OT: 80th Obsequious Banter Thread: Do You Believe In Miracles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
If you're going to go that far then you should also get a new case to put it all in, and a new monitor so that everything looks shiny. Maybe new cables too, just to make sure that all the current gets where it's supposed to go in a timely fashion.

Should probably put in a hardwood floor and touch up the paint, too.

I've been on this train too. My system is running at around 7 years. I don't need an upgrade, but there's a good chance my storage HDD is going to start failing soon. And it would be nice to have a faster processor. Case and power supply are fine, and I would actually take the opportunity to fix how some of the internals are arranged. Since I don't game anymore, I don't need a new GPU. But I'm stuck on what to do about an OS, because I despise W10 and kind of need to stick with a windows system for some of the software I use. I'm sure there are linux alternatives, I just need to make a list of what I need to download.

The hassle of making this work is probably going to be more of a chore than dealing with an OS you hate.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Speaking of hardwood floor and touching up paint I started reaching out to contractors regarding finishing my basement and sheeesh the spread of prices we’ve gotten.

You are lucky they even came to give estimates....my kitchen remodel was like planning a trip to Mars. Wasn't easy finding a contractor and then when I found one I was pretty much at their mercy...even with a contract. Big projects are pain especially during the holidays and a pandemic. A 3 week job took four months for various reasons...

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
You are lucky they even came to give estimates....my kitchen remodel was like planning a trip to Mars. Wasn't easy finding a contractor and then when I found one I was pretty much at their mercy...even with a contract. Big projects are pain especially during the holidays and a pandemic. A 3 week job took four months for various reasons...

I was lucky. Got my concrete work and HVAC done, no timing issues whatsoever.

ajgoal

Jun 29, 2015
The hassle of making this work is probably going to be more of a chore than dealing with an OS you hate.

Maybe, maybe not. Once I'm finished with my degree, my need for some of that stuff will go down. I think my biggest hangup will be leaving Office.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
It’s been fairly easy thus far but I know at least of them is booked through May so it’s going to be a super long process regardless.

Late last week we reached out to five contractors and all but one of them have been out to our house already with one actually coming twice. The last one is coming Monday.

We got one fairly formal quote and then just other ballpark ones. I’m just amazed at the spread of prices. You have one guy saying he can do something elaborate that we showed him for X and then someone else that says that something basic will cost X+$15k.

Reactions: Carter Hart

ajgoal

Jun 29, 2015
This rules. Sailing rules.

Yeah, I (re)caught the bug about 5 years ago, and broke down and bought a smaller cruising sailer back in October. I've been going back and forth on whether I want to sail it down the coast and up to Philly, or just pay to have someone truck it across the state. Certainly fewer logistics to having it hauled. But more expensive and less fun.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Yeah, I (re)caught the bug about 5 years ago, and broke down and bought a smaller cruising sailer back in October. I've been going back and forth on whether I want to sail it down the coast and up to Philly, or just pay to have someone truck it across the state. Certainly fewer logistics to having it hauled. But more expensive and less fun.

We took a sunset cruise on a beautiful Italian sailboat built in the 50s, down in USVI. The captain had us doing minor tasks and also let everyone have a hand at the wheel. My only thought the whole time was "remember, this is way too expensive." I loved it. Check out the Aubrey/Maturin novels, those are practically made for sailing enthusiasts.

The other people who were supposed to come along paid and then never showed up. It was just me, the wife, and a former mayor of Austin and his daughter. Looked the dude up after, while he was mayor someone was being a dick at a party he threw so he beat dick up. I liked him. Clouds killed the sunset but it didn't matter.

The ship was destroyed and the captain killed during Hurricane Maria, so that's a bummer.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
It’s been fairly easy thus far but I know at least of them is booked through May so it’s going to be a super long process regardless.

Late last week we reached out to five contractors and all but one of them have been out to our house already with one actually coming twice. The last one is coming Monday.

We got one fairly formal quote and then just other ballpark ones. I’m just amazed at the spread of prices. You have one guy saying he can do something elaborate that we showed him for X and then someone else that says that something basic will cost X+$15k.
For the 3 contractors that came...1 was ridiculous to the point that it seemed they didn't want the job....the middle one was ok with their quote and who I went with but they played a lot of games with overages and the lowest was actually a handy man type who supposedly was good and recommended but he left me hanging. The middle GC did a pretty good job but they certainly made me pay for everything I got. A bit annoyed still at some of their business practices.....not sure I will have them do more work or recommend because of those practices and not so much the work. But they took the job and did come back 4x because of various material delays.

Reactions: Lord Defect

ajgoal

Jun 29, 2015
We took a sunset cruise on a beautiful Italian sailboat built in the 50s, down in USVI. The captain had us doing minor tasks and also let everyone have a hand at the wheel. My only thought the whole time was "remember, this is way too expensive." I loved it. Check out the Aubrey/Maturin novels, those are practically made for sailing enthusiasts.

The other people who were supposed to come along paid and then never showed up. It was just me, the wife, and a former mayor of Austin and his daughter. Looked the dude up after, while he was mayor someone was being a dick at a party he threw so he beat dick up. I liked him. Clouds killed the sunset but it didn't matter.

The ship was destroyed and the captain killed during Hurricane Maria, so that's a bummer.

I learned how to sail at the Coast Guard Academy, sailed on the Eagle for a week, loved it. Then I didn't sail for almost 20 years. Got back on boats a couple of years ago after doing a sunset cruise around the Na Pali Coast in Kaua'i. Did some races on the Chesapeake last year, and when I saw the one I bought for sale, she was in good shape and at a good price. Been really looking forward to the spring so I can get out on the water.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

So with two doses I’ll be this?
LsJTOc1.gif

I’m going to go ahead & hold them to that.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
I was involved in a minor work email faux pas this week with an unruly customer. I simply said to a coworker "Boy I'd like to add some choice words to this but they just talked about that in the last meeting." Of course my dumb old coworker continues the same email chain and copies the guy in. Perhaps he didn't read the history below or just didn't care but I was a little worried. Then this local news story hit today and I feel SO much better I'm not this guy.

image0-12.jpg

ajgoal

Jun 29, 2015
I was involved in a minor work email faux pas this week with an unruly customer. I simply said to a coworker "Boy I'd like to add some choice words to this but they just talked about that in the last meeting." Of course my dumb old coworker continues the same email chain and copies the guy in. Perhaps he didn't read the history below or just didn't care but I was a little worried. Then this local news story hit today and I feel SO much better I'm not this guy.

View attachment 400836

I was once told a story about an interoffice romance at a previous place of employment, where the two individuals involved were responsible for writing and reviewing reports for each other. They would insert steamy passages about plans they had for each other into the reports and then send them back. After reading it, the other would delete the passage.

Until one time one of them didn't.

And sent the report to the client.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad