Aug 23, 2011
Gary Roberts I think?

edit - oops you said high level. nvm :laugh:

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Simon Gagne played 79 games in 08-09. He was 28.

Since then?

58 games
63 games
34 games
38 games
0 games

I ****ing hate everything right now. I'm going to watch the 2011 championship blu ray.

Replicator

Replicated User
Jan 1, 2014
Because he is such an idiot, him and that idiot of a GM that hired him, right?
Because we see stuff that the coach and GM cannot see, and we know things the coach and GM cannot know.

Just how full of ourselves and arrogant has this place actually become?

So we're not allowed to have opinions on players based on our own experience as fans, our observations of our team coach's tendencies and our own observations in camp?

For the record, I don't have a strong opinion on Leino, I just used him as an example.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Can anyone name a veteran player in his 30s that missed an entire year and a half of hockey and then came back and played at a high level? Genuine question. I'm sure there have been some.

Not to compare Ville Leino to an inner circle HOFer, but:

Guy Lafleur missed 3 seasons (and played in only 19 games in the season before that) then returned to the NHL at the age of 37 and put up 45 pts in 67 games.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
That's a good one, though obviously he wasn't the player he was before, and he still had trouble staying healthy.

He was also Guy ****ing LaFleur. I bet Gretzky could still get 40 points if he spent a summer getting in shape.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
So we're not allowed to have opinions on players based on our own experience as fans, our observations of our team coach's tendencies and our own observations in camp?

For the record, I don't have a strong opinion on Leino, I just used him as an example.

Once more, with feeling:

Opinions are great. Discussion is great. :scared: is not great.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Because he is such an idiot, him and that idiot of a GM that hired him, right?
Because we see stuff that the coach and GM cannot see, and we know things the coach and GM cannot know.

Just how full of ourselves and arrogant has this place actually become?

I agree!

No GM and no coach has ever made a predictably wrong decision ever.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
How were Timmy's numbers after taking a year off? :)

I have very little interest in either Gagne or Leino either, less so with Leino between the two.

What I do have interest in is Peter Chiarelli getting off his arse and crafting a solution to the mess this team is in.

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010
Trying to see it from Chiarelli's point of view makes it unlikely that it was going to happen. He's somewhat conservative by nature and I think 9 out of 10 GM's would follow the course he has. That said, I think there is a useful and important distinction between the pessimistic view of trying to replicate past success in the face of diminishing returns and the optimistic view of this has worked in the past and so we'll stick with it. I think the number of new players in important roles demonstrates that although Chiarelli is sticking with the larger philosophy, within that parameter there is room for flexibility with the hope and realization that the new guys sooner or later will have to make the difference which, by and large, means Hamilton. That is why to me the criticism of the management for overvaluing veterans and not giving opportunity to the young players is off-base. Either way, the Bruins aren't going to rise or fall on the back of Ville Leino or Simon Gagne and that's why the overreaction is particularly perplexing.

Criticism is not off-base or without merit. The team has shown roster flow by injecting new blood into their defensive corps, but they were forced into rebuilding their defense through college free agent signings because of their bare draft prospect cupboard. The problem is up front on the forward roster and this coach's heavy-handed approach on any semblance of individual creativity from the higher-skilled prospects coming through the pipeline. Goal scorers and playmakers specialize in taking chances and free-lancing at times; this is a coach who seems determined to corral those skills inside his system, and the two don't make a good fit. Spooner, Griffith, Pastrnak could suffer the same fate as those highly-skilled individual talents who went before; if that comes to pass, it's not just because they played with the end of their sticks.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Is this Friday's game against the Islanders also not being televised? There's no network listed on the Bruins page. I see that Tuesday and Saturday's games are on NESN but nothing for Friday's game.

I'll actually be in Boston this weekend so I would have NESN for once.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad