Post-Game Talk: #8 - 10/24/19 | sabres @ RANGERS

3 Stars of the Game

• Total voters

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Just to reiterate, the point I was making about Kakko compared to those other young players had nothing to do with talent or scoring lots of goals and assists at this point...that part I’m confident will eventually start to come.

I’m talking about his “skating”...his lack of foot speed or even being able to keep up with his linemates whoever it is that particular game.

That is very concerning. I have no concerns whatsoever that Kakko isn’t Uber skilled or will catch on. But what’s up with his skating and seemingly skating in mud.

I used to play back in the day and I skated the same speed pretty much all the time which was slow...lol

To any of you guys who are or we’re good skaters in your beer leagues...whatever, do you guys see what I’m seeing with Kakko’s sluggish skating ability thus far and if so can this be corrected this year or not and either way he needs to work on the core muscles that lead to additional speed.

Or is this just him being 18 and he’ll eventually start to keep up with his lineups. I dont know the answers but I know what my eyes see and so is this a concern or not?
It can be corrected with a skating coach or just by teaching yourself how to skate again, so to speak. For example: extending your strides and “rolling out” your skate as you push really gives you a boost. It’s something Hoss and Bure did to perfection (but gave the latter lots of knee troubles down the line) when they were in their primes. Focus on power of the stride rather than speed of the stride.

That easily added 5mph to my top speed when I used to play.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
It's one game. There are still major question marks behind Quinn as an NHL head coach.
I think the point is that if he was making the same mistakes then how come no one saw any today or on the other days we win?

It's bc everyone is full of shit and just bitching after losing. No one here knows how good or bad Q is. Maybe 2 people have any semblance of knowledge on what he's doing to hurt or help. Everyone else just sees a losing streak and makes up a bunch of shit to justify the pitchfork

Harsh but true. People here aren't breaking down anything tactical. It's just vague complaints about who's not being developed right or how we have no structure.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I think the point is that if he was making the same mistakes then how come no one saw any today or on the other days we win?

It's bc everyone is full of **** and just *****ing after losing. No one here knows how good or bad Q is. Maybe 2 people have any semblance of knowledge on what he's doing to hurt or help. Everyone else just sees a losing streak and makes up a bunch of **** to justify the pitchfork

Harsh but true. People here aren't breaking down anything tactical. It's just vague complaints about who's not being developed right or how we have no structure.

Gotta admit, I hate your style of criticism when it's directed at me, but love it when it's something I agree with :laugh:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Howden played better today I'll give him that. Dunno what his advanced stats were like but he didn't handle the puck like a hot potato all game long and actually did some effective forechecking.

For as much as people complain about Kakko on that first line, to be honest I kind of just saw a continuation of the same problems Zibanejad's line has had for a few games now. Their forechecking strategy isn't very good and they try to force stuff off the rush too much. Kakko didn't help of any that but they often get in after the puck with no real support and don't do a good job of identifying when to make a play and when to cycle it around when they're on the rush. That's not all on Kakko.
Other lines seemed tighter and supported each other better, that line was spaced out all over the ice and didn't support each other for crap.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago

It's bc everyone is full of **** and just *****ing after losing. No one here knows how good or bad Q is. Maybe 2 people have any semblance of knowledge on what he's doing to hurt or help. Everyone else just sees a losing streak and makes up a bunch of **** to justify the pitchfork

This is our third win. Quinn was getting it plenty even when we started the season 2-0 (that was a month ago I know, so it's ok to forget). Maybe we played a good game. Maybe it was our very first of the season. Would it be more tolerable if people came in like f*** IT, D. QUINN STILL SUCKS AND THIS PROVES NOTHING! That would reek way more of bullshit then calling a well-played (and well-coached) game what it is when it happens. Doesn't mean it has always been happening, or that it will keep happening. Doesn't mean it didn't happen either...

Reactions: DanielBrassard

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Also, not every criticism of Quinn has to smuggle with it the decision that he should be canned or that he sucks. Same for the players. I've been critical of Quinn this season, I don't hate the guy or think he's a bad coach--never have.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
This game just proves what the coach has been saying all along, if you play hard and pay attention to the details you can win games.

Reactions: belford22

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Itd need a lot of deep thought. At the heart of a book like that would be compassion, empathy, and a keen eye for stuff that goes beyond simply numbers and easily misconstrued facts.

So if MH is the author that's a very hard pass for me

Now give ME a book about being a bitter, jaded ******* loner fed up with everyone's bull**** and I'd knock it out of the park but we already have Holden Caulfield

See when I read super reductionist theories like “sports are tribal tendencies”, I chuckle a bit because massive sports competitions and even stadiums have been part of society since antiquity, and although luckily no direct conflict has been going on in our backyard right now, there is still massive wide spread proxy war all over the globe.

If anything, sports keep us in tune with a reality more than the fragile bubble we are lucky to be born in the US.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Let’s turn down the burners a little bit on Quinn. He isn’t going anywhere this season. He is learning and developing as a coach. (See my post about not using Hajak and Fox on the penalty kill) He needs to grow and improve. Too much of what I read here would indicate that he’s on a short leash. He isn’t.

If you want to see what a coach in trouble looks like, look at Detroit.

Reactions: MikaIsGod

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Not to point out the obvious, but the Sabres young team gave the Rangers a ton of space yesterday. They also weren't particularly stout in front of their net.

As just one example, if you look at Panarin's goal (first goal of game), Reinhardt had a shot at cutting Panarin off, blocking his path across the crease, but if you watch the highlights, he totally stopped skating. Beyond that, the Rangers scored the kinds of goals they weren't getting during the losing streak. The forechecking goal scored by Howden from Fast. Strome's deflection. It's as much a reflection of the Rangers as it is the Sabres not committing enough to net-front coverage.

That said, to me, one of the biggest takeaways from the Sabres game is about structure. As we know, Hockey is a game of mistakes. Every player makes them. And every team has a few players prone to making big time flubs. But what teams like the Rangers and Sabres seem to have in common is that those mistakes aren't as easily absorbed by their system or their players commitment to the system.

Reactions: shinchanuuhh

BKGooner

Jun 23, 2017
Rangers were going back door (weak side whatever you want to call it) all game. Buffalo's d also left the zone early and reacted really slowly to turnovers. Looked like the Rangers also had a little bit of a book on Hutton.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Anyone notice Sam pronouncing Sheary differently than other years. Used to be "sheery" and now it's "sherry". Slick, subtle veteran move.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
See when I read super reductionist theories like “sports are tribal tendencies”, I chuckle a bit because massive sports competitions and even stadiums have been part of society since antiquity,

Yea in the lens of historical context a thought like "fans NOW are soooo irrational" is definitely worth a chuckle. Like folks...we rooted for men to brutally murder each other in arena competition. Us being irrationally invested in competition is not an insight.

For the most part around here it isn't even some deep, psychological thing when people act irrationally. It's a bunch of idiots who can't contribute much so they end up trying to pump up their own ego with a series of hot takes, predictions and "analysis"

Maybe the book should be a farce poking fun at guys who wake up their neighbors by yelling like jackasses

massive wide spread proxy war all over the globe.
All I hear is solid snake

Last edited:
Reactions: ReggieDunlop68

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008

I'm one of those 2 people.

Reactions: shinchanuuhh

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Anyone also notice that Joe is also filling in more blanks for Sam (e.g. identifying players) than he has done in the past?
"Thanks, Joe"

But, with his diet being Papa Johns pizza and Subway sandwiches, is he taking care of his health?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad