GDT: #8| Carolina Hurricanes @ NY Islanders| October 19 | 7PM |Passenger Edition!| F/L 4-3

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Passenger Edition!!!

6rxo.jpg

qigk.jpg

Preview

The margin of error has been very slight for the New York Islanders and Carolina Hurricanes so far this season.

John Tavares looks to extend his point streak while helping the Islanders make things a bit easier on themselves Saturday night against the visiting Hurricanes.

New York (3-2-2) and Carolina (3-2-3) are among five teams that have played in a league-high six one-goal games already this season.

The Islanders are 2-2-2 in those contests, and Tavares delivered the latest victory by rallying them with a goal and an assist in Thursday's 3-2 win over Edmonton.

The 23-year-old center leads the team with four goals and nine points, and that's all come during a six-game point streak -- his longest since a 12-game run Dec. 29, 2011-Jan. 21, 2012.

Tavares has three goals and four assists in four home games, and that surge may only continue against the Hurricanes. He has 12 goals and eight assists in 15 career meetings, but 18 of those 20 points have come during an eight-game streak in the series.

Carolina, though, swept all three meetings last season, winning twice at Nassau Coliseum.

Eric Staal is looking to continue his strong stretch after scoring a goal against the Maple Leafs, giving him all five of his points this season over the past six games. The center's three goals tie him with Nathan Gerbe for the team lead, and he's totaled 21 goals and 14 assists in 34 career meetings with the Islanders. He's averaging a point in 18 games on Long Island, registering nine in his past six visits.

Alexander Semin has also thrived against the Islanders, scoring three goals and assisting on four others in three meetings last season -- his first with the Hurricanes. The right wing totaled three points in each of the two road matchups.

Perhaps starting Evgeni Nabokov in net could help the Islanders beat Carolina for the first time since a 4-3 home victory Feb. 18, 2012.

Nabokov, who had 27 saves Thursday, is 8-1-2 with a 2.11 goals-against average and a shutout in 12 career games versus the Hurricanes. He had 32 stops in a 2-1 overtime victory in his only meeting at the Coliseum on Jan. 21, 2012.

Useful links
http://www2.dailyfaceoff.com/

http://www.tsn.ca/

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/islanders/

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/islanders/

http://www.nypost.com/sports/islanders/islanders.htm

http://islanders.nhl.com/team/app/

http://www.islesinfo.com/main.html

Deftones featuring Maynard - Passenger

Last edited:

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
Nice GDT MM.

This is an important game momentum wise. The Devil, Ranger and Flyer fans think their season is over (of course not true), but now with Callahan out several weeks with a broken thumb, it's like having Tavares, Bailey and Grabner out (Nash and Hagelin out too, Hagelin approved for contact). The long road trip isn't helping them. I think they'll rebound and still have a shot, the Devs and Flyers not as much.

A victory puts us in 2nd and more distance away from the pack. Ward is always tough against us and it will not be an easy game.

Have to continue the strong possession game and shot barrage.

If Nelson isn't going to play (mistake) send him down to keep sharp.

Poulin will get in a game soon if not tmrw night.

7-0-3 last 10 at home. Huge difference from midway through last year. Keep it going boys.

4-2 Isles

CaptDenisPotvin

The Tampa Bay Astros are your 2021 Champions
Jun 20, 2007
Unfortunately I can see this being our lineup for a while now. Bouchard seems to work ok on the 2nd line, KO hasn't played great but is chipping in on the 1st line and our 4th line might be one of the best 4th lines in the conference. Nelson should be sent down if he's not going to see the ice anymore. On the other hand I would really like us to try to sure up the defensive issues in-house with Griffin Reinhart.

Islanders: 4-3

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
nice work MM!

Carolina scares me. they have the Staals, Semin, Ward, Skinner. never know what to expect. gotta play every game like it's PO's.

4-2 Isles.

Words Of Wisdom

Truth Speaker
Oct 20, 2011
Long Island.
Nice GDT! Gotta come out strong on this team. Carolina has a lot of offensive power, and with our defense... That scares me. Let's go Isles though! Let's get a win!

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
this is a very winnable game. hopefully the isles come out firing and dont let up. debating on going to the game, tickets are pretty cheap and i really have no other plans for tomorrow. more than likely ill wind up going

ML19

Nov 21, 2011
Long Island
Nice GDT Matty Marts

Can't wait for this game. I hate to make up scenarios but if the Penguins lose and Isles win we're only 2 points out of first. Considering our 3rd period collapses I'd feel pretty good about only being 2 out from the P penguins after 8 games.

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
Nice GDT, but Hickey has definitely not been a passenger lately

Big divisional game tonight! Meet me at the Lighthouse...err...Coliseum parking lot.

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
I will "third" the comment about Hickey. He has looked pretty darn good for the most part this season. Donovan has not looked as good as Hickey, yet guys clamor for him in the lineup while they want Hickey to sit. For the record, I don't want Donovan to sit either. I think they both are young players who need to develop further, and, to do so, they need to play.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
One of these days.... POW right in the kisser!

Edit, sadly... there are only a handful of you that might understand that.

First we must step up, plant our feet firmly and address the puck.

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
I will "third" the comment about Hickey. He has looked pretty darn good for the most part this season. Donovan has not looked as good as Hickey, yet guys clamor for him in the lineup while they want Hickey to sit. For the record, I don't want Donovan to sit either. I think they both are young players who need to develop further, and, to do so, they need to play.

Donovan and Hickey are different type of dman. Donovan is an offensive defenseman and looks MUCH better than Hickey in that area. Hickey is a defensive defenseman, which is surprising considering his size. Hickey is also playing with Visnovsky who's pretty awesome, people tend to forget that part.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
One of these days.... POW right in the kisser!

Edit, sadly... there are only a handful of you that might understand that.

First we must step up, plant our feet firmly and address the puck.

Bang, Zoom, funniest show ever.
Going to serve Kram mars delicious mystery appetizer as a snack tonight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad