GDT: 9/26 Boston Bruins @ Washington Capitals 7pm ET NHL Network

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I love McQuaid, and we are seeing how good he looks healthy. The only problem is how long can he stay healthy? With the lack of an enforcer type, McQ would be one of the guys picking up the slack in the fighting department and he certainly is capable. This is a plus in his favor, although if the B's kept Robins as the 13th F, it would negate some of that. The problem for McQ is that Miller has a very similar skillset and costs half the $$.

Another interesting area is the opposite spot (3rd pair Left side). This is a spot that we all assumed was going to be manned by Krug for the foreseeable future. However, now Krug is not in camp, and both Warsofsky and Bart have looked good playing there. Personally, I think there is a drop off from Krug to either of those guys offensively, but at what point does Chia start to look at the salaries and the performance and start weighing the Pros and Cons? Bart only makes $1.2m, and Warsofsky half of that at $600k. I don't see Krug being dealt and I think guys like Bart and DW playing well just gives the B's more leverage with Krug.

Some extremely interesting decisions need to be made in the next couple of weeks.

While no doubt giving many of us ulcers I have to give credit to Peter Chiarelli for not blinking concerning having a knee jerk reaction to Marchand's (among others) poor playoffs and Krug's agent (supposedly) whispering the rumor about there being interest from the KHL. In years past Harry and MOC would've ranted and traded just to watch him end up playing for Montreal and burning us for the next 5-6 years. He's not gonna shoot until he see's the whites of their eyes no matter who says or does whatever.:handclap:

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
So Griffith gets judged playing with Bergeron and Soderberg but Knight gets bracken kearns?

To be fair, Griffith looked outstanding tonight playing with Caron and Soderberg too. I totally understand the frustration regarding Knight, but IMO Griffith is earning a spot regardless of how much I think Knight deserves a look as well. Personally I think Kelly should be traded and Griffith, Fraser, Knight, and Robbins should make the team (with Robbins the 13th fwd).

Lucic-Krejci-Loui (please god let him find his game)
Marchy-Bergy-Smith
Fraser-Yeti-Griffith
Paille-Spooner-Knight
Robbins

That's my opening night lineup if I had my way (assuming Campbell is still hurt.) Once Campbell is back it's decision time regarding Spooner. I think he ultimately ends up getting traded, but I would love to see him stay. Caron is the odd man out. He's a guy I actually like...seems like a good, hard-working kid. Bergeron seems to have taken him under his wing during summer workouts and stuff which speaks highly of him to me. He looked really good tonight and this could very well be the year where he gets it, but I would trade him personally. However the sad truth is that he probably gets that 4th line RW spot while Knight goes back to the AHL even if most of us will disagree with it.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Just got back from the game - was a good time! Good pace, plenty of scoring, always fun to see Ovechkin. I also was sitting sort of near the press box and basically the whole team was there. I could see Bergy, Marchy, Tuukka, Chara, Dougie etc. It was fun spotting them all out - jeez Marchand is REALLY short. He was standing between Tuukka and Dougie at one point and he looked like a child.

I was really impressed with Griffith and Fraser. Fraser especially. I think he's pretty close to a lock for the season. I would even consider bumping Loui down and putting him with Krejci and Lucic. His shot could really complement those two. And on that note...

Loui. I'm praying he just gives no ***** about pre-season because he was rough. I felt like every time he got the puck he was either turning it over or ruining a play. Wasn't great on the PK either. He and Krejci jut don't work, honestly. They both want to pass and are terrified of putting a puck in the net.

Soderberg seems sharp too. Took him a little while to warm up but he had some nice power shifts towards the end.

Always love seeing McQuaid in a fight. And it was a great fight, after Robbins too.

Overall, was a fun night. So concerned about Loui though.

KuralySnipes

Jan 7, 2011
Arlington, VA
Was the game blacked out on NHL Network? I saw people posting about it being blacked out on facebook so I didn't bother going to the living room and checking if the game was on.

Dr Danglefest

Lindros|Giroux|Krug
May 29, 2010
THE SouthShore, MASS
To be fair, Griffith looked outstanding tonight playing with Caron and Soderberg too. I totally understand the frustration regarding Knight, but IMO Griffith is earning a spot regardless of how much I think Knight deserves a look as well. Personally I think Kelly should be traded and Griffith, Fraser, Knight, and Robbins should make the team (with Robbins the 13th fwd).

Marchy-Bergy-Smith
Fraser-Yeti-Griffith
Paille-Spooner-Knight
Robbins

That's my opening night lineup if I had my way (assuming Campbell is still hurt.) Once Campbell is back it's decision time regarding Spooner. I think he ultimately ends up getting traded, but I would love to see him stay. Caron is the odd man out. He's a guy I actually like...seems like a good, hard-working kid. Bergeron seems to have taken him under his wing during summer workouts and stuff which speaks highly of him to me. He looked really good tonight and this could very well be the year where he gets it, but I would trade him personally. However the sad truth is that he probably gets that 4th line RW spot while Knight goes back to the AHL even if most of us will disagree with it.

I can't see a team predicated on veteran poise and awareness on both ends of the ice, ices a team with that much inexperience.

Just my opinion though. I think we can expect Barty and Mcquaid to be traded and we will be stuck with Kelly again, one would hope however that he'd play the 4th line with Campbell and Paille while Carl plays with 2 of Spooner, Griffith, Gagne or Caron (1 game hasn't bought my trust so I hope he's just the 13th forward to start out)

On another note when can we expect to see Trotman cruising down I-95 South? Think it's as early as tomorrow? I hope he gets anothe game to get as raise gane

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
While Erikson has been awful in the preseason he is not alone. Actually many of the vets have been just as bad Sieds,Krejci,Pie and Kelly to name a few.

The fact that he was part of the Seguin trade is what makes him stand out but we haven't seen much from any vets other than Mcquaid who has something to play for and Soda.

The vets have nothing to prove and are just trying to get into game shape while providing support for the prospects . If we are gong to calling out Loui then let's be fair and call out the other floaters as well.

BruinsPortugal

Dec 3, 2009
Portugal
While Erikson has been awful in the preseason he is not alone. Actually many of the vets have been just as bad Sieds,Krejci,Pie and Kelly to name a few.

The fact that he was part of the Seguin trade is what makes him stand out but we haven't seen much from any vets other than Mcquaid who has something to play for and Soda.

The vets have nothing to prove and are just trying to get into game shape while providing support for the prospects . If we are gong to calling out Loui then let's be fair and call out the other floaters as well.

Thats kind of worrisome, i'd say Eriksson has quite a bit to prove.
Loui and Kelly making 7M, cap problems you say?

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Good point.....the vets collectively were far worse than the kids.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Marchy-Bergy-Smith
Fraser-Yeti-Griffith
Paille-Spooner-Knight
Robbins

I'd swap Griffith and loui but that's my team too.pretty doubt smith will be ready to go though..only 9 days til opener.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

Yup- but I don't think anyone needs "calling out." Eriksson Krejci and Fraser were the best line they had last night- consistent, supporting each other, and smart with the puck. They weren't flying out there but again it's preseason why would they be flying (fraser's got a reason and we saw some more fire from him than the other two).

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
Thats kind of worrisome, i'd say Eriksson has quite a bit to prove.
Loui and Kelly making 7M, cap problems you say?

Those 2 are not even close to the same. Loui will out 150+ sog and will create more chances then he will give up. Kelly will put up shy of 100 sog and will give up more chances.

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick

Marchy-Bergy-Smith
Fraser-Yeti-Griffith
Paille-Spooner-Knight
Robbins

4 rookies in the lineup opening night isn`t going to happen. It likely means that at some point during the season you will have 6 or 7 rookies playing in your lineup at any given time due to injuries. All the names you mentioned will likely get a shot with injury call ups. I just think the opening night lineup has a few more vets in it.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Yup- but I don't think anyone needs "calling out." Eriksson Krejci and Fraser were the best line they had last night- consistent, supporting each other, and smart with the puck. They weren't flying out there but again it's preseason why would they be flying (fraser's got a reason and we saw some more fire from him than the other two).

Agree totally, no one needs calling out, guess it's all the hate Loui gets that tires me out, everyone going about soft and no effort, like you asked, why would they be flying? It's preseason lets keep that in mind.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
This to me is Claude's lineup without Smith

Lucic -Krejci-Eriksson
Marchand-Bergeron- Gagne
Kelly-Yeti- Knight
Paille-Campbell -Robins
Fraser

It gives him the hitting fighting and veteran binkie

It will never happen

Killer B

Honey Badger don't care
Aug 28, 2008
Wisconsin
Agree totally, no one needs calling out, guess it's all the hate Loui gets that tires me out, everyone going about soft and no effort, like you asked, why would they be flying? It's preseason lets keep that in mind.

It's not hate, it's frustration... The Eriksson playing for the Bruins is a totally different guy than the Eriksson who played for the Stars. We have plenty of excuses for why that is (concussions, new city, new linemates, new system, etc). The guy has been given a lot of slack here but the bottom line is- we need "Dallas" Loui to show up here soon!

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
It's not hate, it's frustration... The Eriksson playing for the Bruins is a totally different guy than the Eriksson who played for the Stars. We have plenty of excuses for why that is (concussions, new city, new linemates, new system, etc). The guy has been given a lot of slack here but the bottom line is- we need "Dallas" Loui to show up here soon!

"been given a lot of slack here".....sorry, just not true

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
This to me is Claude's lineup without Smith

Lucic -Krejci-Eriksson
Marchand-Bergeron- Gagne
Kelly-Yeti- Knight
Paille-Campbell -Robins
Fraser

It gives him the hitting fighting and veteran binkie

It will never happen

If only they could roll 5 lines.

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
Here is what I think happens. Fraser & Gagne make the team. Gagne as a Recchi type addition and CJ loves his vets (ie Pandolfo!!). And Fraser cause he looks like the best sniper in the system and to further validate the Seguin trade. Robbins probably makes it as the 13th, unless they go with Randell. There is no way this team goes without a forward pugilist. Not sure why some are pushing for Knight. I get the Cassidy conspiracy, but he hasn't showed anything that would push him ahead of other prospects. Campbell stays and Kelly goes, hope its not the other way around. You got to have a decent PKer and I don't want Bergeron & Krejci wasting too much energy killing penalties. Smith & Krug will be re-signed once the season starts, I think Chia has a deal worked out with them already. Hope Chia trades Boychuk, Spooner/Koko, and whatever else needed to get Oiler's 1st pick. Edmonton might be feeling the pressure from fans to produce NOW and they might think that their 1st pick wont be in the bottom 5. I think there is a very good chance it might be top 3 again. And everyone knows the top 3 prospects. Any of those three could end up being a franchise player.

Lucic-Krejci-Fraser
Marchand-Bergeron-Smith
Gagne-Soda-Erik
Paille-Campbell-Robins/Randell

Chara-Hamilton
Bart-Seidenberg
Krug-McQuaid
Miller

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
Griffith looked real good last night. I don't know anything about him other than he turns out to be a 25 goal scorer in NHL 15. What's the run down on him?

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
Some of you reaaaaaaaaaaaaally need to breathe.

Veterans often take a lackadaisical approach to preseason, get the rust off, get some reps in, etc. Not ideal, no. But fairly par for the course in reality. Not nearly as forgivable for Loui, I will grant you that, but HIS perspective does not necessarily align with OUR perspective, you know?

Give it more than a mittful of games for chrissake.

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
Some of you reaaaaaaaaaaaaally need to breathe.

Veterans often take a lackadaisical approach to preseason, get the rust off, get some reps in, etc. Not ideal, no. But fairly par for the course in reality. Not nearly as forgivable for Loui, I will grant you that, but HIS perspective does not necessarily align with OUR perspective, you know?

Give it more than a mittful of games for chrissake.

This is what happens after a second round loss to the Habs. :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad