GDT: #81 - 04/07/16 | new york islanders @ NEW YORK RANGERS | 7:00 - MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
For the most part since his return, Glass has been a very serviceable player who will stand up for his teammates without thinking twice. People still complaining about him should get over it already.

It's hard not to get over it when watching Girardi and Boyle get minutes every night

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
For the most part since his return, Glass has been a very serviceable player who will stand up for his teammates without thinking twice. People still complaining about him should get over it already.

Just hypothetically, can you give me like three in game playoff scenarios where you'd rather see Glass jump over the boards rather than Lindberg?

Something like the Rangers are tied, or down by one, or up by a goal?

1st, 2nd 3rd period?

If a forward in the top 9 is injured early in a game, Glass rather than Lindberg?

Like other than if a player on the other team is just running around being dirty or borderline dirty, and you want to send Glass out when he is out there to do whatever, I can not think of any in game situation where sending out Glass instead of Lindberg is a good strategic idea.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Because Philadelphia lost last night, the strategy of losing on purpose is basically pointless.

An Islander win tonight guarantees the Islanders finish no worse than WC1, but they do not pass the Rangers because the Rangers will win the tiebreak on ROW.

That means even if the Rangers lose against Detroit, all the Islanders have to do is fail to show up against Buffalo (kids want to win) and Philadelphia (may need the game) and they finish in the WC1 spot even in a tie with the Rangers.

So losing does nothing to help the Rangers but assures the the Islanders WC1.

All that said, two PLAYOFF teams that better themselves by LOSING, proves the NHL scheduling and playoff structure is incredibly faulty.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
If they're a very very very good team than the nyr are easily a very very good team.
They're really not. At least, they don't play like it. Goaltending and offensive skill have been the story for the last 2 seasons. The Penguins are better in every area except goaltending.

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
Because Philadelphia lost last night, the strategy of losing on purpose is basically pointless.

An Islander win tonight guarantees the Islanders finish no worse than WC1, but they do not pass the Rangers because the Rangers will win the tiebreak on ROW.

That means even if the Rangers lose against Detroit, all the Islanders have to do is fail to show up against Buffalo (kids want to win) and Philadelphia (may need the game) and they finish in the WC1 spot even in a tie with the Rangers.

So losing does nothing to help the Rangers but assures the the Islanders WC1.

All that said, two PLAYOFF teams that better themselves by LOSING, proves the NHL scheduling and playoff structure is incredibly faulty
it is and it's a shame. I was always a big fan of the 1-8 conference seeding in addition to this mess. Hell, one conference has two more teams than the other, that in itself is a huge fail

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest

Why should fans just get over it? Of course a player that actively hurts the team is going to be on the fans' **** list.

By almost any measure, Tanner Glass is not only bad, but the worst player in the entire NHL that receives regular ice time. And he hasn't been serviceable since his call up, so I strongly disagree there.

It's frustrating watching better players get benched for this plug. If AV wanted to deploy Glass only against heavier, grittier teams, or, if a player needed a fire lit under their ass, I would be fine with it. That would probably only amount to 25 or so games a season, not the usage he's currently getting. Having Lindberg and Hayes taking turns sitting while Glass is allowed to lose his man for a goal, then take a major on a cheapshot late hit in the same game, is infuriating. There's zero accountability.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
They're really not. At least, they don't play like it. Goaltending and offensive skill have been the story for the last 2 seasons. The Penguins are better in every area except goaltending.

agreed, and even though we have the advantage in goaltending, i dont think its even remotely big enough (of an advantage) to offset all the other differences. I think if the rangers play the pens in the first round we'll be lucky to win 1 game.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
agreed, and even though we have the advantage in goaltending, i dont think its even remotely big enough (of an advantage) to offset all the other differences. I think if the rangers play the pens in the first round we'll be lucky to win 1 game.
I think if they play Pittsburgh, Game 1 is a must win situation. (Yes I know that sounds stupid)

BarbaraAlphanse

I think if they play Pittsburgh, Game 1 is a must win situation. (Yes I know that sounds stupid)

Basically, I view us heading into this post season as I viewed the Hawks last year.

Doctor King Schultz

Garian Maborik
May 3, 2012
NYC

It's close to when we played them in 2014 except the Rangers are much worse now than we were then. I fully expect us to go down 3 games to 1 after four games.

BarbaraAlphanse

as cup favorites?

They were far from cup favorites last year. Finished 3rd in their division. Stumbled into the playoffs.

Had a goalie controversy. They were starting a journey man lifetime AHL goalie for a period.

Rosival sustained a playoff ending injury early, forcing them to play 2 pairings, pretty much, for 3-4 series.

Kane hadn't played in 8 weeks. No one knew the physical abilities he'd come to play with.

Let's not have revisionist history.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY

While I agree that the topic is beaten to a pulp, I dont think a fan base should ever "get over" a coach sitting a superior player for an inferior one. His job is to play the best players available to him, and Glass over Oscar is a criminal failure of that responsibility.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
While I agree that the topic is beaten to a pulp, I dont think a fan base should ever "get over" a coach sitting a superior player for an inferior one. His job is to play the best players available to him, and Glass over Oscar is a criminal failure of that responsibility.

Yup, we should expect our coach to put the best possible lineup on the ice for the playoffs. It doesn't matter if he's "just a 4th liner," there is a superior player sitting in the press box. Glass is a liability. Him being "serviceable" this season isn't even true, sure he's been a little bit better than last year, but he's still a disaster of a hockey player and he's a detriment to the team when he's out there.

AV for whatever reason, believe's Glass' inclusion on the 4th line is what makes it tick. Despite the fact that the 4th line only got better when Stalberg got moved to it, allowing D.Moore and Stalberg to Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid their way around their shifts while dragging Glass along. He is a hindrance, however AV sees him like the straw that stirs the drink.

And no, Av doesn't get the benefit of the doubt because he's the one who's an NHL coach.

JanErixon20

Aug 7, 2007
Why should fans just get over it? Of course a player that actively hurts the team is going to be on the fans' **** list.

By almost any measure, Tanner Glass is not only bad, but the worst player in the entire NHL that receives regular ice time. And he hasn't been serviceable since his call up, so I strongly disagree there.

It's frustrating watching better players get benched for this plug. If AV wanted to deploy Glass only against heavier, grittier teams, or, if a player needed a fire lit under their ass, I would be fine with it. That would probably only amount to 25 or so games a season, not the usage he's currently getting. Having Lindberg and Hayes taking turns sitting while Glass is allowed to lose his man for a goal, then take a major on a cheapshot late hit in the same game, is infuriating. There's zero accountability.

If you don't think Glass has been serviceable since his return, I don't know what to tell you. He's a 4th line player doing his job. Look, I'm not a fan of him or the signing, but I'm being fair....he's not a big problem to this team. Kevin Hayes, who is going to be a big part of this team going forward, has done more harm this year to the Rangers then Tanner Glass. Oscar Lindberg had a nice start to the year. Fine and dandy. He's been nonexistent long stretches at a time...other then taking bad penalties. Are they better players then Glass? Sure. Have they earned their ice time? Debatable.

Tanner Glass is not the Rangers problem this year. Far from it.

Major cheapshot? Please.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
we should all want them to win.

if Pittsburgh is this world beating team that will stomp everything in their way then we will have to play them eventually. No point in hoping to play someone else.

better to go into the playoffs with some confidence.

Pfranz94

Jan 16, 2014
New York
Probably the first time ever that a loss to this team won't feel like the end if the world :laugh: . Will probably be keeping an eye on the Boston detroit game as well. Who are you guys rooting for in that one?

JanErixon20

Aug 7, 2007

Just because they have more talent doesn't mean they deserve to play.

I hate to defend Glass here but he's far from what's wrong with the Rangers this year. I have a bigger issue with AV sending out Stepan for defensive zone faceoffs late in important games.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Just because they have more talent doesn't mean they deserve to play.

I hate to defend Glass here but he's far from what's wrong with the Rangers this year. I have a bigger issue with AV sending out Stepan for defensive zone faceoffs late in important games.

Ok, sure. Just bc someone has "more talent" doesn't mean they deserve to play. Guys like nik zherdev are an example of that. He had all the raw talent on earth, but was a bum. But what has Oscar done to NOT play over Glass? He can play all over the line up. He can play wing, he can play center. Hes won 48% of his faceoffs while putting up 26 points in his rookie season. Not to mention when he was put with Kevin Hayes in the weeks before the deadline, Hayes played his best hockey of the year. They had a nice thing going and that was blown up b/c of the Eric Staal arrival. Lindberg is exactly the type of player you need in the playoffs, he give you tremendous versatility and a defensively responsible game. The organization needs him to continue to grow, he's a pretty important guy. He's EARNED the right to play.

I'm not blaming Glass for the rangers struggles this year either, but that doesn't make it a good choice.

KOVALEV022473

Feb 24, 2014
Tomkins Cove, NY
we should all want them to win.

if Pittsburgh is this world beating team that will stomp everything in their way then we will have to play them eventually. No point in hoping to play someone else.

better to go into the playoffs with some confidence.
The Penguins overhype has reached epic proportions on this board. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad