Prospect Info: 7th overall: Vancouver selects Quinn Hughes (D, University of Michigan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Would basically be a wasted year for him in Michigan, unless the lure of playing with his brother is something that's important to him. I see he's been quoted as saying he thinks he can play in the NHL, and if wants to sign, is Benning still likely to tell him to 'forget it' and go back to school?

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
U of M Coach on Sportsnet 650 this morning saying that Hughes will make a desicion within the next 10 days.

Sounds to me like he is signing

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Well if Benning thinks he’s ready and if Hughes wants to turn pro, I’m confident he’s signing.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Hughes wants to lead the tank charge so we're in position to draft his bro :D Anti-Calder 2018/19 lets do it!

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I think an earlier poster said it best. If he signs, he'd have to beat out one of MDZ, Hutton or Pouliot. I mean we're not talking Norris Trophy competition here. And as far as the pp goes, he's virtually guaranteed second-unit time. I mean who else is there? Get 'er done Jimbo.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I think an earlier poster said it best. If he signs, he'd have to beat out one of MDZ, Hutton or Pouliot. I mean we're not talking Norris Trophy competition here. And as far as the pp goes, he's virtually guaranteed second-unit time. I mean who else is there? Get 'er done Jimbo.

he has to beat out two of those guys to be dressed as a left side dman, and one dman has to be traded or waived if you assume juolevi goes to the ahl and they carry 8 dmen (which causes a logjam for forwards).

left side: edler, mdz, hutton, pouliot, hughes, juolevi​

right side: tanev, gudbranson, stecher, biega (possibly pouliot, hughes)​

if you then assume they will spot him in at 10 sheltered minutes a night to start, the other two dmen on his side will need to be able to handle the extra minutes which will be primarily defensive.

interesting times.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
They better play Hughes with Tanev. If they pair Hughes with Gudbranson...

D pairings (now that it seems obvious he’ll sign):

Hughes-Tanev
Edler-Stecher
MDZ-Gudbranson

Hutton should be in there somewhere but our management and coaching hates him so he’ll likely be treaded or benched.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Laterade

Feb 9, 2009
Vancouver, BC
His coach in Michigan also reiterated that even though Hughes seems to be NHL ready in almost all aspects skating & hockey sense wise there's no harm in coming back to Michigan for another year to really train and work out & becoming a stronger player that will help him endure an 82 NHL game season. He never really got that last year with UNDTP, world juniors, and world championships right after. I agree with this statement unless Quinn feels like he has nothing left to learn & is looking for a greater challenge i'm all for him going pro.

I want Quinn to make the team as much as the next guy trust me.
But the thing to keep in mind is that no prospect is ruined by making them return to junior/college to get stronger, however, a lot of them we're ruined by rushing them into the line up too soon.

I hope the decision he makes is the right one.

If you're interested in listening to the interview here's the link.

Wolverines coach suggests Hughes might be better off with another year at Michigan - Sportsnet.ca

Hockeyphysio

Jul 2, 2018
I hope Benning wants him here because he feels the player is ready and would benefit his development not hoping he will help save his job

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Alternate Hughes and Juolevi in and out of the lineup until Hughes reaches 9 games then either keep him up and keep Juolevi in the AHL, or send him down and Juolevi stays up full time.

Edler-Gudbranson(yuck)
Hughes/Juolevi-Tanev
Del Zotto-Stetcher

Trade Hutton I guess.

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Alternate Hughes and Juolevi in and out of the lineup until Hughes reaches 9 games then either keep him up and keep Juolevi in the AHL, or send him down and Juolevi stays up full time.

Edler-Gudbranson(yuck)
Hughes/Juolevi-Tanev
Del Zotto-Stetcher

Trade Hutton I guess.

9 games means nothing not going to CHL can drop him and bring him back any time they want. For that reason alone sign as other wise his schedule depends on how well Michigan does this year when it should depend on how good he is. Even if he is not good enough at start of year he may be by December or February.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Why do fans want 20 year old pettersson to ahl while 17 year old hughes make nhl right away? Really?

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Why do fans want 20 year old pettersson to ahl while 17 year old hughes make nhl right away? Really?
We don't. It's the fact that our blue line is so bad that theoretically he would step in and probably be our 3rd best defenceman this season. As for Petersson, no one wants him in the AHL. It's just the fact that without a trade, we have like 19 forwards fighting for 13-14 spots, depending on if they carry 8D or 7D on opening night. Most have EP penciled into a middle 6 RW spot, but that would mean putting any or all of Goldbin, Leipsic or Gaunce on waivers.

Superlative Soup

Treasured and Marveled
Apr 8, 2013
Saskatchewan
They better play Hughes with Tanev. If they pair Hughes with Gudbranson...

D pairings (now that it seems obvious he’ll sign):

Hughes-Tanev
Edler-Stecher
MDZ-Gudbranson

Hutton should be in there somewhere but our management and coaching hates him so he’ll likely be treaded or benched.
Giving him Tanev’s tough deployment seems like an awful idea.

Reactions: brokenhole

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
9 games means nothing not going to CHL can drop him and bring him back any time they want. For that reason alone sign as other wise his schedule depends on how well Michigan does this year when it should depend on how good he is. Even if he is not good enough at start of year he may be by December or February.
Yes it does. If he plays over 9 games, his ELC won't slide, and we'll have one less year of him on ELC dollars.

We can play him under 10 games, and put him in the AHL for the rest of the season and his ELC will slide one year.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Yes it does. If he plays over 9 games, his ELC won't slide, and we'll have one less year of him on ELC dollars.

We can play him under 10 games, and put him in the AHL for the rest of the season and his ELC will slide one year.
This. Keep him up for 9 games then evaluate.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010

Really? Good to know. Would not worry much about sliding his contract.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Really? Good to know. Would not worry much about sliding his contract.
Bit more information:

8c02320620.png

NHL CBA FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

But yeah, I agree. I'd rather cap be ate up by young players rather than overpaid UFA plugs this regime can't resist signing every offseason. I don't think the Canucks are going to be anywhere close to competing in three years so it's not going to matter really at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wo Yorfat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad