TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING

GDT

TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING vs CAROLINA HURRICANES
* * * P R E S E A S O N - G A M E # 2 * * *

cut.jpg

7:00 PM - WEDMESDAY, SEPTEMBER 19TH 2018
PNC ARENA - RALEIGH, NORTH CAROLINA

RADIO:
AM 970 WFLA > Listen to Newsradio 970 WFLA Live - Tampa Bay's News, Traffic, & Weather | iHeartRadio
Lightning Power Play > Listen to Lightning Power Play Live - Tampa Bay Lightning, Be The Thunder! | iHeartRadio

STREAMS:
Official Tampa Bay Lightning Website (tampa market only)

cut.jpg

- STARTING LINEUPS -

:bolts

41 BORIS KATCHOUK - 67 MITCHELL STEPHENS - 73 ADAM ERNE
37 YANNI GOURDE - 71 ANTHONY CIRELLI - 89 CORY CONACHER
15 ANDY ANDREOFF - 13 CEDRIC PAQUETTE - 40 GABRIEL DUMONT
75 DANIEL WALCOTT - 42 OTTO SOMPPI - 54 CARTER VERHAEGHE

74 DOMINIK MASIN - 98 MIKHAIL SERGACHEV
29 SLATER KOEKKOEK - 81 ERIK CERNAK
76 OLEG SOSUNOV - 52 CAL FOOTE

30 CORBIN BOES
80 EDDIE PASQUALE

:canes

8 SAKU MAENALANEN
11 JORDAN STAAL
13 WARREN FOEGELE
14 JUSTIN WILLIAMS
20 SEBASTION AHO
21 JULIEN GAUTHIER
58 NICOLAS ROY
59 JANNE KUOKKANEN
75 SPENCE SMALLMAN
78 STEVEN LORENTZ
79 MICHAEL FERLAND
86 TEUVO TERAVAINEN
88 MARTIN NECAS

19 DOUGIE HAMILTON
22 BRETT PESCE
26 MICHAEL FORA
27 JUSTIN FAULK
44 CALVIN de HAAN
46 TREVOR CARRICK
65 JOSH DIDIER
74 JACCOB SLAVIN

33 SCOTT DARLING
50 JEREMY HELVIG
70 CALLUM BOOTH

cut.jpg

- STATS -
POSGPGAPTS
7 MATHIEU JOSEPHLW1101
9 TYLER JOHNSONC1011
46 TAYLOR RADDYSHRW1011
15 ANDY ANDREOFFLW1000
91 STEVEN STAMKOSC1000
86 NIKITA KUCHEROVRW1000
77 VICTOR HEDMAND1000
27 RYAN McDONAGHD1000
5 DAN GIRARDID1000
55 BRAYDON COBURND1000
18 ONDREJ PALATLW1000
21 BRAYDEN POINTC1000
36 ALEXEY LIPANOVC1000
79 ALEXANDER VOLKOVLW1000
82 GABRIEL FORTIERLW1000
47 JONNE TAMMELARW1000
74 DOMINIK MASIND1000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
GPRECORDSOGAASV%
88 ANDREI VASILEVSKIY10-1-004.00.886
1 CONNOR INGRAM0----
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
- PRESEASON SCHEDULE -
DATEOPPONENTARENATIMETVSCORE
SEPTEMBER 18THVS CAROLINAAMALIE ARENA, TAMPA7:30 PM-1-4 L
SEPTEMBER 19THAT CAROLINAPNC ARENA, RALEIGH7:00 PM--
SEPTEMBER 21STAT NASHVILLEBRIDGESTONE ARENA, NASHVILLE8:00 PM--
SEPTEMBER 22NDVS NASHVILLEAMALIE ARENA, TAMPA7:00 PM--
SEPTEMBER 25THVS FLORIDAAMALIE ARENA, TAMPA7:30 PM--
SEPTEMBER 27THVS FLORIDAAMWAY CENTER, ORLANDO7:00 PMSUN, FS-F-
SEPTEMBER 29THAT FLORIDABB&T CENTER, SUNRISE7:00 PM--
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
cut.jpg

- QUOTES -

:bolts

LET'S GO BOLTS!

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I'm inclined to think that Pasquale is getting the start tonight. TB doesn't really like splitting time with their goalies, and while I'd personally really like to see Boes play, I don't think he's really in the mix for a TB/SYR spot.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Guys who need a good showing:

Cernak, Masin, Erne (probably most especially him), Stephens, Koekkoek.

Guys who I hope impress but really have a lot of rope here:
Katchouk, Sommpi, Foote.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018

Katchouk, Sommpi, Foote.

Personally looking really towards Gourde and Sosunov. My reasoning for Gourde is because I want to see if he can repeat last season or if it was an outlier case. With Sosunov, I want to see Baby Giraffe 2.0 to succeed.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Personally looking really towards Gourde and Sosunov. My reasoning for Gourde is because I want to see if he can repeat last season or if it was an outlier case. With Sosunov, I want to see Baby Giraffe 2.0 to succeed.
Yeah but Sosunov is a project player. I don't expect much out of him in his first action against NHL talent. As for Gourde - it's the preseason and he's established. His job is to not get injured right now.

That being said... anyone else get the feeling that this will be our last year of Yanni? If he comes back with another 60 point season, I just don't see how the money will work.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Canes Lineup
Ferland-Aho-Maenalanen
Kuokkanen-Staal-Williams
Foegele-Necas-Teravainen
Smallman-Roy-Gauthier

Slavin-Hamilton
de Haan-Faulk
Carrick-Didier

Darling
Booth

Hopefully Kuokkanen and Koekkoek don't collide tonight.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Yeah but Sosunov is a project player. I don't expect much out of him in his first action against NHL talent. As for Gourde - it's the preseason and he's established. His job is to not get injured right now.

That being said... anyone else get the feeling that this will be our last year of Yanni? If he comes back with another 60 point season, I just don't see how the money will work.
I can see him signing a short term deal while money opens up, but I can also see it going the other way. If he puts up 60 again, He can easily ask for TJ money.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I'm going over that play Joseph made to the net last night in my head and while it's one goal, one play and nothing overly special as a definite indication of his talent or consistency, it gives me heart because that was the kind of play we were missing in the ECF against the Capitals. We can score them pretty but not always dirty. I'm excited to see what else he does if he makes the team. He made a good case last night and had a good sequence with Johnson shorthanded too. I think we'll know if he's ready in a few more games.

Also a few kudos to Raddysh in the brief moments that I saw him. It was a smart play he made to Joseph on the goal and I briefly saw another sequence where he chugged ahead at full speed down the right wing wall. If Lipanov makes a better pass Raddysh would've had a good scoring chance. His development in Syracuse will be fun to watch and I say that knowing if Volkov couldn't make the team last year and Connolly a few years ago despite a good preseason; there is no way Raddysh is getting it without a stint in the AHL to groom him to the pro level.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Yeah, we actually need him to take a step back in order to get him under contract, assuming we're big game hunting the UFA market.

That said, I'm not sure Gourde repeats anyway. He struggled a lot in the playoffs. I think maybe he's more a 50ish, or even 45+, point player, which I'm still ecstatic about, rather than a legit 60+ point guy. On one hand I'd like him to prove me wrong, but on the other hand, if he does, we probably won't be able to afford him, and won't be in a position to trade him as a rental.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'm going over that play Joseph made to the net last night in my head and while it's one goal, one play and nothing overly special as a definite indication of his talent or consistency, it gives me heart because that was the kind of play we were missing in the ECF against the Capitals. We can score them pretty but not always dirty. I'm excited to see what else he does if he makes the team. He made a good case last night and had a good sequence with Johnson shorthanded too. I think we'll know if he's ready in a few more games.

Also a few kudos to Raddysh in the brief moments that I saw him. It was a smart play he made to Joseph on the goal and I briefly saw another sequence where he chugged ahead at full speed down the right wing wall. If Lipanov makes a better pass Raddysh would've had a good scoring chance. His development in Syracuse will be fun to watch and I say that knowing if Volkov couldn't make the team last year and Connolly a few years ago despite a good preseason; there is no way Raddysh is getting it without a stint in the AHL to groom him to the pro level.

Yeah, I don't think Raddysh is in the running, nor should he be. He looked just okay last night, despite that nice soft pass to Joseph. It's more that he didn't do much of the stuff he made his name on in junior. I didn't see him getting to the net and gobbling up loose pucks or creating those quick, split-second chances.

Joseph and Volkov seem to be clear frontrunners, with Conacher and Stephens having a legit shot, as well as Andreoff. I may be forgetting somebody.

Erne's spot is probably secure unless he looks awful throughout the preseason, but just by looking at him it appears he put in a ton of work in the off-season. Good sign.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Katchouk, Sommpi, Foote.

Masin stood out in a bad way last night. I don't know that he has a realistic path to this year's team, but he's probably going to want to impress tonight. Unfortunately, that seemed like part of his issue last night, wanting to impress too much.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
If tonight just ends up being the reverse of yesterday, the 'youth v rust' matchup might need a tweak.

Maybe a team of half NHL and half AHL/junior guys one night, and then flip for everyone else the next game seeing as the young guys were driving the pace in Game 1.

Though you only really need an energy line on the rust team that can get them going.

Last edited:

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
If tonight just ends up being the reverse of yesterday, the 'youth v rust' matchup might need a tweak.

Maybe a team of half NHL and half AHL/junior guys one night, and then flip for everyone else the next game seeing as the young guys were driving the pace in Game 1.

Though you only really need an energy line on the rust team that can get them going.

Yesterday was The Lightning vs TVR, we lost, miserably. Without TVR we stand a chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->