GDT: 9/29 Canucks @ Sharks 7:30

Used As A Shield

Aug 10, 2011
some serious dobts about Patty

Where is Karlsson fitting into all of this?? Hasn't played much, almost seems like Donskoi came in and took his job
The team is now flooded with tweeners...not saying it's a bad thing

Hey was hurt in camp or something, sounded like it wasn't much and they were expecting he would make one of the preseason games.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Who do you think has higher IQ than Pavelski on the Sharks? I'd go Pavelski as #1, Couture as #2.

And since when is Hall a top hockey IQ player?

Yet he plays in the same league as all the others do, faces the same teams, and still comes out in the upper echelon of goal scorers in the league.

Yes, but just because you have great raw goal totals does not mean you have great hockey IQ.

To be fair, Pavelski's hockey IQ is great, but still not top-5 in the league. Heck, the case can even be made that he is #3 on the Sharks, with Vlasic ahead of him.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009

Yes, but just because you have great raw goal totals does not mean you have great hockey IQ.

To be fair, Pavelski's hockey IQ is great, but still not top-5 in the league. Heck, the case can even be made that he is #3 on the Sharks, with Vlasic ahead of him.

I don't know if Jumbo's IQ is 'better', he just perceives the game very differently than Pavs

What he's better than maybe anyone ever is using his size + hockey sense to know how he can hold defenders off and create space, then somehow know where his team mates will be
I think Pavs has better iq off the puck than Jumbo, but it's really not something super quantifiable,

DW keeps bringing in smart players though, that's for sure

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Where is Karlsson fitting into all of this?? Hasn't played much, almost seems like Donskoi came in and took his job
The team is now flooded with tweeners...not saying it's a bad thing

Hey was hurt in camp or something, sounded like it wasn't much and they were expecting he would make one of the preseason games.

Injured before camp started.

Could start season on IR. Or as 14th forward.

(Karlsson has 7 more games of eligibility before he loses his waiver exemption. So, it's conceivable, that he'd be assigned to AHL. But I rather doubt it.)

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I don't know if Jumbo's IQ is 'better', he just perceives the game very differently than Pavs

What he's better than maybe anyone ever is using his size + hockey sense to know how he can hold defenders off and create space, then somehow know where his team mates will be
I think Pavs has better iq off the puck than Jumbo, but it's really not something super quantifiable,

DW keeps bringing in smart players though, that's for sure

I would rather have someone who has higher IQ with the puck then someone that is better off the puck.

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
That was a really nice move, but watch the rest of the sequence. The kid is a work in progress and probably 1-2 years from the NHL.

Agreed - Goldobin exudes skill but he needs to spend a year in the AHL. That's fine by me - put him on the top line and have at it with building up his confidence.

One thing I HATE about our AHL affiliate is that I do not believe there is much alignment between the two clubs' strategies. I wish they would play similar systems but Somner seems to simply know nothing but grind-it-out hockey.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
One of Goldobin's moves from yesterday:

this is nice and all, but he got lucky. this is such a high-risk play that usually results in losing possession. that said, its not very difficult. most players in the NHL in THAT situation probably would have just moved the puck up the boards to get it deep.

but Goldy did look better this game. Still needs some seasoning for sure though.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
this is nice and all, but he got lucky. this is such a high-risk play that usually results in losing possession. that said, its not very difficult. most players in the NHL in THAT situation probably would have just moved the puck up the boards to get it deep.

but Goldy did look better this game. Still needs some seasoning for sure though.

You can say that about pretty much every dangle that any hockey player makes in traffic. Its a high risk play and you could be caught out of position leading to a breakaway.

I think the the observation is about the fact that we do not have a player(s) with a skillset like that on our team. Is he raw? Sure. But Goldobin has the confidence and skillset to become the type of impact player(s) the Sharks do not have.

Used As A Shield

Aug 10, 2011
I'll give you Hertl, but I really do not see many dangles from Couture, he plays a pretty straight no-nonsense game. I see him move through traffic and do stick lifts as the puck slides to where he wants to go where he then tries to get a shot off more than I see him do flashy dangles to get through traffic.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento

Yeah, I'd like to see a hard rim around the boards, then change. Get fresh legs on the ice and grind it down low in the zone.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
I'll give you Hertl, but I really do not see many dangles from Couture, he plays a pretty straight no-nonsense game. I see him move through traffic and do stick lifts as the puck slides to where he wants to go where he then tries to get a shot off more than I see him do flashy dangles to get through traffic.

Couture also had that slick self-pass/pirouette that lead to a short-handed breakaway that same game Hertl got 4 goals. Too bad he didn't score or else that would've made every highlight reel too.

I do not think of hockey IQ when I think of Thornton. The majority of his game (and Marleau's) is more about his physical skill-set.
I wouldn't call Pavelski top-5 in the league (Crosby, Toews, Datsyuk, Zetterberg to name a few. Not Hall...), but I'd easily call him top on the Sharks.

Last edited:

Used As A Shield

Aug 10, 2011

Couture also had that slick self-pass/pirouette that lead to a short-handed breakaway that same game Hertl got 4 goals. Too bad he didn't score or else that would've made every highlight reel too.

Yes, Couture is definitely capable as he has good hands, but does not play that style nearly as often as others. Hertl in his short time as a Shark is probably already approaching the amount of times Couture has while here. The point was Couture plays much more like a Toews than a Kane style-wise (ugh, blackhawks reference to make a point). I also think a lot of it also comes down to what the player is expected to do for the team. If they are to be a two-way forward, they will most likely take the safer option, and like-wise as a scoring winger you are afforded more leeway to take risks.

But back to the original posters point, even if Couture is included that is not many at all on the Sharks who are known for deke's and dangles.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
but if he tries that move and doesn't succeed, resulting in a turnover, hopefully the coach will say "son, if you want to play in this league, just chip it deep in the corner"

Are you suggesting we squash the creativity out of him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad