Post-Game Talk: #8 - 10/24/19 | sabres @ RANGERS

3 Stars of the Game

• Total voters

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Trouba isn't going anywhere. He's a cornerstone on D, and he has a NMC starting next year. Fox is part of the long term solution.

I think Tony will eventually be the odd man out, but not right now.

I could see them giving Tony a high AAV 1-2 year deal this upcoming summer. That potentially takes the team up to the end of Fox's ELC, and Tony will be an RFA that *hopefully* has been playing well. Trade him somewhere he can sign for long term, and gain whatever assets that come with him.

Also gives Lundkvist some time to develop, and ease him into things.

Why not just give him a long-term deal? The team had the leverage this off-season so he signed a 1 year low-dollar deal. I'd give him 6-7 years to try to keep that next contract's cap hit down.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Why not just give him a long-term deal? The team had the leverage this off-season so he signed a 1 year low-dollar deal. I'd give him 6-7 years to try to keep that next contract's cap hit down.
Well a couple potential issues, but I'm not against signing him long term.

The biggest "issue" (if you want to call it that) would be Lundkvist. He'll be playing for the team soon enough, and he needs a spot. Now you could shift Tony or Fox over to the left, but I just don't see that happening. A handful of guys are able to do that successfully, and I also don't see Quinn as a guy that would make that move long term.

The other issue would be needing to sign Fox eventually. Obviously we're in year 1, and who knows what happens in two years, but I'm sure Gorton is very cognizant of the fact that they already have Trouba signed for big money, and if they sign Fox/DeAngelo for big money, you can't have three guys all on the right making big bucks.

Again that's assuming Fox continues to project upwards. Maybe he tails off and doesn't cost a fortune to sign, at which point I'm fine with getting Tony for a long term deal.

That's why, if they sign Tony to a 1-2 year deal, the team can figure out what they have in Fox and Lundkvist, and make a decision from there.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Well a couple potential issues, but I'm not against signing him long term.

The biggest "issue" (if you want to call it that) would be Lundkvist. He'll be playing for the team soon enough, and he needs a spot. Now you could shift Tony or Fox over to the left, but I just don't see that happening. A handful of guys are able to do that successfully, and I also don't see Quinn as a guy that would make that move long term.

The other issue would be needing to sign Fox eventually. Obviously we're in year 1, and who knows what happens in two years, but I'm sure Gorton is very cognizant of the fact that they already have Trouba signed for big money, and if they sign Fox/DeAngelo for big money, you can't have three guys all on the right making big bucks.

Again that's assuming Fox continues to project upwards. Maybe he tails off and doesn't cost a fortune to sign, at which point I'm fine with getting Tony for a long term deal.

That's why, if they sign Tony to a 1-2 year deal, the team can figure out what they have in Fox and Lundkvist, and make a decision from there.

ADA at a reasonable cap hit long-term will be worth quite a bit should the team need to trade him. Also, if they can get him at, say, $4.5m per season, that will most likely look like a steal long-term an allow them to spend money elsewhere versus the 2 year bridge and then needing to pay him $7m. If he continues to play well that will be almost 2 full years of solid play. to me, that's a long enough NHL track record for a long-term deal (assuming he is reasonable on his cap hit demands)

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
ADA at a reasonable cap hit long-term will be worth quite a bit should the team need to trade him. Also, if they can get him at, say, $4.5m per season, that will most likely look like a steal long-term an allow them to spend money elsewhere versus the 2 year bridge and then needing to pay him $7m. If he continues to play well that will be almost 2 full years of solid play. to me, that's a long enough NHL track record for a long-term deal (assuming he is reasonable on his cap hit demands)
Yeah I don't disagree with this reasoning. This is the scenario I wanted with Hayes, sign him long term, and if Chytil/Lias/Howden push him down, you could trade him.

Obviously the team didn't feel the same haha

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Can anyone actually think of a time, realistically, where we had "Too many" good players at a position?

Because I certainly can't. Doesn't seem a thing worth worrying about before it becomes an issue, anyways.
Not only are there no issues, there are also no real predictions. Let's just see how things develop over the year and how much praise DeAngelo is worthy of over the whole body of work. He looked good, but it is still very early and a long way to go. In the end, his own play will dictate his contract status. And we cannot possibly be talking about places for some one else to play when the someone else is not even in North America.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Very quietly, Hajak is starting to put his game together. I thought he played really well tonight.

He's been the best kind of "not noticable" on this team since day 1. Incredible poise and very few mistakes. Already putting Marc Staal to shame.

Speaking of, as amazing as panarin is to watch live, staal is legitimately the opposite of that. It's agonizing just watching him try, not really sure what the coaches are looking/waiting for with him

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Let’s relax on Kakko he’s 8 games into his nhl career. Easily could have had a goal tonight. He’s 18 years old. Jack Hughes has 2 points in 8 games and is a -4 too. So it’s completely normal. We need to give him mins though. He needs to play thru it. Too talented. To not get going. But he needs mins.
People forgot that not every top 3 picks are Nathan MacKinnon and Sidney Crosby. Even then, those guys were not their prime-selves when they were 18. This stuff takes time.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Does it change what I said?

Yes because you are using about 1/2 of a half of a game sample to determine what he did for the entire game. Basic bad mathematics.

in short, you're exaggerating.

We get it, you're miserable and unhappy. Go do it somewhere else, there's enough toxicity on this board.

Reactions: shinchanuuhh

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Can anyone actually think of a time, realistically, where we had "Too many" good players at a position?

Because I certainly can't. Doesn't seem a thing worth worrying about before it becomes an issue, anyways.
exactly

There is another expansion draft coming up that we will likely have to lose a good player to, and a Michael Sauer situation can happen at any time.

if it does eventually become a "problem" the worst case scenario is that we have to move a player that we have an internal replacement for.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
He's been the best kind of "not noticable" on this team since day 1. Incredible poise and very few mistakes. Already putting Marc Staal to shame.

Speaking of, as amazing as panarin is to watch live, staal is legitimately the opposite of that. It's agonizing just watching him try, not really sure what the coaches are looking/waiting for with him

The end of his contract

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
I can’t tell if you’re serious. HE WAS HORRENDOUS. Rebound control awful. Puck handling awful. And gave up a softie and almost another one. Thank Good he faced very little danger until the 3rd when it was already game over

How does one almost give up a goal whitout giving one up? Is that maybe what the kids call a save?

I **** you not, not even trying to be smart, it's about how dumb sports fans are.

This had me rofl :laugh:

Reactions: Machinehead

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
Yes he's 18 but other 18 year old like Rasmus Dahlin, Petersson, Skinner when he was a rookie and plenty of others I don't feel like naming didn't have issues skating.

Not sure about the other two but Pettersson wasn't 18 when he came into the league. Didn't come over the year after he was drafted. He played in Sweden. His birthday is in November as well, so he technically started as a 19 year old and before his rookie season was even 2 months old he was 21.

Reactions: Maximus

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yes because you are using about 1/2 of a half of a game sample to determine what he did for the entire game. Basic bad mathematics.

in short, you're exaggerating.

We get it, you're miserable and unhappy. Go do it somewhere else, there's enough toxicity on this board.
I'm in a great mood, I don't know what you're talking about.

There's certainly plenty of toxicity on this board, you got that right.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
the ultimate sick own claims another victim
Herman says "yes, a hard working player worked hard" and he still gets crucified just because he likes analytics, even though analytics never came up.

People just deciding to be angry over things that didn't happen but I'm in a bad mood.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
barkov had 24 points in 54 games as a rookie, then only 36 in 71 in year 2. it wasn't till year 3 as a 20 year old that he started pushing a ppg (59 in 66)

Just to reiterate, the point I was making about Kakko compared to those other young players had nothing to do with talent or scoring lots of goals and assists at this point...that part I’m confident will eventually start to come.

I’m talking about his “skating”...his lack of foot speed or even being able to keep up with his linemates whoever it is that particular game.

That is very concerning. I have no concerns whatsoever that Kakko isn’t Uber skilled or will catch on. But what’s up with his skating and seemingly skating in mud.

I used to play back in the day and I skated the same speed pretty much all the time which was slow...lol

To any of you guys who are or we’re good skaters in your beer leagues...whatever, do you guys see what I’m seeing with Kakko’s sluggish skating ability thus far and if so can this be corrected this year or not and either way he needs to work on the core muscles that lead to additional speed.

Or is this just him being 18 and he’ll eventually start to keep up with his lineups. I dont know the answers but I know what my eyes see and so is this a concern or not?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad