27 CRAIG ADAMS – F
36 JUSSI JOKINEN – F
41 ROBERT BORTUZZO – D
44 BROOKS ORPIK – D
58 KRIS LETANG – D
71 EVGENI MALKIN – F
87 SIDNEY CROSBY – F

This could get ugly tonight.

Pens have pretty much their opening night roster with Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Kunitz, Letang all in

Detroit has no Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Alfie, Kronwall, Howard, Ericsson, Kindl

HTT3*

Guess Babcock is throwing the kids to the wolves to see if they are as ready as they think they are.

It'd be nice if Weiss could score his first point tonight, it's getting worrisome that Filppula is tearing it up in TBL while Weiss looks below average in all areas of the ice.

irishtemper

Jun 9, 2008
We got this one tonight, Petr steals the show...gotta agree with the Soup Nazi as well, LOVE that second line!

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
It'd be nice if Weiss could score his first point tonight, it's getting worrisome that Filppula is tearing it up in TBL while Weiss looks below average in all areas of the ice.

Again - it's the preseason. These games don't matter. Nothing to worry about.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Only Paul Martin away from the lineup of Pens better players.

Maybe because he was humiliated by Datsyuk earlier. :)

At least we have a better goalie today. :)

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I am literally in shock to see Cleary on the fourth line. With that and Tats being played on the PP unit and in pressure situations, I feel like I can trust Babs to make mostly the right calls.

Now if he would just stop using Abby on the top line and Sammy on the point for PPs....

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
I am literally in shock to see Cleary on the fourth line. With that and Tats being played on the PP unit and in pressure situations, I feel like I can trust Babs to make mostly the right calls.

Now if he would just stop using Abby on the top line and Sammy on the point for PPs....

Baby steps

mizunox

Dec 4, 2008
Is this game broadcast on TV tonight?
..not that I live in either region, but I'm hoping that there will be a stream.

Soft Rock Renegade

May 17, 2012

debatable which is line 3 and which is line 4 ... khan actually has it the opposite in his column. so don't get too excited

skinneh

#FireHolland
Jul 17, 2009
Winnipeg
This is a good test for line 2 and 3. I hope line 3 has a good game and shows they should be together against top NHL'ers.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Pittsburgh Penguins ✔ @penguins

#Pens lines: Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis, Jokinen-Malkin-Neal, Bennett-Sutter-Kobasew, Glass-Jeffrey-Adams. The D are rotating.

That going up against our second group, this is going to be ugly.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

so far abby has looked solid/decent anyhow on that 1st line

if he scores 20-25 goals in that spot this season i cant see anyone complaining too much

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
debatable which is line 3 and which is line 4 ... khan actually has it the opposite in his column. so don't get too excited

That's true.

But either way he's not top6. That's a huge improvement already. Wonder if he'll get PP time.

I really hope GTA impresses against a solid, mostly NHL squad today. They've all looked good at points, but this seems like their first real big test. C'mon boys, make it impossible for the coach/management to deny you a solid line and icetime.

RayMoonDoh

Outta Waiver Stuff
Nov 12, 2011
Shore Shack
so far abby has looked solid/decent anyhow on that 1st line

if he scores 20-25 goals in that spot this season i cant see anyone complaining too much

Agreed, dawg. We forget the success of the Z-D-H line back in the day, now we've got a bigger, faster, more physical player to slot in that Homer role in abdelkader.

D and Z own the puck so much out there, putting another finese guy with them lessens their puck touches. Better to have some power on that line, thats what they seem to perfer.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I expect Babs wants to see how badly our guys want to be here in this game. It will probably be a real struggle to stay afloat against their top 2 lines. Should be interesting to see who he is matching up against Crosby and Malkin.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Agreed, dawg. We forget the success of the Z-D-H line back in the day, now we've got a bigger, faster, more physical player to slot in that Homer role in abdelkader.

D and Z own the puck so much out there, putting another finese guy with them lessens their puck touches. Better to have some power on that line, thats what they seem to perfer.

He's bigger and faster, but not smarter or more skilled.

You don't need a finesse guy, you need a smart guy. Homer didn't need to hang on to the puck. He couldn't. But he had a ton of hockey IQ. He knew how to win board battles and knew exactly where to put the puck to get it to D/Z and then he knew where the hell to go afterwards.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

You don't need a finesse guy, you need a smart guy. Homer didn't need to hang on to the puck. He couldn't. But he had a ton of hockey IQ. He knew how to win board battles and knew exactly where to put the puck to get it to D/Z and then he knew where the hell to go afterwards.

did he when he was abdelkaders age or did that come later in his career?

perhaps with some experience abby too can figure out or learn all that?

RayMoonDoh

Outta Waiver Stuff
Nov 12, 2011
Shore Shack

More skilled? We're talking about a guy who made a career of doing only 1 thing very well.

I think Abby is just as strong in the corners.

And I think as far as roster maximization, its a good fit. Abby is only gonna improve. And if he does score 20-25 goals, its all over a contract worth less than 2 mil/yr.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
Ouellet on the first pairing against the Pens real lineup? Going to be interesting. Quincey and Ericsson are both UFAs - I think he'll be up full time next season.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
As long as the kids learn something, I consider preseason games a success.

It's so depressing to see all those kids have DOB's several years after i was born.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad