GDT: #81 - 04/07/16 | new york islanders @ NEW YORK RANGERS | 7:00 - MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

JanErixon20

Aug 7, 2007
It's hard not to get over it when watching Girardi and Boyle get minutes every night

Just hypothetically, can you give me like three in game playoff scenarios where you'd rather see Glass jump over the boards rather than Lindberg?

Something like the Rangers are tied, or down by one, or up by a goal?

1st, 2nd 3rd period?

If a forward in the top 9 is injured early in a game, Glass rather than Lindberg?

Like other than if a player on the other team is just running around being dirty or borderline dirty, and you want to send Glass out when he is out there to do whatever, I can not think of any in game situation where sending out Glass instead of Lindberg is a good strategic idea.

If they are down a goal in the third, I don't think you'd see much of Glass or Lindberg, in the playoffs. And if the NYR are depending on either of those guys in a playoff game, it's not going to be a long series.

Ok, sure. Just bc someone has "more talent" doesn't mean they deserve to play. Guys like nik zherdev are an example of that. He had all the raw talent on earth, but was a bum. But what has Oscar done to NOT play over Glass? He can play all over the line up. He can play wing, he can play center. Hes won 48% of his faceoffs while putting up 26 points in his rookie season. Not to mention when he was put with Kevin Hayes in the weeks before the deadline, Hayes played his best hockey of the year. They had a nice thing going and that was blown up b/c of the Eric Staal arrival. Lindberg is exactly the type of player you need in the playoffs, he give you tremendous versatility and a defensively responsible game. The organization needs him to continue to grow, he's a pretty important guy. He's EARNED the right to play.

I'm not blaming Glass for the rangers struggles this year either, but that doesn't make it a good choice.

The coach said it today...Lindberg doesn't play on the PK or the PP. And it seems you are arguing the wrong guy...it's more Fast over Lindberg then Glass.

I have a bigger problem also with the use of Dan Boyle this year.

I guess I'm wrong and everyone else is right but I don't think Tanner Glass has been bad for them since his return. I also think Lindberg has gone long stretches where he's been invisible.

KingStian

Jan 8, 2011
In the playoffs it doesn't matter who you face. If the team is good enough you'll have to face them and beat them eventually anyway if you want to lift the Cup in the end.

JanErixon20

Aug 7, 2007
If we're down a goal, thats fine. You shorten your bench. But in the event of an injury mid-game, Lindberg is a swiss army knife.

I trust OL more on the PK than I do Glass.

I agree on the Boyle point, AV said in Oct they would be monitoring his games, and they never did. AV doesn't trust McIllrath whatsoever. The only reason he's playing right now is b/c Diaz isn't healthy.

And again, it isn't about Glass being that bad, hes been what he is. Its about a better more valuable player sitting for him.

If Boyle plays out the season, not sure if he played the TB game or not, but if he did, and plays the last 2 games, that would be like 32 straight games he played in. I know the McIlrath injury factored in as well, but I'm sure he wasn't heard that entire stretch.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
If Boyle plays out the season, not sure if he played the TB game or not, but if he did, and plays the last 2 games, that would be like 32 straight games he played in. I know the McIlrath injury factored in as well, but I'm sure he wasn't heard that entire stretch.

McI was only out with the knee injury the last 3 weeks or so. AV just doesn't link McIllrath, just is what it is. I'd imagine he's moved this summer, unfortunately.

DudMan28

Jan 30, 2013
In the playoffs it doesn't matter who you face. If the team is good enough you'll have to face them and beat them eventually anyway if you want to lift the Cup in the end.

While I agree with this, it's looking like the top two teams in the East are Pitt and Washington. Would much rather only play one of them in the ECF, than both of them in rounds 1 & 2 (most likely). Also, McD is likely to be healthy if we make it that far. Need him to take our their gamebreakers in Ovi/Sid/Malkin. Also, a Pitt/Wash series would be a slugfest. Ill gladly play these two after they beat the crap out of each other for 7 games.

Florida is a good team too. You don't win division titles by accident. They won some big games down the stretch to claim that title too. They would be a tough out, but I like our chances against them.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
You can insert any enforcers name there. Joey Kocur was one of the most popular players in the locker in New York and Detroit. Guys loved having him on the team.

I'm not saying he's not a well liked guy, he clearly is. But that was 20 years ago. The game has passed those guys by.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
The Penguins overhype has reached epic proportions on this board. Lol

its not just pitt, you'd also be avoiding a 2nd round match up with the caps...whoever finishes 3rd in the division has to go thru the 4th and 1st overall teams just to get to the conference finals.

Doctor King Schultz

Garian Maborik
May 3, 2012
NYC

Yea but it's better to face the better teams after your injured players have returned to the lineup. I don't mind the Pens in the Conference Finals nearly as much as I do in the first round (and that's even considering that their injured players could be back too).

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I agree the other players may like Glass, maybe they even root for the underdog, whatever. In the regular season it's a grind, players have different personalities, origins, maybe he helps keep some of their heads screwed on straight.

In the playoffs it's a 7 game series, everything on ice matter so much more including the smaller stuff. The other players are not going to be dogging it, they are not going to need Glass to keep things light in between periods, but they are eventually going to need to use the 4th line.

The other team is going to be able to match-up their better players against that line at times. That line is also going to ice the puck here and there.

Strategically on ice, I just can not figure it out. Lindberg has at least plausible odds of maybe scoring a goal or adding an assist, plausible the 4th line actually can play more like 12 minutes a night with him on it need be. Plausible he could adequately replace an injured forward in game higher up the depth chart need be.

It's just crazy, unless the other team has some 4th liner who is going to run around and the Rangers can use Glass to match-up the running around and even then I am not so sure that strategy really works to quell the other teams guy.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

100% false. Most of the time, having a deep run means playing at least one opponent with whom you matchup favorably. We've had our share of them.

Conversely, the Lightning made the finals last year because they matched up pretty favorably against us and the Kings won the Cup in 2014 for the same reason.

Jun 25, 2013
www.tannerglassisthebest.com
But that can't be your only function. The game has moved on from that. You actually need to know how to play with the puck and away from it which by the way escapes Glass.

In any case, I'd better make a Tanner Glass thread so this doesn't get clogged up. :laugh:
Yeah that's why i stopped. Don't want to piss of the Mods :laugh: (again).

Tonight i honestly don't know what to expect. Are both teams going to try for the W? Or are they going to "try" to win but be ok if they lose :laugh:

KOVALEV022473

Feb 24, 2014
Tomkins Cove, NY
its not just pitt, you'd also be avoiding a 2nd round match up with the caps...whoever finishes 3rd in the division has to go thru the 4th and 1st overall teams just to get to the conference finals.

I understand the road is difficult. However, there is a chance, as slim as it may be, the Caps get knocked off, and then it doesn't matter. My comment was reserved for those of whom laude the pens as the second coming of '76 Canadiens!

*Bob Richards*

We're going to have to play the good teams eventually so **** it. Beat the Isles tonight please.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
You always have that dragon to slave in the Playoffs.
wut :laugh:

I understand the road is difficult. However, there is a chance, as slim as it may be, the Caps get knocked off, and then it doesn't matter. My comment was reserved for those of whom laude the pens as the second coming of '76 Canadiens!
They probably won't win the Cup but they're at worst the 2nd best team in the East.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
I'd be cool with Glass playing if he didn't suck at mostly everything, like offense and defense, for example.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
We're going to have to play the good teams eventually so **** it. Beat the Isles tonight please.

I'd rather not be beat up and worn down by the 3rd round. Play the easier, softer teams first.

Last 2 years we have been completely worn down by the 3rd rounds.

Ratelleitlikeitis

Apr 7, 2011
Guelph
5 billion years into the future. Life on planet Earth is gone. The oceans have dried up. It remains a barren husk soon to be consumed by the nuclear hell fire of the expanding sun.

Tanner Glass is still penciled into the 4th line LW spot.

"And the meek shall inherit the Earth". Your description reminded me of Rush's 2112 which just celebrated its 40th anniversary. :yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad