GDT: 9/29 Canucks @ Sharks 7:30

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
If Pav's could skate better he might make different decisions and have developed different strategies. Necessity is the mother of invention.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
That might be a little overboard, but honestly it's incredible. He's a top-5 hockey IQ in the NHL, no doubt.

Oh, come on. He's #2 on the Sharks. Throw in players like Datsyuk, Kopitar, Crosby, the Sedins, Toews, Hall...then include the defensemen like Keith, Karlsson, and Doughty....

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
enjoyed the game, warts and all. team was dominant at times, raw at times, out of sync at times. i'm sure a lot of coachable tape was generated.

i always enjoy thornton doing his thing but he was clearly not going 100% in this one.

burns looks like he's going to have a monster year. he's all over the place and martin as expected complements him well. martin is as advertised, stable and reliable; his offensive contributions are a welcome bonus!

jones ... very, very excited to potentially have a goalie standout; it's been a while since i didn't get the dread when plays broke down or an extra pass or two got through. jones has looked like he's for real.

ward maybe it was his deployment but i expected more. but maybe he's getting used to his linemates. didn't see him making a lot of mistakes and he kept the plays moving. still nothing wowed me and i sort of expected to feel a little more inspiration.

hertl as mentioned earlier looks like a different player from last year. he's reacting to plays with an explosiveness that was totally absent last year and he can cover a lot of ice very quickly with his size and burst. he's could be very noticeable for us.

goldobin looked quite good, individual skill wise and i was also impressed at times with his forecheck. but sometimes he seemed to get lost and his timing was generally not quite in sync with the joes. that could come and if it does, man. that could be fun.

tierney i'm very glad he wasn't badly hurt, but isn't it great to actually have some call-up depth now? all i thought when he went down was ... well at least if he's out a while, it means we'll see a lot of donskoi and goldobin.

nieto and dillon looked rough but maybe they just need more playing time and practice. mueller i actually thought looked significantly better than last season. yeah he's still young and needs seasoning, but i thought in a few places i saw a poise and/or patience that was not there before.

the rest of the players i was fairly pleased with for the most part. i'm very excited for this season!

I missed the back end of the game. Did Tierney end up being okay?

yeah he eventually returned and played some shifts

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Goldobin: Crazy talent, but should probably start the year in the AHL. Slick hands and very good passing. Great forchecking too. But, at times it felt like his hands and feet were moving too fast, in the sense that he was ahead of the play and therefore not in sync with his linemates totally.

Unless there's some loophole I don't know about, Goldobin can't play in the AHL because he's still eligible as a U20 player in the CHL. Their options with him are the same as last year - NHL, OHL, or Europe.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Unless there's some loophole I don't know about, Goldobin can't play in the AHL because he's still eligible as a U20 player in the CHL. Their options with him are the same as last year - NHL, OHL, or Europe.

I think you're wrong. He played AHL hockey last season. Does it matter if he's 20 on October 7?

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
I think you're wrong. He played AHL hockey last season. Does it matter if he's 20 on October 7?

Yes this would be his OA year. Ages in the CHL (both eligibility age and OA status) are based on your age when the year ends, not when the season begins. At least that's how it works in the WHL and I assume it's consistent through all the leagues.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Yes this would be his OA year. Ages in the CHL (both eligibility age and OA status) are based on your age when the year ends, not when the season begins. At least that's how it works in the WHL and I assume it's consistent through all the leagues.

Just verified and that is consistent across the CHL. Weird rule; I'd have figured it would be 20 at the start of the season. That should make him eligible for the AHL then.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I am pretty excited about this year with all the new guys we have on the team. But I am still setting my expectations pretty low.

I know it was just pre-season but I did not like the overall effort of the team yesterday. There were some individual standouts like Jones and Hertl but the overall team effort was .. meh. Seemed like a few of our lines were getting out-played by the Canucks lines even though they were not icing a few of their NHL players but we were.

Could be rust, could just be the fact that they know these games are not really important being pre-season and all but I expected a more dominant performance against a Canucks team. The only reason we won is because Jones was excellent.

I am getting genuinely concerned about Marleau. I have not seen much from him this pre-season. I was betting on him to have a bounce back year but so far I have not seen anything from him which shows that.

In any case, I expect quite a few ups and downs this year. I hope we give Doonskoi and maybe even Goldobin a few games sometime this season.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Feels like Marleaus hands are gone. Speed and positioning are still there but the hands aren't. Not sure if we can count on him as a scorer this year.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Feels like Marleaus hands are gone. Speed and positioning are still there but the hands aren't. Not sure if we can count on him as a scorer this year.

Honestly it feels like his brain is gone more than anything. It's like his hockey IQ went completely down the toilet. Last night I was constantly going "NO Marleau don't try to... UHG"

Used As A Shield

Aug 10, 2011
Honestly it feels like his brain is gone more than anything. It's like his hockey IQ went completely down the toilet. Last night I was constantly going "NO Marleau don't try to... UHG"

Ya, i was hoping last season it was due to the baby. Now however I am really not sure. Its baffling as he still has speed and that is what normally goes first, not hands or IQ... /shrug
Did his baby steal his eyebrow mojo?

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Marleau is my biggest concern right now. It was one thing when I thought he was over paid for what he did for the team, but now I worry that he shouldn't even be in the top 6. Sure hope this is just preseason BS.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Oh, come on. He's #2 on the Sharks. Throw in players like Datsyuk, Kopitar, Crosby, the Sedins, Toews, Hall...then include the defensemen like Keith, Karlsson, and Doughty....

Yet he plays in the same league as all the others do, faces the same teams, and still comes out in the upper echelon of goal scorers in the league.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
Damn, you guys are already on Marleau? The season hasn't even STARTED yet. :laugh:

this is true. that said, its ok to have some concerns. he didn't look sharp at all. he actually reminded me of brown with how sloppy he was with the puck. i think patty has to learn how to play a slower, smarter game than when he was younger and faster. i know he still has the top-end speed, but his first few steps are slower and in a faster league, thats a problem. thing is, he's not a great playmaker at all and for the last many years been guilty if making horrible, horrible passes.

I hope he gets back into regular form. :(

plenty of time though :)

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
Damn, you guys are already on Marleau? The season hasn't even STARTED yet. :laugh:

Marleau's my favorite player, but I'm legit worried about him this year. It's not that he was making mistakes but the type of mistakes he was making. Just not smart with the puck, not smart with positioning, not smart with his choices.

Hope I'm wrong because I want to see him win a cup more than anyone on the team and have JR eat it.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco

Who do you think has higher IQ than Pavelski on the Sharks? I'd go Pavelski as #1, Couture as #2.

And since when is Hall a top hockey IQ player?

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
some serious dobts about Patty

Where is Karlsson fitting into all of this?? Hasn't played much, almost seems like Donskoi came in and took his job
The team is now flooded with tweeners...not saying it's a bad thing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad