Post-Game Talk: #81 | Hurricanes at FLYERS | Thu., Apr. 5, 2018, 7:00 pm ET

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I'm frankly appalled that Giroux got less minutes than Filppula. Your Hart trophy candidate is getting less minutes than a 4th line scrub in a critical game.

If it turns out Giroux got banged up and that is why he got the minutes he did fine, but otherwise that should be a fireable offense.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
****ing insane and amazingly dangerous. We're so ****ing lucky we won. Holy ****... If Hak tried to pull this **** in the playoffs he'll definitely be run out of town.

I don't think anyone in the Flyers organization gives a shit. Hak has them all eating out of his palm for some reason. Hextall and Co love him and he can do no wrong.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
This whole "98% chance to make the playoffs" stat is misleading and keeps getting people needlessly worked up lately. Same with talking about the "collapse".
As if the team had a playoff spot locked up and then lost nearly every remaining game. As if the teams behind them were still garbage, but we were even worse..

Just look at the numbers
At their highest, the Flyers were 1st in the division on Feb 27th.

From that point, until today, April 6th:
Flyers --- 7-7-4 - 18 points in 18 games (not good, but not a horrific collapse)
BJs --- 13-3-2 - 28 points in 18 games (4th in the league)
Devils --- 12-6-1 - 25 points in 19 games (7th in the league)
Panthers --- 14-5-2 - 30 points in 21 games (1st in the league)

In reality, the Flyers didn't play great, but it's obviously more a matter of the teams behind them suddenly getting crazy hot.

Meanwhile, in that period of time, we didn't have our starting or backup goalie and Mrazek was rocking the 3-6-3 record, .880 sv%, and 3.70 gaa. That's what hurt us most, other than the things that were hurting us all year long, like coaching and garbage vets.

As for the top players in those 18 games:
Giroux - 9 goals, 15 assists, 24 points
Voracek- 7 goals, 8 assists, 15 points
Ghost - 3 goals, 11 assists, 14 points
Konecny - 9 goals, 4 assists, 13 points
Couturier - 2 goals, 11 assists, 13points
Patrick - 4 goals, 8 assists, 12 points
Provorov - 5 goals, 6 assists, 11 points

Not as high scoring as before (other than Giroux), but it's not like they completely disappeared. They carried the team all year... they just didn't get any help when their production dipped a tiny bit.

So acting like the team suddenly fell apart when it mattered is pretty ridiculous. Most things were the same, outside of the things like injuries and the play of other teams.

Could the Flyers have played better? Yeah, of course, but the point is this "collapse" is nowhere near as dramatic as so many posts what to make it seem.

Van Buren Boy

--------------------
Aug 18, 2006
This whole "98% chance to make the playoffs" stat is misleading and keeps getting people needlessly worked up lately. Same with talking about the "collapse".
As if the team had a playoff spot locked up and then lost nearly every remaining game. As if the teams behind them were still garbage, but we were even worse..

Just look at the numbers

Flyers --- 7-7-4 - 18 points in 18 games (not good, but not a horrific collapse)

In reality, the Flyers didn't play great, but it's obviously more a matter of the teams behind them suddenly getting crazy hot.

Meanwhile, in that period of time, we didn't have our starting or backup goalie and Mrazek was rocking the 3-6-3 record, .880 sv%, and 3.70 gaa. That's what hurt us most, other than the things that were hurting us all year long, like coaching and garbage vets.

As for the top players in those 18 games:
Giroux - 9 goals, 15 assists, 24 points
Voracek- 7 goals, 8 assists, 15 points
Ghost - 3 goals, 11 assists, 14 points
Konecny - 9 goals, 4 assists, 13 points
Couturier - 2 goals, 11 assists, 13points
Patrick - 4 goals, 8 assists, 12 points
Provorov - 5 goals, 6 assists, 11 points

Not as high scoring as before (other than Giroux), but it's not like they completely disappeared. They carried the team all year... they just didn't get any help when their production dipped a tiny bit.

So acting like the team suddenly fell apart when it mattered is pretty ridiculous. Most things were the same, outside of the things like injuries and the play of other teams.

Could the Flyers have played better? Yeah, of course, but the point is this "collapse" is nowhere near as dramatic as so many posts what to make it seem.

Mrazek was crap but so was the D. I'd love to know how many goals we allowed in those 18 games.

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
MacDonald had at least three horrendous blunders that I saw.

Anyone catch where he swung wildly and missed at an easy one-timer at the right point, then in a panic just flicked his blade at the puck and sped back in the other direction like his ass was on fire? :laugh:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Mrazek was crap but so was the D. I'd love to know how many goals we allowed in those 18 games.
In those 18 games, 63 goals, 3.50 GPG.

And yeah, we all know we have horrible defensemen, but SO MANY of the goals given up by Mrazek were inexcusable goals that simply can't be let in by an NHL goalie. When the D is that bad, you can't be whiffing on the easy saves. You have to at least give the team a chance to win... and he didn't do that.

As big of a piece of trash as Hakstol is, goaltending was our biggest issue down the stretch here. Hakstols been an idiot all year and they were able to overcome him... but the goalies are what really sunk the ship the last month and a half.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Just look at the numbers

It's all about the goalies:

since March 1
Flyers .886% - 57 GF/65 GA
Bjs - .912 - 72/51 (18g)
Devils - .917 - 57/49 (18g)
Florida - .929 - 62/46 (18g)

Jan-Feb

Elliott 7-2-0 229/258 .888
Neuvirth 5-2-2 259/283 .915
Lyon 2-1-0 88/98
Mrazek 3-0-0 72/76
648/715 .906 76 GF/65 GA 18-5-2 (missing a win in the goalie numbers?)

GF/GA
Jan-Feb 3.17/2.71
Mar-April 3.17/3.61

The only thing that changed was the goalies fell apart.
They weren't that good before the "collapse," but Mrazek and Lyon were awful in March.
With mediocre goalie play in March, we probably have 100+ points and are ahead of Pittsburgh.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
The same decisions that have been happening for the last two years. They're a constant. Saying it was a "collapse" implies that things were good, changed, and then became horrible.

The same problems existed all year, the difference is other teams got crazy hot.

I could buy it if the 10 game losing streak happened in the last 10 games of the year. THAT would be a collapse, but what actually happened doesn't qualify.

So you mentioned the TDL (or accurately, the day after) as the marker date. It's possible that the crazy hot the other teams experienced was due to modifications of the roster (since there were no coaching changes, that remains a constant.)

Collapse may be the wrong word, but with the Jackets & Devils (especially) locking in before the Flyers, squandered seems to fit. And that most fans could see the squandered opportunity approaching, extra ire is displayed because the coach embraced those squandering tactics (as you've alluded to, "The same problems existed all year,"). Also, the Flyers had been playing at an above .500 level prior to the TDL. Playing at a .500 level afterward is a step down, and it is easily recognizable that .500 hockey (by pts. %) doesn't (typically) make the playoffs.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
So you mentioned the TDL (or accurately, the day after) as the marker date. It's possible that the crazy hot the other teams experienced was due to modifications of the roster (since there were no coaching changes, that remains a constant.)

Collapse may be the wrong word, but with the Jackets & Devils (especially) locking in before the Flyers, squandered seems to fit. And that most fans could see the squandered opportunity approaching, extra ire is displayed because the coach embraced those squandering tactics (as you've alluded to, "The same problems existed all year,"). Also, the Flyers had been playing at an above .500 level prior to the TDL. Playing at a .500 level afterward is a step down, and it is easily recognizable that .500 hockey (by pts. %) doesn't (typically) make the playoffs.

Again, I know they didn't play great and I'm definitely not happy with the last 1.5 months. All I was saying was that there's been too many dramatic posts calling this a "historic collapse" and acting like that alone is reason enough for massive changes. It's an overreaction to a period of play that isn't as bad as it's been represented. If I only read this board and didn't follow the team, I'd expect them to have gone like 2-14-2 or something, based on the comments made on here.

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
Again, I know they didn't play great and I'm definitely not happy with the last 1.5 months. All I was saying was that there's been too many dramatic posts calling this a "historic collapse" and acting like that alone is reason enough for massive changes. It's an overreaction to a period of play that isn't as bad as it's been represented. If I only read this board and didn't follow the team, I'd expect them to have gone like 2-14-2 or something, based on the comments made on here.

Eh - in all fairness, it's part of this fanbase for better or worse. Coaches, players, etc all know this. We are loyal to a fault and expect a lot. We should expect a lot - we ALWAYS come out to games, we buy lots of merchandise and make the Flyers extremely profitable. If we expect to see a fiery team who competes night after night; so be it. Without the same passion that makes us so hard on the team, the franchise would not be as profitable. You can't pick and choose when we display our emotion; it doesn't work that way.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Eh - in all fairness, it's part of this fanbase for better or worse. Coaches, players, etc all know this. We are loyal to a fault and expect a lot. We should expect a lot - we ALWAYS come out to games, we buy lots of merchandise and make the Flyers extremely profitable. If we expect to see a fiery team who competes night after night; so be it. Without the same passion that makes us so hard on the team, the franchise would not be as profitable. You can't pick and choose when we display our emotion; it doesn't work that way.
Showing emotion doesn't require losing all perspective and making dramatic exaggerations.

I don't care if someone makes a 1000 word post of expletives, it's far more annoying to read constant fabrications for the sake of making things seem worse than they actually are.

We have enough legit things to complain about... no need to make new ones up out of thin air.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad