Player Discussion #8 - Ben Chiarot: Swing Low, Sweet Chiarot

Status
Not open for further replies.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Meanwhile, Gardiner has been brutal for Carolina.

Where are all of those off-season analytics worshippers now lol?
I remember posting some anaytics about him.

He had good analytics if... you don't know how too look at them because he had the easiest opposition for the TO Ds. So he was great... yes, but for a 3rd paring D.

I was against the Habs getting him.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
As usual for this place, the same old suspects, desperate to grind an axe against Bergevin didn't let the fact that they knew nothing about Chariot's game stop them from offering their "expert" opinion on him and wrote him off as over paid and a lousy signing before he'd ever even suited up.

They do it again and again and never learn.

As usual, now that he's playing well, they have all gone silent as if we can't just go back and look at the silly things they said without so much as a clue what they were talking about.

I was amazed at how many guys claimed to have watch him play so much in Winnipeg, and had him so well scouted. As if.

And the idea that Buff was carrying him never made sense. How can a guy that is constantly out of position carry his partner? Its pretty clear that he played with Buff to cover for him, and allow him to take chances.

Most surprising thing to me is how well he skates and how good he is in transition, he pivots quick and can make plays on turnovers.

Pretty limited offensively but frees up his partners to create offense. His deal so far is a steal.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
I was amazed at how many guys claimed to have watch him play so much in Winnipeg, and had him so well scouted. As if.

And the idea that Buff was carrying him never made sense. How can a guy that is constantly out of position carry his partner? Its pretty clear that he played with Buff to cover for him, and allow him to take chances.

Most surprising thing to me is how well he skates and how good he is in transition, he pivots quick and can make plays on turnovers.

Pretty limited offensively but frees up his partners to create offense. His deal so far is a steal.

He uses the boards a lot in zone exits, which does not seem to fit the "system", but as the season progresses, the forwards seems to be able to adjust more to "his style". I like that he hits the net with his shots a lot. Looks confident out there.

Poor man Craig Rivet... And I liked Rivet.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
After we've signed him, I've watched the Blues-Jets series to get a read on him. I concluded that if it's his normal level of play, he'd turn out to be a solid acquisition. So far it looks like it is his normal level. Some of the hot takes coming from people who have claimed they've seen him a lot sure look silly right now. Carried by Byfuglien? I don't know how Byfuglien can carry anyone, considering how much of an adventure he is in his positional play. Unfortunately, with Kulak looking more and more like a mirage, our entire 3rd pair basically evaporated. So we've taken one step forward and one step back.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
He uses the boards a lot in zone exits, which does not seem to fit the "system", but as the season progresses, the forwards seems to be able to adjust more to "his style". I like that he hits the net with his shots a lot. Looks confident out there.

Poor man Craig Rivet... And I liked Rivet.
well if you think he's a lesser version of Rivet, who was a 2nd pairing D...

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
well if you think he's a lesser version of Rivet, who was a 2nd pairing D...
Not sure which Craig Rivet you are refering to, but the one I'm talking about was playing the most on the team after Markov in his last season in Montreal (his "prime" if you want). He even signed a 3,5 M x 4y deal as 33 y old UFA, which was almost 8% of the cap at time (not saying it was a great deal). The equivalent nowadays would be 5,7 M x 4y.

I'd say if Rivet was not a top pair defender in his prime (I think he was), he was at the very least a very high end second pair.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az

He's played well for sure. Last two games he's been lights out. I think he's discovering he's not just a guy who rides someone's jockstrap like in Winnipeg.
But the analytics in Winnipeg did show his play dropped off when not with Buff. Lets not kid anyone Buff was an all-star D. So naturally his partners analytics will drop if paired suddenly with a 5/6.
Now Chiarot is coming into his own. Great for us.

Reactions: japhi

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
He's been really good overall after a slow start. He's certainly playing at a higher level than he was in Winnipeg. Hopefully he can keep it up.

Reactions: jaffy27

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Not sure which Craig Rivet you are refering to, but the one I'm talking about was playing the most on the team after Markov in his last season in Montreal (his "prime" if you want). He even signed a 3,5 M x 4y deal as 33 y old UFA, which was almost 8% of the cap at time (not saying it was a great deal). The equivalent nowadays would be 5,7 M x 4y.

I'd say if Rivet was not a top pair defender in his prime (I think he was), he was at the very least a very high end second pair.
oh, that ONE year ?

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
I knew if he was physical but what suprises me is his offensive awareness. Winnipeg is my second favourite team and I have watched them a lot over the past few years and didn't see his offensive game as much as we're seeing now.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
He's played well for sure. Last two games he's been lights out. I think he's discovering he's not just a guy who rides someone's jockstrap like in Winnipeg.
But the analytics in Winnipeg did show his play dropped off when not with Buff. Lets not kid anyone Buff was an all-star D. So naturally his partners analytics will drop if paired suddenly with a 5/6.
Now Chiarot is coming into his own. Great for us.

Or maybe it means that giving too much importance to analytics is not a good idea?

Reactions: Vachon23

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Or maybe it means that giving too much importance to analytics is not a good idea?
That is true in general.

But in this case it's more of a misinterpretation of the analytics.

Of course his analytics would be better with Buf's. Who's wouldnt be? When he was taken away from Buf and put with some other scrub his analytics dropped off. Geez really? Of course they would.

Nevertheless he's been a pleasant surprise. I see him gaining confidence too.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014

This. Weber trade he was an advanced stars plug. Thousands of posts on how he is an offensive drain. Comes here and his numbers improve dramtically playing with bottom pair partners.

Same case was made for Chiarot, look at his advanced stats this year.

I’m sure advanced stats have some value but from what I can see they are used to try and demonstrate a guy I don’t like is underperforming, and guys I do like are better then their traditional stat lines.

Case in point, no one talks about Weber or Chiarots advanced stats anymore. Or Subbans.

Reactions: Vachon23

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
He does look like an excellent addition so far. Gotta give credit to Bergevin on that one, he an obvious upgrade on Benn. We'd be so poor depth wise if not for him!

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Ben Chiarot has been stellar the last little while. If Habs had someone to play with Weber, the Top-4 would be set. And with Fleury holding the fort in the third pair, they'd have a much better defensive unit.

Reactions: jaffy27

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Habs better find a solution Chiarot won't be able to hold 30min for so long. He's gonna get burned like Petry and Weber did.

To cut down on Chiarot's ice time:

1) I'd live with Kulak's mistakes first and foremost - as Julien did last night. Last night CJ had Kulak-Weber, Chiarot-Petry. I never liked Kulak-Weber last year, and always though Kulak-Petry were solid, despite the occasional blunders. so one of those two options for the top 2 pairs.

2) to get the bottom pair more ice time, see if Mete-Fleury is better than Kulak-Fleury. Would be great if they could get 15-17 minutes a night. In the meantime, try to give Leskinen real ice time and see if he can adapt to the NHL.

I don't want to give up picks and prospects for a mediocre vet.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Ben Chiarot has been stellar the last little while. If Habs had someone to play with Weber, the Top-4 would be set. And with Fleury holding the fort in the third pair, they'd have a much better defensive unit.

Who do see making a good 3rd pairing, even if we get a partner from outside?

Mete-Fleury?
Kulak-Fleury?

Because if it's Mete-Fleury, and Kulak can give us what he did last year, we've got a serviceable, if unspectacular dcore. But the problems with the forward corps still remain, when there are injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad