OT: 83rd Obsequious Banter Thread: Balls to the Wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
The daughter was also adamant that she had to help me make the fire for the smoked wings I'm making.

Between her burger adventure and lust for fire, it's an A+ parenting day.

A quote after I lit the fuel block thingies under the chimney: "Yay-hoo! Fire is good!"
We’re potty training over here. It’s a nightmare when there is a “hose” involved.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
You HAVE to hold it down. Repeat 200 times. HOLD IT DOWN!!!!

Is he trying to recreate this:

paper_magazine_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq88i22AcLyVVAp-kasTX53xNxx_MirvW6u8lTMJxqhjg.jpg

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
The daughter was also adamant that she had to help me make the fire for the smoked wings I'm making.

Between her burger adventure and lust for fire, it's an A+ parenting day.

A quote after I lit the fuel block thingies under the chimney: "Yay-hoo! Fire is good!"

So you are essentially re-enacting the development of human civilization? I think the wheel and stone tools would be next. When you get to the nuclear weapons part you might want to just skip over that.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Many other chains have also said they would be forced to hike prices if the federal minimum wage was raised.

From the article, it sounds like Chipotle pays their employees anywhere from $11 to $13/hour already, so they don't have too far to go if they have to raise their wage to $15. Think of all the other places that are no where close to $15/hour and what that will do.
Slightly OT but here's what people don't understand about raising the minimum wage in regards to retail: I work in retail and we get hours based on need and payroll availability. If we do good business we get more hours and less if it's not. If they have to raise the per hour wage it doesn't magically raise the available payroll (which is based on sales) and what happens is people end up getting fewer hours and actually end up making either the same and often even less.

Embiid

*Injured
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Badminton on slippery grass plus no eal exercise for a year leads to me not being able to use stairs for a while. Too many impromptu splits. Then next week I get at least one toe ripped up for ingrown toenail treatment, hopefully both, and I'll be hobbling again. Being old sucks donkey balls.
You've got to take it ez with those Xtreme sports...

Last edited:

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Was listening to Rogan on my drive yesterday, and they were talking sports for a bit.

Apparently 78% of retired NFL players are bankrupt within 2 years of retiring.

That figure is 60% for retired basketball players.

Insanity.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
Was listening to Rogan on my drive yesterday, and they were talking sports for a bit.

Insanity.

It's similar for lottery winners IIRC. I would guess that a significant portion of it comes from basically not having to worry about money from the time you sign your first contract (NFL rookie minimum is $660,000 and NBA is almost $900,000), then all of a sudden no longer getting paid after 13-16 years and realizing you never planned/budgeted for it, because you never really HAD to budget before. I don't think the leagues/unions do enough to really inform the players about how to plan for life after the checks stop coming.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Insanity.

A lot of great athletes come from poverty and have no idea how to manage money, or want to give it back to their community. This is a tale as old as professional sports. You don't see it in hockey because players tend to be from more affluent backgrounds due to the cost of the sport, so it's all guys who aren't new to having cash. Also a tale as old as sports: Guys who figure they only have a tiny window to live large while at the top of their game, so they do; or, they think the gravy train will last for far longer than it does and their career promptly ends after they've saved nothing.

I'm pretty sure that NBA stat is an improvement though? They created financial education programs for players years ago? I think?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
PBS here was on fire last night with a long documentary on Miles Davis coming on the heels of an episode of Baseball.

For a series as amazingly long and detailed as Baseball, I felt they really needed to dedicate more time to Satchel Paige. Guy might be the greatest pitcher of all time, but we can't know for sure because of segregation. Either way, a highly fascinating player who would be considered too unrealistic for video games and should have gotten more focus.

Hanover Fist

Aug 22, 2018
1313 Mockingbird Lane
PBS here was on fire last night with a long documentary on Miles Davis coming on the heels of an episode of Baseball.

For a series as amazingly long and detailed as Baseball, I felt they really needed to dedicate more time to Satchel Paige. Guy might be the greatest pitcher of all time, but we can't know for sure because of segregation. Either way, a highly fascinating player who would be considered too unrealistic for video games and should have gotten more focus.

Huge Josh Gibson fan. This man gets no respect

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City

Insanity.
One of the best ESPN 30 for 30s was about how athletes go bankrupt so quickly after retirement.

Things have become better with respect to the leagues helping the athletes with financial education, but most of these athletes come from low income situations with no understanding of finance. So, all of a sudden they're getting 5 or 6 figure biweekly paycheques and they spend that money immediately, while taking out leases and mortgages based on their income that they have no business qualifying for because they'll be out of the league in 2-3 years in a lot of cases.

So, while the leagues have been better about trying to educate their players, it's really not enough, especially since it's difficult to convince a 20 something athlete that their career will be short and that they should save that money for their long term future.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Slightly OT but here's what people don't understand about raising the minimum wage in regards to retail: I work in retail and we get hours based on need and payroll availability. If we do good business we get more hours and less if it's not. If they have to raise the per hour wage it doesn't magically raise the available payroll (which is based on sales) and what happens is people end up getting fewer hours and actually end up making either the same and often even less.

I have heard that many times in the past. So you are considered part time so they don’t have to offer health insurance. Before I got hired full time where I am at now I was a temp making 11 bucks a hour with 37 1/2 hours a week. So the average person in that scenario cannot afford health insurance.
. I was fortunate that I have my wifes insurance which is great since she is a state worker. I just get annoyed at all the rich political folks, the rich news people who make it seem like it’s easy to find a job making a living wage. Its not.
so basically what I am trying to say is the system f***ing sucks.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Huge Josh Gibson fan. This man gets no respect

He should. More attention needs to be given to the top stars in the Negro Leagues. For my money their playstyle was a hell of a lot better than pre-Ruth small ball, too. Get on base however you can and then start advancing.

Robinson was the best at it and he mentally broke pitchers once he made the transition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->