Post-Game Talk: #8 - 10/24/19 | sabres @ RANGERS

3 Stars of the Game

• Total voters

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Well those people are ****in nuts because Dahlin was outstanding last year.

Regardless, age 19 seems to be the breakout season for most of the elite-level prospects, but they're generally outstanding at 19.

I don't know if Kakko is a year away from outstanding, but I wouldn't be surprised either.

Wasn’t Barkov 19/in his second season when he broke out?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Trouba adds an element on our blue line that’s been lacking for a long ass time.

Yes, and I really think we should preach this message to everyone and anyone we know in Rangerland — because soon a certain element will notice that Trouba is:
6C0657BA-AEDA-46F3-BFC4-9E69E662D5D9.png

Which is even worse than:
0BAD49F8-ED71-4DA9-A22F-A915033DD3EC.png

And all hell will break out and never go away. Trouba is doing a very solid job with a tough work description.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Lots to like in this game, obviously. Just a shame Kakko hit the post instead of scoring.

Unchanged lineup for the next one?

Hope Ziba and Panarin is split at least.

It can have a really big impact on the team as a whole if you manage to balance the lines out. Kind of like just after we got Gomez and Drury.

We tried everything and anything to work with Jagr plus Drury/Gomez and even Drury with Gomez, but it wasn’t until we gave all of them a line of their own that we started to play OK hockey.

Playing Drury on the “3rd line” was the sole topic of many articles and a real OMG thing at the time. But I think it’s more important than we realize to have 4 lines that can play, or 3+1.

I wonder what the lines where back then? I don’t remember exactly. Something like:
Avery-Dubi-JJ
Dawes-Gomez-Shanny
Straka-Drury-Cally/Hossa
Hollweg-Betts-Ortmayer

Of course the lines changed. But that team didn’t lose many games after Christmas IIRC.

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
Really happy with this win. This is the style of game they need to play. Attack the puck and play quick. IT seems like these guys need need to keep watching film of themselves play. It clearly made a huge difference.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Gotta be fair, Kakko got a real chance tonight and he was bad. Made a good line a non-factor.

It's very early but he's a little bit more of a project right now than I thought he would be.
completely agree.

Although I will add I am not worried long term.

you can see the skill, he just doesn't really know what he can and cannot do at this level yet. I'm confident he will figure it out.

mulli25

Jun 25, 2008
NJ
Lots to be happy with after that one for a change.

Aside from some of the more obvious ones, Lemieux was a real impact player last night. I feel like we got a real glimpse of what he can bring to the table as an NHLer and it was exciting to watch.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Ok, I was being a little bit smart.

What I'm saying is, the whole thing is kinda dumb when you think about it. I mean, we root for these guys we don't even know playing a silly game. But we do it, and I do it too. I want to research why it means so much to us.
Being a sports fan is a socially acceptable way of living out our tribal tendencies as human beings. It certainly beats politics and war.

I agree its an interesting topic.

I'd read that book

Last edited:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Being a sports fan is a socially acceptable way of living out our tribal tendencies as human beings. It certainly beats politics and war.

I agree its an interesting topic

I remember reading studies back in the day that essentially theorized that in an era where there’s less warfare and inter-kingdom interacts in Western society, athletic competition has essentially become our tribal challenges and a part of our cultural identity.

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
Just watched replay.

Love the D Pairings..except who Fox has to play with.
Quinn was ripping into Buch with 5 minutes left in game and I kept rewinding to see what happened and it was Pavel being lazy and chippy hanging at center ice which resulted in a penalty.
Panarin is a super elite player especially in tight quarters.
Brendan can be an effective player and I like what he brings

Reactions: egelband

Deleted member 23124

Just watched replay.

Love the D Pairings..except who Fox has to play with.
Quinn was ripping into Buch with 5 minutes left in game and I kept rewinding to see what happened and it was Pavel being lazy and chippy hanging at center ice which resulted in a penalty.
Panarin is a super elite player especially in tight quarters.
Brendan can be an effective player and I like what he brings
I caught that ... as he walked away, it looked like Buch said something under his breath because Quinn turned and started again. I noticed the player next to Buch tapped him on the knee a few times as if to say "calm down".

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I caught that ... as he walked away, it looked like Buch said something under his breath because Quinn turned and started again. I noticed the player next to Buch tapped him on the knee a few times as if to say "calm down".
I don’t know what it is with Buchnevich but he just not... clicking. I don’t want to be crude... and I don’t have an opinion, just curious. Is he intelligent? He always seems to be zigging when his teammates are zagging.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I don’t know what it is with Buchnevich but he just not... clicking. I don’t want to be crude... and I don’t have an opinion, just curious. Is he intelligent? He always seems to be zigging when his teammates are zagging.

He's just not as good as people want him to be because he was our top prospect in a time we had a weak prospect pool.

All of that being said he has 6 points in 8 games and has been on the ice for 10 GF/4 GA so it hasn't really been an issue. He's a perfectly fine complementary scoring wing.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Ok, I was being a little bit smart.

What I'm saying is, the whole thing is kinda dumb when you think about it. I mean, we root for these guys we don't even know playing a silly game. But we do it, and I do it too. I want to research why it means so much to us.
Religion (my god can SMASH your god ANY f***IN DAY BUDDY), politics (CSPAN is primetime TV now wtf???), and sports (RA RA TEAMS & WINNN).

Humans blindly rooting for one side to beat another. It's spreading like the plague. The new Death and Taxes.

Deleted member 23124

He's just not as good as people want him to be because he was our top prospect in a time we had a weak prospect pool.

All of that being said he has 6 points in 8 games and has been on the ice for 10 GF/4 GA so it hasn't really been an issue. He's a perfectly fine complementary scoring wing.
I don't think that's the case......he just has too many moments where it seems he's suddenly somewhere else and he does something asinine......a lot like JT Miller when he was here.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Congrats on Fox’s first point, was long overdue. Kreider with a nice dirty goal, thought his effort was there, but that top line just wasn’t getting it done. Kakko is just not there yet, and is struggling, regardless with who he plays with. But he is only 18yo so not worried.

Panarin is truly the breadman. That goal, wow, it looked even more sexier in person, lol.

Tony D, 4 points in his last two games, love how he is racking in the points. Between Fox, Trouba, and him. Our D does have some very bright spots.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Remains to be seen. I don't think the organization is as high on him as you are. Right D has become a strength, both on the team presently and in the prospect pool. I could see one of them being traded to improve another position. It's not going to be Trouba or Fox.

that’s alarming if they arent the way he plays.

PalmCoastRanger

Jun 21, 2019
A lot to like from last night's game.

Kreider and Lemieux trying to go through people instead of side stepping was fun to watch And made both of them more effective.

Aggressive Buch was also great to see. I hope Kreider and Buch play this way from here on out.

Trouba was a mixed bag last night. Great plays, hits and then some head scratching decisions. Not worried about him though.

Fox continues to impress. He makes so many subtle plays that are easy to overlook, but man is he smooth out there. Andersson and Kakko doing rookie things, but overall I like their performance last night.

Keep it up boys!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad