Prospect Info: 7th overall: Vancouver selects Quinn Hughes (D, University of Michigan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Boqvist was my guy, so I'm very curious to see how he does with London this year. That being said, I was completely stoked to see Hughes fall to us. A dynamic RHS on the power play would have been nice though.

Hughes is exactly what this PP needed. The PP has enough shots as currently constructed. Boeser on the left end board and Pettersson on the other end board with Hughes feeding them is going to be absolutely lethal. You could even add Edler into the mix since he'll likely be the other point on the PP.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
If you find one post of mine saying Peterson was a bad pick, I will eat my words, you won’t. I’ve never said that. Ahhh the age of online know it alls. Anyone can say anyone else said anything. Great age we live in.

Im just going to leave this alone and go back to my original point.

Regardless as usual your original response regarding the post I made was ridiculous how you cherry picked one thing from the video missing the entire point.

Last edited:
Reactions: PassLikeA10YrOldBoy

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Just reading through the older comments on Hughes vs. other dmen, I'm somewhat surprised as to how many posters regarded Hughes as one of the safest choices among the group. As in, he had the ES chops to push shot differentials better than any of the alternatives. That still catches me off guard, especially with the comparisons to Ghost and Barrie.

I'm wondering how many project Hughes to be an ES liability here? Will he be at mid-pairing difficulty, higher/lower?

Sheik Yerbouti

Sep 12, 2008
Just reading through the older comments on Hughes vs. other dmen, I'm somewhat surprised as to how many posters regarded Hughes as one of the safest choices among the group. As in, he had the ES chops to push shot differentials better than any of the alternatives. That still catches me off guard, especially with the comparisons to Ghost and Barrie.

I'm wondering how many project Hughes to be an ES liability here? Will he be at mid-pairing difficulty, higher/lower?

For me Hughes is a bit of an enigma to get a read on for defensive play. From what I've seen of him he is an absolute beast defending in the open ice. Any race for the puck and he's not only going to beat you to it but he's going to turn with the puck and be going the other way. Try to make a move on him in the open ice and he'll use his elite edgework to gain body position and knock the puck away or steal it. He really is an excellent defender when there is space to work.

The problem lies in his size. There is no way around it that he is very undersized and will get overpowered down low or in front of the net on occasion. It's like watching Stecher out there, he can use smarts, work ethic and skills all he wants but there are just occasions that he just gets swatted aside by bigger players or just can't get body position. Now it's impossible to say just how Hughes will do until we see him and just how often he will get overpowered or out positioned but if I were to guess he won't be much of a liability because he can make up for his defensive shortcomings in size with his excellent defensive abilities due to his agility.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
the slowly moving goalposts on hughes' decision are becoming interesting. one would think there actually is a rush for michigan to know whether they need to replace him given their season starts soon and some 18 year old kid somewhere will need to know whether to enroll at michigan.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
As much as I would love to see Quinn Hughes in Vancouver this season, I am starting to lean towards letting him play another season in U.Michigan.

We have a crowd defenders who have a lot to prove this training camp - Stecher, Hutton, Del Zotto, Pouliot and Gudbransson, not to mention Juolevi. There is an benefit to allowing these guys to work their way up, down or off of the roster. Adding hughes into the mix may force an early and possibly regrettable decision - like waiving or trading under pressure or the season roster freeze.

It certainly won't hurt Hughes' development to play another year in the NCAA. But it could potentially hurt him to play in the NHL or AHL if he is not fully ready. We would still have the option to sign him once his college season is done al a Brock Boeser.

This could allow one of Hutton, Del Zotto or Pouliot to be moved at the TDL if/when the Canucks are out of the playoff picture.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
As much as I would love to see Quinn Hughes in Vancouver this season, I am starting to lean towards letting him play another season in U.Michigan.

We have a crowd defenders who have a lot to prove this training camp - Stecher, Hutton, Del Zotto, Pouliot and Gudbransson, not to mention Juolevi. There is an benefit to allowing these guys to work their way up, down or off of the roster. Adding hughes into the mix may force an early and possibly regrettable decision - like waiving or trading under pressure or the season roster freeze.

It certainly won't hurt Hughes' development to play another year in the NCAA. But it could potentially hurt him to play in the NHL or AHL if he is not fully ready. We would still have the option to sign him once his college season is done al a Brock Boeser.

This could allow one of Hutton, Del Zotto or Pouliot to be moved at the TDL if/when the Canucks are out of the playoff picture.

If QH is better than all of those guys you listed, then he ought to be in Vancouver. If Juolevi makes the team out of camp too, then Benning better work the phone lines and move our excess D out. I don't think going back is going to be beneficial to his development because he needs to play against better competition. If QH is determined to get an education, then fine, send him back, but from a hockey standpoint I don't think he has anything to prove at that level.

Edler Tanev
Hughes Gudbranson
Del Zotto Stetcher
Juolevi

I would trade Biega and Pouliot, dump Hutton in the AHL and eat dead cap.

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
I hope he is willing to play in the AHL this year, because having him in the roster might ruin our tank. We need to be the absolute worst team this year, we need J.Hughes

Reactions: THE Green Man

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
I hope he is willing to play in the AHL this year, because having him in the roster might ruin our tank. We need to be the absolute worst team this year, we need J.Hughes

If he's a point per game player at the AHL level, it's going to be pretty hard to justify leaving him down all year. Stunting his development for tank reasons is just shooting ourselves in the foot.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
I dont think he wants to play in Utica, in every interview he deflects questions about Utica and refers to going pro as playing in Van. Just like we want Jack Hughes to play for us, he wants to play with his younger brother next year for Michigan

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Id rather get 25th place then 30th place if it meant a good progressing year for Goldy, Gaudette, Boeser, PBP, Juolevi, Lipesic, Virtanen. If Coach Green decides against playing the young guys then yeah go for 31st place NO QUESTIONS ASKED

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
His brother officially is going back to Plymouth Michigan for next season.

Maybe some foreshadowing that he knows Vancouver is going to sign Quinn, because he did want to play with his brother.

Reactions: GoTeamDom

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
If QH is better than all of those guys you listed, then he ought to be in Vancouver. If Juolevi makes the team out of camp too, then Benning better work the phone lines and move our excess D out. I don't think going back is going to be beneficial to his development because he needs to play against better competition. If QH is determined to get an education, then fine, send him back, but from a hockey standpoint I don't think he has anything to prove at that level.

Edler Tanev
Hughes Gudbranson
Del Zotto Stetcher
Juolevi

I would trade Biega and Pouliot, dump Hutton in the AHL and eat dead cap.

"Hi, this is Jim Benning here, ummm, I've got some defensemen that, ya know, I think you may be interested in. They play the right way. Umm, I think I need picks, and ya know, you may have heard that I publicly stated that I may, ya know, waive these players, but like, I need picks."

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

Maybe some foreshadowing that he knows Vancouver is going to sign Quinn, because he did want to play with his brother.

Hope not. He should go back. VAN will be (more of) a tire fire this year.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
I think Quinn sees things this way,

If the Canucks don't present a clear path for making the NHL this season... he'll head back to the NCAA. If there's a real chance to make the NHL he'll sign, and be ok with heading to Utica after camp/the 1st 9 games if he struggles.

If they have a plan - Hughes signs
If they don't - it's back to NCAA hockey

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Hughes is exactly what this PP needed. The PP has enough shots as currently constructed. Boeser on the left end board and Pettersson on the other end board with Hughes feeding them is going to be absolutely lethal. You could even add Edler into the mix since he'll likely be the other point on the PP.

My optimum PP setup would be 1-3-1

Hughes on the blue line. Boeser on his off wing and Pettersson on the other side. Horvat in the middle and LOUI ERIKSSON in front net duties. You heard me. Loui. He was elite at shoveling in garbage with Boston. This is the optimal way to utilize his (all be it declined) skill set. Maybe even make his stat line look impressive enough to flip him for SOMETHING at some point.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Take it for whats its worth but
A Source ( lets call him DD)who played w Quin last season, is telling everyone this morning that Quin has just informed the University of Michigan that he is leaving school to turn Pro. Apparently they are just working on bonuses with the contract.

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
Take it for whats its worth but
A Source ( lets call him DD)who played w Quin last season, is telling everyone this morning that Quin has just informed the University of Michigan that he is leaving school to turn Pro. Apparently they are just working on bonuses with the contract.

Why would you even bother with calling him "a source" if you're just going to give away the name like that?

For reference, Dexter Dancs.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

could be the other way round that jack could not get into michigan a year early. maybe we have been waiting for some kind of discretionary application to be admitted early without hs credits.

anyway, i think that increases the chances of quinn signing by removing one of the possible reasons for him to go to michigan. but notice jack did not go to the ohl either, so maybe they all stay in michigan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad