isn't bad at all.

He makes mistakes but that's Spezza. Everyone already knows that, and EVERYONE on this team has had multiple mistakes so you can't solely blame it on him.

He needs help...but what this team needs more is a winning attitude. I don't see that at all.

I don't think attitude is the problem. The problem is goaltending, luck and players just not being good (especially on defense).

haf

Mar 3, 2008

My problems with Spezza tend not to be with Spezza himself. We had success last year as a speedy, hard forechecking, north-south relentless team. Any of those things sound like Spezza?

Our play-style protected our defense and played to their strengths.

Spezza is a great centerman and a huge upgrade personnel-wise but he's a significant enough player that it changed the identity of the team game and it hasn't really come back around since. I trust it will work out long-term, but it sucks right now.

jason9090spezza

Oct 19, 2014
Japan
I don't think attitude is the problem. The problem is goaltending, luck and players just not being good (especially on defense).

Yah, aside from the obvious things that you mentioned, I just don't feel that "character" this team showed earlier in the season (like the one against penguins).

jason9090spezza

Oct 19, 2014
Japan
My problems with Spezza tend not to be with Spezza himself. We had success last year as a speedy, hard forechecking, north-south relentless team. Any of those things sound like Spezza?

Our play-style protected our defense and played to their strengths.

Spezza is a great centerman and a huge upgrade personnel-wise but he's a significant enough player that it changed the identity of the team game and it hasn't really come back around since. I trust it will work out long-term, but it sucks right now.

Again, Spezza doesn't play that "north-south" style, and the organization should have known about it.

He's more of a standard playmaker (Thornton-ish), that can score 30+ goals if given the opportunity. I guess he is more used to playing with wingers/snypers that stays in the slot, which is why Heatley-Spezza tandem worked so much.

But beside the things that I mentioned above, he needs a winger that can score and get his pass.

And yes, he has to play better. He's not playing like he used to play in Ottawa, and he seems kind of lost out there.

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
To be honest though we needed playmakers. Remember last year, when it seemed like most of our goals came off the rush. Long possessions in the offensive zone rarely resulted in goals. I'm hoping the team we have been seeing lately is more like what this team will look like going forward. Just imagine if we had a healthy Nuke, Pevs, and Nemeth, and a better back up so we didn't have to play Kari on b2b nights. I'm still not quite sold on Hemsky yet, but I've liked Spezza a lot so far. Now that we've lost a game, maybe Ruff will juggle the lines a bit. I think Ritchie would be perfect on Spezza's RW

Stars90

Sep 24, 2013
Toronto
Spezza is fine. New team, new conference, new role, etc. He's still putting up points in a more limited role than he's ever had. I think he's going to have a great second half.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
If we're in contention at the deadline, I think it'd be wise to go after a rental winger for Spezza's line. Who, on the other hand, is tough to say. Would've liked Perron, but Pitt needed him more.

Stars90

Sep 24, 2013
Toronto
If we're in contention at the deadline, I think it'd be wise to go after a rental winger for Spezza's line. Who, on the other hand, is tough to say. Would've liked Perron, but Pitt needed him more.

I don't disagree, but I think we may already have that in Ritchie. Another body wouldn't hurt though, the issue then becomes ice-time.

RedSeven*

Hey guys,

Massive Sens Fan and Jason Fan. He was my favourite player on the team. WE had a loser coach who ran him out of town.

Dallas is my second team now but I don't have anytime to watch their games.

Who is Spezz playing with nowadays?

Is he not getting top minutes? WHat about on the PP?

He definitely needs players who can put the puck in the net. He creates so many great scoring opportunities because he has some of the best vision in the game, the problem is is that if he plays with someone who can't put the puck in the net or who has a lack for vision or hockey IQ they will s**t the bed.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Spezza is fine. New team, new conference, new role, etc. He's still putting up points in a more limited role than he's ever had. I think he's going to have a great second half.

He always has a great second half

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I still stand by my thoughts on him. Projects to be a 3/4 winger at most. Doesn't create enough on his own to be a top six player IMO.

Yeah. 3rd line winger/ center sounds realistic. No issue there. I don't think any Sens fans such as myself are think first line elite talent.

3rd liner. With the ceiling if a second liner and maybe a fourth liner.

I disagree that he doesn't create enough on his own though. Has hands and visim and is smart with the puck. Probably a little more creative than people give him credit for.

DangeRouss

Sep 6, 2014
Bordeaux, Fra
My main concern about him is the defensive part of his game :(

I would like him playing with Rous on his left & Cole/Hemsky on the right

Anyway Cole/Spezza/Hemsky not so bad atm

jason9090spezza

Oct 19, 2014
Japan
My main concern about him is the defensive part of his game :(

I would like him playing with Rous on his left & Cole/Hemsky on the right

Anyway Cole/Spezza/Hemsky not so bad atm

That line has never worked IMO...

The only line that EVER worked was the trio (Spezza/Seguin/Benn), and maybe another few, but that line can produce. Even than, the team has major problems...mostly defense and goaltending (espcially defense).

And Spezza needs a winger or a player beside him that can score. I don't mind the team getting a point-slot type of snyper like Heatley, but thats kind of hard to find nowadays (I mean, look what happened to Heatley when he left Ottawa lol).

I really like Ritchie, but I'm used to seeing Spezza being paired with AHL/prospect level players...it usually doesn't work but who knows.

MetalGodAOD*

That's a great interview. It's wonderful to see he was sold on the town and organization so quickly. I really think he came into it with every intention of testing FA, but was swayed to extend by the locker room, the city, Nill, etc.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
He is a very good interview. Probably the most interesting part of this one to me was when he was asked about pressure and he said that internally it feels exactly the same. Pressure to win in the room and in the organization is the same the main difference is he isn't hammered as much from the outside. I can definitely see how much of a beating it would be to play for a team that is winning and you're having a personal slump and being taken to task for it ad nauseum.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00