Player Discussion #8 - Ben Chiarot: Swing Low, Sweet Chiarot

Status
Not open for further replies.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
His defensive game hasn't been that good, but he's been surprisingly pretty solid offensively.

Yeah, I don't think chiarot is playing his best right now. He had a sluggish start to the regular season as well. He seems like one of those guys who takes a little time to get to get going.

From limited viewing, I liked him from his time in Winnipeg, but was discouraged from what I was reading here when he got signed. It turns out that I still like him, and he actually has a better set of tools than I even thought.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017

Chiarot addresses the media via Zoom on Thursday morning (20/08/06), from the NHL bubble in Toronto:

“It’s something I take seriously. Being relied on to shut a game down is a big responsibility. I try to take pride in what I’m doing. … Obviously, with the amount of dangerous players they've, we've to be super aware of what’s going on around you. Desperation is the best word to describe it. We're doing everything we've to do, laying your body on the line, to make sure we win.”

“The mood hasn't changed at all. The job isn't done. We've to win three games. I wouldn't say we feel any different than we did after our first win. We're feeling good and positive and we've built some belief on our team, but we try to keep that even-keel as everyone says during the playoffs. We've to have three wins and the job's not done so we're still a focused group.”

“We’re definitely aware when Malkin’s on the ice or Crosby’s on the ice and we try and limit their chances and take their space away as quick as possible. But they’re world-class players and they’re going to get their opportunities, and that’s when Price steps in and does what he’s been doing for us. It’s five of us out there working together, playing defence and we’re just trying to keep it as tight as possible when those guys are on the ice.”

“Danault is so important to our team. He generates offence and plays well defensively. He takes the big faceoffs against the best players in the world.”

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Yea the Alzner comparison never made sense.
They are both big players that signed a contract with the habs as a ufa, and thats where the comparison stops.

Reactions: Dutronc

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
He crushed Giroux (I believe)behind the net on the PK.

The way the hit took place bet the player wasn't expecting it and felt it. I wish we had a forward who could hit like that.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Yea the Alzner comparison never made sense.
They are both big players that signed a contract with the habs as a ufa, and thats where the comparison stops.
The difference was. Caps fan main board were happy to see Alzner leave. Winnipeg main board werent happy to see Chiarot leave, but most of them thought it was paid too much. Imo, hes not paid too much for what he brings. They were juste use too have a big d corp with buf, myer, trouba... and they didnt realize the real impact of chiarot imo

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#Chiarot-PressConference(20/08/14)

“Me and Weber, being physical is a big strengh. We can play physical game. And in the playoffs it's so important to put our opponents down over the course of a series. So that's something we're tryna use.”

“I wouldn't we really used the same approach as Game 1 (2nd period). Game 1 is Game 1... We moved on the next game... We knew when we're skating and playing up and down the ice that we can play with everybody. That was our focus tonight.”

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#Chiarot-PressConference(20/08/20)

“Every games are important. I don’t think you want to be thinking about going after this guy or this guy in playoff games. In the playoffs, getting the win is more important than anything physically that you can do in the game.”

“It looks like a cross-check to the face - an unsuspecting guy - Gally is in the corner battling for the puck, turns around and gets a mouthful of Niskanen's stick - that's how I saw it.”

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#Muller-PressConference:Chiarot(20/08/20)
“He had his best hockey of the year. He was a force right here, physically. He's taken that same physical part of his game in these playoffs. One of the hardest pairings to play against with his size and how physical his playing. He's playing great hockey. He's been a great addition and a big part. Playing against top player. Real great contribution to our hockey team.”

Reactions: Deebs

expy

Nov 2, 2010
Not a fan of Chiarot in the Playoffs. Did more harm than good.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Had an solid season and a very good playoff. Terrific value for what he brings to the table.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Many teams would take him in their top 4 at the moment, that’s for sure.
I'm kind of hungry, so I'll eat some crow now.

I have been thinking of him as a #5 all year. These playoffs have proven me wrong. He's an excellent top 4 guy. With the right partner (Weber), he can survive on a top pairing and even look good. He's a complementary guy, but when you find the right complement, he can look great. I may get flack, but I'd compare him to Komisarek in that way. I don't mean it as a knock on him. It's a weird pairing since they're kind of similar styles - I expected different styles to mesh better - but he's looked good next to Weber.

Hopefully Romanov can take some quick strides. I see him as in the same kind of mould, but a better skater, with better offensive instincts.

Reactions: True Tick and Tin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad