OT: 83rd Obsequious Banter Thread: Balls to the Wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I have heard that many times in the past. So you are considered part time so they don’t have to offer health insurance. Before I got hired full time where I am at now I was a temp making 11 bucks a hour with 37 1/2 hours a week. So the average person in that scenario cannot afford health insurance.
. I was fortunate that I have my wifes insurance which is great since she is a state worker. I just get annoyed at all the rich political folks, the rich news people who make it seem like it’s easy to find a job making a living wage. Its not.
so basically what I am trying to say is the system f***ing sucks.

And that missing 2.5 hours is what destroys people financially.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
If I was single making that kind of money I am likely homeless or staying in very low income housing. I think I was taking home like 315 a week. Good luck living on that.
yep. It's not just that low paying jobs are paying equivalently less than they used to; benefits have been steadily gutted for years, and then when they scam you into being part time you can forget about even accessing those.

swami24

Jul 24, 2020
Just thinking about old time baseball. Those guys played in the summer in wool uniforms. No A/c in the clubhouse, no gatorade. I guess if it is all you ever knew, you just accepted it, but it had to be physically draining

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Just thinking about old time baseball. Those guys played in the summer in wool uniforms. No A/c in the clubhouse, no gatorade. I guess if it is all you ever knew, you just accepted it, but it had to be physically draining

This is possibly why you have Washington as the most southern MLB team in the 40s, and don't see the NYC and Boston team exodus to CA and Georgia and expansion south until after AC was becoming common. Minor leagues existed but the big leagues had no presence.

Edit: On second thought, travel was probably the real factor here. Makes sense for the leagues to be focused in the same general region and in rail hubs to boot until air travel was more mature

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
We’re potty training over here. It’s a nightmare when there is a “hose” involved.
Speaking of potty training, I recently found out that a friend of mine learned to use the toilet backwards... like he sits there facing away from the back of the toilet.

Is that a cultural thing, where some places are different, or just his family being weird?

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Speaking of potty training, I recently found out that a friend of mine learned to use the toilet backwards... like he sits there facing away from the back of the toilet.

Is that a cultural thing, where some places are different, or just his family being weird?
Someone should post butters from south park. Other than myself that is.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
A lot of great athletes come from poverty and have no idea how to manage money, or want to give it back to their community. This is a tale as old as professional sports. You don't see it in hockey because players tend to be from more affluent backgrounds due to the cost of the sport, so it's all guys who aren't new to having cash. Also a tale as old as sports: Guys who figure they only have a tiny window to live large while at the top of their game, so they do; or, they think the gravy train will last for far longer than it does and their career promptly ends after they've saved nothing.

Things have become better with respect to the leagues helping the athletes with financial education, but most of these athletes come from low income situations with no understanding of finance. So, all of a sudden they're getting 5 or 6 figure biweekly paycheques and they spend that money immediately, while taking out leases and mortgages based on their income that they have no business qualifying for because they'll be out of the league in 2-3 years in a lot of cases.

So, while the leagues have been better about trying to educate their players, it's really not enough, especially since it's difficult to convince a 20 something athlete that their career will be short and that they should save that money for their long term future.

Great posts by both. You touch on a lot of the same points.

A lot of it is how you were raised to think about money. They finally have some financial literacy in most schools now up in Canada.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Great posts by both. You touch on a lot of the same points.

A lot of it is how you were raised to think about money. They finally have some financial literacy in most schools now up in Canada.

If you're poor, saving money and investing it to let interest grow it is a concept that you'll never be able to practice. Money comes in and it all has to go back out for food, rent, bills, etc. So it's not surprising that there's a century+ of players spending it all as it comes in. Money in, money out is what they know.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Prolly the study was sponsored by the milk industry due to all the other "milk" alternatives out there ..ha ha. But seriously...reminds me about how the Mongols had a genetic advantage that allowed them to be milk drinkers which gave them more "stamina" than societies that were agrarian and derived their energy intake from carbs.

A glass of milk a day helps keep heart disease away! - Study Finds

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
If you're poor, saving money and investing it to let interest grow it is a concept that you'll never be able to practice. Money comes in and it all has to go back out for food, rent, bills, etc. So it's not surprising that there's a century+ of players spending it all as it comes in. Money in, money out is what they know.
People taking advantage and feeling the need to live certain lifestyles factor in as well.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Milk is revolting.

Superman says you're wrong and he will beat you up

got-milk-superman-1200x600.jpeg

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Milk is revolting.

The Mongols loved milk and they conquered or killed like half of the earths population at the time.

you, on the other hand, hate milk and struggle going up and down stairs.

Genghis Khan would have killed you and stolen Beefette without a second thought.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I would very much like to see what is in your kitchen cupboards/pantry and fridge.

If I were living alone:

Sausage
Leftover smoked meat
Cheeses (this isn't milk)
Spicy ramen
Regular spaghetti
Olives
Olive oil
Saltines
Hot sauces and horseradish to put on the saltines
Things I've pickled
Bread

That's all I require.

By the way, the Mongols didn't just drink milk. They improved it to a higher form. It ascended. They made that shit into cheese and booze. That's not milk, that's awesome. Milk-ass milk is the opposite of awesome.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The Mongols loved milk and they conquered or killed like half of the earths population at the time.

you, on the other hand, hate milk and struggle going up and down stairs.

Genghis Khan would have killed you and stolen Beefette without a second thought.

I made sure we bought runners for the stairs at New House because otherwise I'd be dead the second we moved in.

These incidents could be avoided if I stopped going down the stairs at a dead sprint but life is too short for that.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
If I were living alone:

Sausage
Leftover smoked meat
Cheeses (this isn't milk)
Spicy ramen
Regular spaghetti
Olives
Olive oil
Saltines
Hot sauces and horseradish to put on the saltines
Things I've pickled
Bread

That's all I require.

By the way, the Mongols didn't just drink milk. They improved it to a higher form. It ascended. They made that shit into cheese and booze. That's not milk, that's awesome. Milk-ass milk is the opposite of awesome.
Genghis must have had awesome parties with booze and epic cheese trays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad