OT: 85th Obsequious Banter Thread: Pelle Lindbergh Memorial Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
The wife gets a massage monthly and this was what she saw as she was leaving today. She was asked to go back inside and wait until the standoff was over. She was in there for 1 hour post massage.

234136895_4322387427818587_1251064538249142725_n.jpg

Tell shorty on the right to call me, eh?

Superman33

Feb 27, 2002
Bucks County.
Hi there, I think you will find a decent number of people that have faced this situation. I can relate all too well to your situation. I worked as a Dispatcher for AAA from the time I was 18 til I was 27, just a couple months short of my 10 year anniversary. In the final 2 years or so of me being there, I absolutely hated it. My job had become unrecognizable to the job I was hired for, and been promoted to in the first 2 years I was working there. Yet I retained the same title, same level of pay, and no additional benefits of any kind, to supplement the changes to my work that I had grown through. Additionally more and more work was being piled on to me in an effort to consolidate my department. And management, specifically the supervisory staff that I directly reported to, was going through a large amount of turnover due to these changes. Even with my experience, the reliance on me to train not only new hires on the floor but now my newly hired supervisors, I was barred from getting a job as a supervisor and advancing due to my lack of education. By the time I got to the last 6 months of my employment there I was doing more than what my previous supervisors had to do for the 9 years I had been there previously, and more than the current supervisors on staff were able or capable of doing.

I had a fairly good relationship with my managers that were above the supervisors as they had been there since I had been hired, and I'm a bit of a talker at work and genuinely try to get to know people. I was also very good at my job and I knew that they knew, they needed me. It took a lot of nerve but one day I came in with a plan, resolute that if things did not change following the meeting I was to have with my manager that today would be my last day or I would be giving them notice. I spoke with the one I was most comfortable with, she had been my direct supervisor at one point, and laid it out. I knew and she knew how much my job had changed over the past couple years. We both knew that what I was currently doing would have been a supervisors job and gotten a supervisor title and supervisor pay 2 years ago. I was frank, direct, but respectful with my conversation with her, and made it clear that I was unhappy and found the situation untenable moving forward. Her answer was basically that this is what my job entailed now, and the only thing she could do was offer a demotion to a lower level than where I was at, to ease some of the responsibilities I had. This would lead to a pay cut and the demotion came 8 years after earning the promotion to where I was. But I took it. Then I immediately started looking for another job. At first looking for a new job was just something on the backburner. The demotion eased up my responsibilities and I didn't hate life as much going to work anymore. I found it harder and harder still as I watched incompetence unfold around me however, and eventually decided to just go to school full time. Called a favor from a friend and got hired at Wawa in a part time position to keep my head above water while I got my degree.

I'm now working on my Master's and am working at a job that I really enjoy. I fell into it to be honest, and it's not repeatable so I don't have the knowledge to tell you how to go out and get a job more easily. But I can say, you are in a much better financial situation than I was when I decided it was time to go. And my work at a more menial job was so much easier and stress free. It still obviously had drawbacks, but I was so much happier with my life after that. All of this is to say, is be honest with yourself. You know that the job is toxic now. Thats why you are looking and asking for advice. Feel free to express those thoughts in a mature and respectful way to the people at your company that can make changes to help you. And if they can't? Well you know that you want out and that fire to go look for a job will be more ignited.

Sorry for the long post. I just really related to this post a lot. I wish you luck. And its never too late to revamp yourself! All that experience is worth it. And loyalty to companies for that long is rare these days. It is a credit to you. Good luck!

I wrote two posts longer than this in response to the topic, so you're totally good on that front.

I wanted to respond to you to voice my opinion and support that the "don't have the education to be a supervisor" is one of my biggest issues I have with the way our society looks at jobs. I have spent more money on pieces of paper saying I can do a job than I care to count and I still ended up learning more on the actual job than any classroom... other than the fact that for me some of that learning was actually in a classroom, just one where I was teaching.

Between my Bachelor and Master degrees I've accumulated 200 college level credits. My former assistant had 0. The best person to replace me was her. She knew the job better than anyone else on our team and would know it better than anyone we would bring in from the outside. The 2nd best person for the job has two of the same degrees I have, but she didn't have an additional piece of paper that I had. I finally convinced them to take the requirement of that special piece of paper off the posting. It was instead listed as "preferred".

We're moving into a world where everything is so job specific and for a lot of positions those jobs are constantly evolving. You could go to college to get a degree in a certain field and the job you're going to be working in is completely different within 5 years.

I'd take experience actually doing a job over a piece of paper saying you spent money to say you could do the job any day. My first ever hire was an 18 year old who went to a technical high school and literally did the job of a school based technician throughout his four years there. I picked him over 10 other candidates, all with college degrees. He is currently 21 and the best tech our district has, so much so that other departments try to poach him for their technical specific positions. Kid just really likes taking things apart and putting them back together, and he is insanely good at it.

Long story short, it is beyond dumb that your situation unfolded the way it did, but I'm happy that you were able to land in a better spot, even if you "fell" into it. That tends to happen to people who are legitimately good at their job and are good people as well.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
We were told to disable or destroy any equipment or gear if we had to abandon it.
There was plenty of time to plan the withdrawal, so there is zero excuse for the way it has been executed.

Could someone not have thought a bit ahead of this eventuality and given the Afghan forces drones with hidden chips through which US forces could have regained control of them? Seriously, just a few mini cameras and microphones for surveillance?

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Could someone not have thought a bit ahead of this eventuality and given the Afghan forces drones with hidden chips through which US forces could have regained control of them? Seriously, just a few mini cameras and microphones for surveillance?
IMO if the government is involved the plan won’t work.

Reactions: BernieParent

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
Last Madden I played was '19 and I played way too much of it (weekend league every weekend, grinding all solos, etc.). Stopped because everyone runs the same 4 plays.

Thinking about giving it a try on next gen, but not sure. Having a ton of fun with MLB this year even though ranked is a sweatfest especially pushing for WS every season.

Did anyone play Madden yet on early access on Xbox? IF so, should I get the game?

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
The wife gets a massage monthly and this was what she saw as she was leaving today. She was asked to go back inside and wait until the standoff was over. She was in there for 1 hour post massage.

234136895_4322387427818587_1251064538249142725_n.jpg
Only in Canada ....

Reactions: Tripod

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Last Madden I played was '19 and I played way too much of it (weekend league every weekend, grinding all solos, etc.). Stopped because everyone runs the same 4 plays.

Thinking about giving it a try on next gen, but not sure. Having a ton of fun with MLB this year even though ranked is a sweatfest especially pushing for WS every season.

Did anyone play Madden yet on early access on Xbox? IF so, should I get the game?
It’s likely the same exact game it’s been for 10 years now.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018

Last time I played was Madden 07 on ps2. GOAT Madden. Training camps, create a franchise, QB vision. So much fun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad