GDT: 9/19/18 - 7:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Carolina [Preseason Game 2 ]

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Sergachev been playing the right all night or just that shift?

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Guess it was a good thing I missed this one. But I wanted to see which of our prospects did well. :(

Was there at least some good by our kids amid the thrashing? How did Sergachev and Koekkoek look as the only 'vets' on the blueline? Did Masin settle down? How did Cernak, Foote and Baby Giraffe 2.0 do??

I caught a bit of the end on the radio on my way home. Sounded like Pasquale did pretty good considering a plethora of penalty kills.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I only caught the third period and by that point it looked like everybody was just trying not to get hurt or something.

RegularSznAllStars

Sep 23, 2014
Anyone comment of Foote’s skating? Didn’t look good, but I didn’t see a whole lot of last night. Interestingly, the Russian giant looked smoother out there.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I missed the first so not sure how they looked there but you can tell they were outclassed in the 2nd and 3rd. Carolina on the PP had most of its top 2 units against an AHL PK unit and they had no chance. They were dominated in the faceoff circle which didn't help as they were chasing the action a lot. With Gourde being there best forward it was gonna be hard to get a lot of offense in and they were playing more a dump and chase style but I thought they did a good job getting pucks on net.

As for as who stood out I can't think of anyone who made a case to push for a spot. Koekkoek looked fine, nothing special will be ok as the 7th. Cernak was steady but didn't do enough to warrant a spot yet. I missed game 1 but Masin wasn't erratic like some mentioned he was in that game. Sosunov is huge, skated well just needs to be more physical. Foote didn't have the best of games but wasn't awful either. Seemed a bit nervous as he was reacting to what was happening instead of being aggressive and making things happen himself.

Forwards did good on the forecheck getting in and being physical but Syracuse will have a skill issue if Joseph and Volkov aren't down there. Would like to see Conacher and Andreoff down in Syracuse to give them some good vet presence. Dumont didn't look good and Bournival has been having injury problems. Raddysh and Katchouk are going to need to take a big role if Joseph and Volkov aren't there and I can see Syracuse starting slow again like last year while they get acclimated.

Reactions: DFC

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I wasn't really impressed by anyone on the ice last night, which isn't great for some of those guys (especially Erne, Cernak and Koekkoek) because they're bubble guys right now that didn't do anything to improve their stock, IMO.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I wasn't really impressed by anyone on the ice last night, which isn't great for some of those guys (especially Erne, Cernak and Koekkoek) because they're bubble guys right now that didn't do anything to improve their stock, IMO.

Why do Koekkoek and Erne need to improve their stock? TheyrTh both waiver eligible so their spot on the team secure even if it's just the 13th forward or 7th D. They'll get some game time with injuries but neither was gonna be getting a top 9 or top 4 role even if they killed it in the preseason. They're both depth guys for this season. Cernak wasn't making the team with the depth on D anyway, he played well enough to deserve the first call up which is all he needed to do.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Why do Koekkoek and Erne need to improve their stock? TheyrTh both waiver eligible so their spot on the team secure even if it's just the 13th forward or 7th D. They'll get some game time with injuries but neither was gonna be getting a top 9 or top 4 role even if they killed it in the preseason. They're both depth guys for this season. Cernak wasn't making the team with the depth on D anyway, he played well enough to deserve the first call up which is all he needed to do.

Cernak could have absolutely made the team with an impressive showing (it's also just one game. I'm sure his whole work at camp will be considered, not just one preseason game) and Koekkoek needed an impressive showing to keep from being leapfrogged by Cernak and or Masin. Yeah, it was likely going to be in the Koekkoek spot of random gametime or 7th D that sees minor minutes, but that spot is up for grabs. Koekkoek may hold it by default if Cernak doesn't take it, but to say Cernak wasn't going to make the team is something I absolutely disagree with.

Same kind of deal with Erne. I think Joseph had a very impressive showing and if you assume that at least 8 of the top 9 spots are filled (Stamkos, Miller, Kuch, Killorn, Palat, Point, Johnson, Gourde) then you're looking at: Paquette, Cirelli, Erne, Conacher, potentially Volkov and Joseph to fill 4 spots. Add another body to that when Callahan comes back. Sure, Erne probably gets the default shot because he was doing well last year before he got hurt but I don't think he's done anything to cement his spot by any means.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Anyone comment of Foote’s skating? Didn’t look good, but I didn’t see a whole lot of last night. Interestingly, the Russian giant looked smoother out there.

I've been impressed by both Sosunov and Masin's skating. Masin doesn't look ready to me, but his skillset makes me really optimistic about next year or the year following. Love the way he moves for a 200+ pounder.

Sosunov is even more impressive in that regard, but only because he's even bigger, and it's so rare to see a genuine monster skate like that. He made Sergachev look small last night. I hope we give him a full camp. Remains an interesting project, IMO. Is he destined for Syracuse this year? Or are we sending him to a tweener league??? Anybody know?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Seems like it's been a while since we've run with fewer than 8 D though. Unless that changes, Cernak should have a legit shot to crack the roster. And I think you have to wonder if we wouldn't rather Girardi be our D who rotates out. I can't see us pressboxing Coburn just yet, but somebody's gonna have to take the odd night off. So that feels like Girardi to me, which, I think, means Cernak's gonna get a legit shot.

The coaching staff appears to have all but given up on Koekkoek, so I don't know that we're in a hurry to get him into games.

Reactions: Hockey4Life91

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Cernak could have absolutely made the team with an impressive showing (it's also just one game. I'm sure his whole work at camp will be considered, not just one preseason game) and Koekkoek needed an impressive showing to keep from being leapfrogged by Cernak and or Masin. Yeah, it was likely going to be in the Koekkoek spot of random gametime or 7th D that sees minor minutes, but that spot is up for grabs. Koekkoek may hold it by default if Cernak doesn't take it, but to say Cernak wasn't going to make the team is something I absolutely disagree with.

Same kind of deal with Erne. I think Joseph had a very impressive showing and if you assume that at least 8 of the top 9 spots are filled (Stamkos, Miller, Kuch, Killorn, Palat, Point, Johnson, Gourde) then you're looking at: Paquette, Cirelli, Erne, Conacher, potentially Volkov and Joseph to fill 4 spots. Add another body to that when Callahan comes back. Sure, Erne probably gets the default shot because he was doing well last year before he got hurt but I don't think he's done anything to cement his spot by any means.

I think we're more likely to carry 8 D than risk Koekkoek to waivers.

It's hard to imagine us risking Erne either. But we're going to carry either 13 or 14 forwards, which probably depends more on Cernak than anything else. My gut feeling is Conacher goes down to provide Syracuse a top-level AHL scorer. I think all of our other regulars are very safe, and we're just looking for a Kunitz replacement and somebody to fill in for Callahan. And then we either replace Dotchin (Cernak), or keep another forward up.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I think we're more likely to carry 8 D than risk Koekkoek to waivers.

It's hard to imagine us risking Erne either. But we're going to carry either 13 or 14 forwards, which probably depends more on Cernak than anything else. My gut feeling is Conacher goes down to provide Syracuse a top-level AHL scorer. I think all of our other regulars are very safe, and we're just looking for a Kunitz replacement and somebody to fill in for Callahan. And then we either replace Dotchin (Cernak), or keep another forward up.

Erne should down where he should be, guy has done nothing at the NHL level to warrant a spot. They re-signed Conacher at the time with intention of him being in the NHL and they kept him up all of last year, don't see anything changing especially with 2 more spots open. My guess is they both stay up for opening night.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Fat chance opening night the 6 D we put out aren't Hedman, McDonagh, Stralman, Sergachev, Coburn and Girardi. Cernak could make the team but he isn't playing day 1. He's waiver exempt, start him in Syracuse then bring him up if needed, no need to sit him in the pressbox. We held Kucherov back even after he killed it in preseason until he killed it in the AHL and we had to bring him up. That was when we weren't even as deep at forward. We are stacked on D and even if he wouldvwo killed it in the preseason there just isn't a spot in the starting lineup.

For forwards the top 9 should be set, Erne has a 4th line spot and Volkov or Joseph have to beat him out. So far it's close and they could but Erne will still be on the team even if he's serving popcorn. Conacher and Andreoff should go down while we keep up Joseph and Volkov while they battle Erne to play with Paquette. If neither can beat him out send them down and bring up Andreoff to sit in the pressbox. We just don't have a lot of spots for these kids and wasting them with 10 minutes on the 4th or bottom pair is dumb.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Yeah, just for the record I didn't really mean that Koekkoek and Erne wouldn't be on the team, just moreso that they'd lose time or sit over those other guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad