Prospect Info: 7th overall: Vancouver selects Quinn Hughes (D, University of Michigan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I’m going to be watching Boqvist’s progression closely. He’s the one player that does a lot of the things Hughes does in addition to having a good shot and one timer. Likely to be a better PP solution than Hughes.

In the comparison, Hughes has to be better at ES, or it’s going to appear like he’s the lesser pick overall. Luckily, Hughes’ IQ is off the charts and his skating is superior so that’s probably a safe bet. Still, I’ll be watching London closely this year.

Boqvist was my 3rd ranked D behind hughes, I know we had a discussion well before the draft between the two. I have no doubt boqvist will do great in london, I think that is a great spot for him, I have not followed bouchard post draft but if he goes back its almost a given boqvist will have success, also since he has played in tougher leagues against men already I do expect him to dominate in the lesser ohl.

I made a comparison that I hate and it is somewhat ridiculous, but it is like comparing barzal to boeser. What set hughes above boqvist for me ultimately was the motor/compete and to a lesser degree hughes showed more creativity. Button was not wrong when he complained about boqvist intensity and laid back play, but that is something that can be corrected/improved, i dont think however boqvist will ever have the non stop motor that hughes does and for me that trumped boqvist elite shot.

As far as running a powerplay and who will be the better solution that remains to be seen, a shot from the point is only one aspect of the powerplay, boqvist in my viewings certainly cant gain the offensive zone like hughes does. Here is a quick clip of hughes quarterbacking a powerplay with nhl talent from world championships.

Last edited:

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Doesn't make much sense honestly. What exactly is going to change next year? If Benning can't give him certainty now he isn't going to give it in a year.

He will definitely be guaranteed a spot next year. They dont want to play this game with Quinn Hughes because then he would be going to his third year and one more and he can bolt as an UFA.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Boqvist was my 3rd ranked D behind hughes, I know we had a discussion well before the draft between the two. I have no doubt boqvist will do great in london, I think that is a great spot for him, I have not followed bouchard post draft but if he goes back its almost a given boqvist will have success, also since he has played in tougher leagues against men already I do expect him to dominate in the lesser ohl.

I made a comparison that I hate and it is somewhat ridiculous, but it is like comparing barzal to boeser. What set hughes above boqvist for me ultimately was the motor/compete and to a lesser degree hughes showed more creativity. Button was not wrong when he complained about boqvist intensity and laid back play, but that is something that can be corrected/improved, i dont think however boqvist will ever have the non stop motor that hughes does and for me that trumped boqvist elite shot.

As far as running a powerplay and who will be the better solution that remains to be seen, a shot from the point is only one aspect of the powerplay, boqvist in my viewings certainly cant gain the offensive zone like hughes does. Here is a quick clip of hughes quarterbacking a powerplay with nhl talent from world championships.

Boqvist is a fantastic prospect but I pick Hughes over him every time. Boqvists concussion history had me weary

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I think too much value is being placed on having a big slap shot. Being able to just get a wrist shot through can be great. Bieksa didn't have a huge shot but he put up 40+ before and I think him just wristing the puck towards the net generated some favorable deflections. Bieksa seemed average in the shooting category and Hughes probably has a better wrist shot as well right?

A big shot obviously something to work on, and I do think it's more important on the powerplay, but I think it's not nearly as high as some people make it out to be. I think having puck skills and skating like Hughes could be just as valuable if used correctly. I would love to have a defenceman who will take the puck and have someone cover for him. I don't mind Hughes skating to the goal line to find Boeser wide open. If he's got the skills people say he does, let him use those.

IF he's the absolute total package but doesn't have the shot, the real deal elite player with top end IQ and puck skills, we should find a strategy that uses those skills. Strategies and trends in hockey come and go. Are power plays and penalty kills even played the same way now as they were 15 years ago? We let the Sedins be the Sedins and whether you like them or think the should be in the Hall of Fame, they were special to watch and they found plays that worked and started their own trends.

I think we made a huge mistake by not letting Kassian be Kassian, and he's nowhere near the player the Sedins are/were.

f*** having the big shot

Last edited:

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Honestly tho, that spinorama pass to gain the zone is not gonna work in the NHL. That gets picked off for a short handed breakaway. I haven’t watched him enough to decide if he can gain a PP zone better than Edler and his predictable drop pass , but that spinorama move isn’t selling me.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Honestly tho, that spinorama pass to gain the zone is not gonna work in the NHL. That gets picked off for a short handed breakaway. I haven’t watched him enough to decide if he can gain a PP zone better than Edler and his predictable drop pass , but that spinorama move isn’t selling me.

Well it was against nhl players....and I have not seen him attempt it before. But the pass was not suppose to be the point, it was his ability to quarterback a power play.

I am sure given your beliefs on pettersson being a bad pick due to his size, you are even more so angry at the hughes pick.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Well it was against nhl players....and I have not seen him attempt it before. But the pass was not suppose to be the point, it was his ability to quarterback a power play.

I am sure given your beliefs on pettersson being a bad pick due to his size, you are even more so angry at the hughes pick.
That poster also hates Boeser, so not sure how seriously we should be taking him...

Reactions: The Drop

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki

sigh. thats what u took away from that video? this guy has nearly Gretzky like vision of what going on. He's NHL ready. The Canucks have some personnel problems, too many established mediocre overpaid veterans and a ton of prospects eager. on D, forwards and goal. Juolevi and Hughs on D, 4 or 5 forwards like Dahlen and Pettersson, and Demko.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

As far as running a powerplay and who will be the better solution that remains to be seen, a shot from the point is only one aspect of the powerplay, boqvist in my viewings certainly cant gain the offensive zone like hughes does.

Good post. I think between the two it’s hard to pass up on Hughes. Part of the evaluation, right or wrong, is how they performed in their draft eligible year. For a 2nd best Dman / potential top 5 pick, Hughes performed while Boqvist was middling. Hughes is almost a full year older so that is a consideration, but in terms of development especially over the second half, there’s not much you can complain about Hughes as he was dominant in college and obviously there was his WC performance. Basically, if next year Boqvist is where Hughes is right now he would have had a good season. This isn’t so much about bypassing the guy with the higher upside or picking the guy who is more NHL ready but more about projection. They are similar in upside with Boqvist perhaps having higher upside. But Hughes is further along. Hughes was one of the best players in college hockey over the second half.

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015
The kid has skills no doubt but a lot of people should cool off until we see him in camp and preseason. The real concern to me if they keep him up is his d-partner and how Green uses him. Is he going to get benched for a couple of games for a mistake?

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
If you want people to take your opinion seriously, please do not ever compare a player with 0 NHL games played to Wayne Gretzky. Ever.

When you do that, everything you say after that isn’t taken seriously.

sigh. thats what u took away from that video? this guy has nearly Gretzky like vision of what going on. He's NHL ready. The Canucks have some personnel problems, too many established mediocre overpaid veterans and a ton of prospects eager. on D, forwards and goal. Juolevi and Hughs on D, 4 or 5 forwards like Dahlen and Pettersson, and Demko.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
If you find one post of mine saying Peterson was a bad pick, I will eat my words, you won’t. I’ve never said that. Ahhh the age of online know it alls. Anyone can say anyone else said anything. Great age we live in.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I think too much value is being placed on having a big slap shot. Being able to just get a wrist shot through can be great. Bieksa didn't have a huge shot but he put up 40+ before and I think him just wristing the puck towards the net generated some favorable deflections. Bieksa seemed average in the shooting category and Hughes probably has a better wrist shot as well right
I don't necessarily disagree with the overall sentiment, his wrist shot is fine and his lack of shot may be a bit overblown, but I think that Bieksa is a really bad example, and I disagree with that assessment entirely.

Bieksa was a very capable shooter. He didn't have a cannon (if he did, he would be the focal point of the powerplay), but he was still a moderate shooting threat on a one-timer slapper, and picked up many of his points that way. In fact, I think that he relied far more on an accurate slap-shot/one-timer than he did a sneaky wrist-shot (something that he pretty much never uses on the point).

Having trouble taking and getting off quick one timers does hurt Hughes' ability to be effective on a powerplay, and that has never been something that Bieksa struggled with-- if anything, it was a strength.

Here, look-- Almost all of his goals are hard and accurate slapshots and one-timers-- The only ones that aren't are when he's up on the rush.

Last edited:

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
Boqvist was my guy, so I'm very curious to see how he does with London this year. That being said, I was completely stoked to see Hughes fall to us. A dynamic RHS on the power play would have been nice though.

Dr Always Right

The Ruiner
Oct 26, 2017
Victoria
I don't necessarily disagree with the overall sentiment, his wrist shot is fine and his lack of shot may be a bit overblown, but I think that Bieksa is a really bad example, and I disagree with that assessment entirely.

Bieksa was a very capable shooter. He didn't have a cannon (if he did, he would be the focal point of the powerplay), but he was still a moderate shooting threat on a one-timer slapper, and picked up many of his points that way. In fact, I think that he relied far more on an accurate slap-shot/one-timer than he did a sneaky wrist-shot (something that he pretty much never uses on the point).

Having trouble taking and getting off quick one timers does hurt Hughes' ability to be effective on a powerplay, and that has never been something that Bieksa struggled with-- if anything, it was a strength.

Here, look-- Almost all of his goals are hard and accurate slapshots and one-timers-- The only ones that aren't are when he's up on the rush.

At least for me personally it wasn't so much what type of shot Bieksa used it was that for a while there, when he was putting up good numbers, he was always getting the puck on net and it generated a boat load of chances for everyone.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Boqvist was my guy, so I'm very curious to see how he does with London this year. That being said, I was completely stoked to see Hughes fall to us. A dynamic RHS on the power play would have been nice though.
yes sure but Henrik has retired. We always wanted the right shot guy for the one timer from the Sedins where everything came off the right boards. It's a new era

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
At least for me personally it wasn't so much what type of shot Bieksa used it was that for a while there, when he was putting up good numbers, he was always getting the puck on net and it generated a boat load of chances for everyone.
Sure, but alot of that is thanks to his ability to one-time the puck quickly and accurately, which is something that Hughes does struggle with. They aren't very comparable at all. Velocity isn't the only thing about his shot that requires improvement, and while Bieksa doesn't have the hardest shot, it was still pretty respectable in terms of velocity. Nobody was cheating on account of his lack of a shot.

If the idea being suggested is that Hughes isn't hurt by a lack of a one-timer, and that just having a weak but accurate wrister may be sufficient for a PP quarterback, I think that you would need a much better example than Bieksa.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad