OT: 79th Obsequious Banter Thread: Gotta have Hart

Status
Not open for further replies.

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
I get it - Holden is depressed and he’s coming from a volatile situation, but I still find him to be annoying. While my upbringing wasn’t terrible it was far from picture perfect, but I still fond his character to be...whiny for a lack of a better word.

I don’t get why people love that book and identify with him so much.

Because they are sheep and told to like it as a representation of farce individualism

Reactions: VladDrag

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
As someone who hated literature, I actually enjoyed Catcher. That and Gatsby were my two favorite books in high school. It helped I had a really great teacher for Catcher in the Rye who made it fun and interesting to discuss and study.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
I never read it. Went to a Christian HS and never felt the inclination later. Apparently it was the impetus for the murder of John Lennon?

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
@Captain Dave Poulin ita been a while so I wanted to show you how *hiit* this last workout was

20210217_183655.jpg

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Disagreed. It's the only book I want banned. It's so bad, and the badness is made worse when it's read and analyzed and idolized by a bunch of spoiled edgelords who want to pretend they're actually poor and persecuted.

It's not my favorite thing ever, but you cannot seriously tell me that it's a worse book than every thought Dan Brown has ever had or Ready Player One or *shudder* this:

81NX-69L22L.jpg
The spoiler tags are for @CanadianFlyer88. You can hear the screams in his typing every time it's brought up.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I mean the book is decent. But I just don’t like Holden.

It's not "decent" - it's an American masterpiece. The fact that everyone (not singling you out because it's not just you) focuses on "Holden is whiny derp" just shows that they have no idea what they are talking about. Not liking it is one thing - we all dislike various things according to our own tastes. But the f***ing horse shit I hear about it from everyone under a certain age makes my sphincter clench. Guaranteed none of them have touched a Salinger story outside of "Catcher" with any degree of competence to put some context on it, or approached (or were taught) "Catcher" with any degree of competence.

Holy dangling last nerve, Batman.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It's not "decent" - it's an American masterpiece. The fact that everyone (not singling you out because it's not just you) focuses on "Holden is whiny derp" just shows that they have no idea what they are talking about. Not liking it is one thing - we all dislike various things according to our own tastes. But the f***ing horse shit I hear about it from everyone under a certain age makes my sphincter clench. Guaranteed none of them have touched a Salinger story outside of "Catcher" with any degree of competence to put some context on it, or approached (or were taught) "Catcher" with any degree of competence.

Holy dangling last nerve, Batman.
It's not one of the "tons" of books I've read.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad