GDT: #8| Carolina Hurricanes @ NY Islanders| October 19 | 7PM |Passenger Edition!| F/L 4-3

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
Sluggish. Perfect word to describe how this team played in periods 1 & 2 tonight.

Like it does so many times, our pathetic PP just sucked the energy out of the game early and Carolina took over after that. The structure of it sucks, Johnny tries to be too fancy, KO has been bumbling the puck like a hot potato all year, and to top it off our best Dman/PP QB goes down.

Not a good night.

...Oh yea and AMac was terrible again, how could I forget lol. It blows my mind that he's on the ice more than anyone else. Cappy's love affair with this guy has to end soon, it's just getting ridiculous now. Even with Vis hurt, there is no need for him to play that much.

On the bright side, Zeeker is a gem, Hammer is playing with confidence and PMB is actually looking good.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
We would be a playoff team if we had a head coach who wasn't a complet ****ing moron.

Been saying this for a couple years. He's terrible. No feel for the games and I feel the team's general sloppiness is a direct result of him not being more of a disciplinarian with them.

They need someone that will hold them more accountable and work their laziness and sloppiness out.

That's not Flintstone, IMO.

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
It blows my mind how everyone says Amac sucks when he plays 30:25 minutes in a game, he's going to make mistakes. He's not a top pairing dman, not his fault. You people LOVE Hickey, but he played 16:16 minutes, of course he will make less mistakes especially since he doesn't play against the top lines. Cmon people.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
It blows my mind how everyone says Amac sucks when he plays 30:25 minutes in a game, he's going to make mistakes. He's not a top pairing dman, not his fault. You people LOVE Hickey, but he played 16:16 minutes, of course he will make less mistakes especially since he doesn't play against the top lines. Cmon people.
Hamonic and JT can do no wrong but the roll players get trashed for every mistake.

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
Hamonic and JT can do no wrong but the roll players get trashed for every mistake.

A lot of people complain about Hamonic. JT, not really. Just look at the poll votes, how the hell does Tavares have any votes. He didn't play well at all last night. I'm pretty hard on Tavares because I expect a lot from him.

JTforPres2012

Feb 12, 2012
JT said it in his post-game interview, "The team comes out flat and I don't know why."

I just feel like Cap never has that jump in his step to motivate the boys. I'm not saying Weight is the answer or even to fire Cap, but at least we've seen Dougie really rip into these guys here and there...Cap just doesn't seem capable of doing such a thing.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
1. The team did not play 60 minutes to the best of their capacity. We are not talented enough to beat teams playing less than 100%.

2. We have very few very good players, or good players. We have more bottom pairing and bottom 6 players than real top 6 players.

3. Our best players did not play their best. Bailey, Okposo, Grabner did not play up to the full abilities, neither did JT who threw away a lot of passes and had only 2 shots on goal. Frans was probably as good as he could be, but we need a greater effort from the other good-very good forwards. Can say we are asking too much for JT and a few others to carry the team, but there is no other choice if we want to win.

4. There is no good on our defense or goaltending. Hammer is an Island alone and he suffers by it. He can not do much more than he is doing, he is not Bobby Orr.

The forward lines have to be arranged for maximum effectiveness to what ever level that is. That means using the best players we have, rookies or not. You are better than the guy skating, you take his place (Nelson, Donovan, Strome). Out with the zombies.

This coaching staff better come up with an althernative zone entry because carrying it in all the time is being prescouted and shut down. Need to alternate chip and charge.
The team has to be playing every shift and every game at 100% or the offenders sit out shifts or games.

This better be turned around RIGHT NOW.

Stercrazy

Jul 4, 2007
Cap is responsible for getting the team ready. So far in this early season I don't think Cap has done that. Not sure who can replace him but a better coach would help.

Hipietro

Sep 3, 2006
Long Island
Exposed Carkner* because he had to play more minutes than expected. Shouldn't have even been out there.

Exactly. This is the point I was making before.

When you go down to five D because of injury and Carkner is one of them, you're pretty much down to four. The guy simply can't play big minutes, and it cost us big time.

I'm interested to see if Crappy will actually learn from his mistake for the next game, considering his roster move gave Carolina their winning goal.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Too little too late. If they could have brought the 3rd period performance even 10 minutes earlier, they get at least a point out of this one. For the first 30 minutes, they looked very much to be on their way to being shut out.

Losing Visnovsky could hurt, but it'll be a great chance for Hickey and Donovan to show if they can bring what he brings. I feel Hickey has been looking very, very good from a technical standpoint. He's trying to make things happen and gets along in his own zone well enough considering the disadvantage his size brings about.

Bouchard is starting to look a wee bit better and more involved. Still hoping we'll be seeing more out of Regin and Clutterbuck, who I think are still a good 25-35% off of their top form.

I actually felt Carkner did what he can, sometimes doing a few good things with the puck. It's obvious the man cannot skate - we know that. Expecting him to somehow play like an 'NHLer' is expecting too much. He's there solely to intimidate and not hurt the team too much while on the ice. That's his profile. If he has any other deficencies you don't like, complain to Snow for even bringing him in.

Lots of little stickhandling problems tonight. Ashame, the team might as well have scored 7 or 8 goals if they had kept the offensive zone fumbles down a good bit.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
I don't see Hickey being an offensive threat. He takes a lot of shots yet he only has 11 shots on goal. He just doesn't have the same offensive vision as Donovan to be able to find those shooting lanes. That's why he's not used on the PP. He seems like a lot of flash & dash with no substance. I'm guessing he will be paired with Carkner while Vis is out and that could be an ugly, Mutt & Jeff, third pairing.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
I don't see Hickey being an offensive threat. He takes a lot of shots yet he only has 11 shots on goal. He just doesn't have the same offensive vision as Donovan to be able to find those shooting lanes. That's why he's not used on the PP. He seems like a lot of flash & dash with no substance. I'm guessing he will be paired with Carkner while Vis is out and that could be an ugly, Mutt & Jeff, third pairing.

Hickey....I gotta agree with Chapin. It's like KJ and Martinek. YOU HAVE THE ABILITY TO PLAY OFFENSE....but you temper it. Hickey takes fewer risks to establish a better defensive effort. Martinek took more. KJ took only sure things for almost his whole career. Hickey has to show a little more guts like HAMONIC IS NOW DOING, but with the wisdom of when and why....meaning late games and when playing a more easily controllable opponent.

But I like his game. All around, with potential. Just wish he had size.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Hickey....I gotta agree with Chapin. It's like KJ and Martinek. YOU HAVE THE ABILITY TO PLAY OFFENSE....but you temper it. Hickey takes fewer risks to establish a better defensive effort. Martinek took more. KJ took only sure things for almost his whole career. Hickey has to show a little more guts like HAMONIC IS NOW DOING, but with the wisdom of when and why....meaning late games and when playing a more easily controllable opponent.

He looked like he took a lot of chances in last nights game with nothing to show for it. He's a great skater and has above average stick handling ability but his shooting is weak.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
He looked like he took a lot of chances in last nights game with nothing to show for it. He's a great skater and has above average stick handling ability but his shooting is weak.
Yeah, he needs to skate better/smarter and avoid traffic and get a better shot off...but he does create chances well. The potential is there, thankfully.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina

He would not have been put on waivers had he had size.

Hickey needs a dman that's good in the corners and clearing the crease so he can play his game. Sometimes him and Vis just get destroyed in the corners due to size.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
He would not have been put on waivers had he had size.

Hickey needs a dman that's good in the corners and clearing the crease so he can play his game. Sometimes him and Vis just get destroyed in the corners due to size.
He could have Carkner as his partner Tuesday. We'll see how that goes.:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad