OT: 79th Obsequious Banter Thread: Gotta have Hart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Since it's you, I would say "Try to add 2 + 2. That should wear you out." But for me, if I'm tired and can't sleep, the second that I try to watch something I am really interested in seeing, I crash. Reverse psychology, sort of. Or reverse-reverse psychology.

I'm the same way. Ive been super interested in physics lately, especially relativity, quantum theory, and string theory (hi @Sombastate and @Beef Invictus ). So late at night I have been putting on lectures by Brian Greene lately and I love them but I fall asleep in 10 minutes.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I'm the same way. Ive been super interested in physics lately, especially relativity, quantum theory, and string theory (hi @Sombastate and @Beef Invictus ). So late at night I have been putting on lectures by Brian Greene lately and I love them but I fall asleep in 10 minutes.

I would rather listen to Brian Austin Green talk about the physical dimensions of The Peach Pit, personally.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I probably get like 5 hours of sleep a night during the week days with work. So I get enough sleep to not be a zombie but not enough to not be tired later in the day when I go to bed.

Sunday nights do & always have been trouble even going back to my school days though.

I take melatonin (NyQuil works too but I generally feel like sluggish the next day where not so much with melatonin) but it seems like I have to take it around that 8-9ish window or otherwise it doesn’t work if I start going into the 10 or later.

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I had this like pretty overweight substitute teacher before in high school that was in over his head. He did like a dry ice bomb in class with a trash can & couldn’t get the lid to latch on properly so he like frantically jumped on the thing like it was grenade in war. :laugh:

He got fired not long after. I don’t think they were too thrilled he showed us how to make one of those things & then live demonstrated it in the building. :laugh:

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
I had this like pretty overweight substitute teacher before in high school that was in over his head. He did like a dry ice bomb in class with a trash can & couldn’t get the lid to latch on properly so he like frantically jumped on the thing like it was grenade in war. :laugh:

He got fired not long after. I don’t think they were too thrilled he showed us how to make one of those things & then live demonstrated it in the building. :laugh:

My HS chemistry teacher's first lab in one of the advanced sections was how to make napalm. We once had to evacuate the building because he poured a reactive mixture down the drain. He was awesome.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
You strike me as a teacher who would put scratch and sniff stickers on papers. And the bad papers get homemade salmon death fart scent.

I wasn't shy about flipping them off when they said something I didn't like. I also sometimes threatened to set them on fire and throw them off a roof - like, I literally said that to them. But they just laughed as if I weren't serious. I also hugged them, though, and a few times I sat with my arm around them. I put on a show for the Japanese group I had, about a Yakuza saying hello using the wrong Japanese words and holding up a pinkyless hand. It was a real hoot, but it wasn't super sane.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I also hugged them, though, and a few times I sat with my arm around them.

1.png

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I wasn't shy about flipping them off when they said something I didn't like. I also sometimes threatened to set them on fire and throw them off a roof - like, I literally said that to them. But they just laughed as if I weren't serious. I also hugged them, though, and a few times I sat with my arm around them. I put on a show for the Japanese group I had, about a Yakuza saying hello using the wrong Japanese words and holding up a pinkyless hand. It was a real hoot, but it wasn't super sane.

What about the student that told you a favorite book of yours wasn’t real literature or something? :laugh:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
What about the student that told you a favorite book of yours wasn’t real literature or something? :laugh:

OMG that f***er. I'll tell you why I didn't lay into that prick. He (I don't know his pronouns or how to describe them because she didn't specify his/her/their deal) was like a ... like he wore make-up and sometimes wore girls' clothing, or half and half or whatever - it just wasn't clear what they were going for or whatever. I don't give a shit what people do, so it's not like that bothered me in the slightest. Moreover, I made a very serious, very consistent point of treating everyone like equals, and I made a special point of treating the transgenders with kindness, because I figured that they had put up with enough shit from people, even in Thailand.

So when this f***er tells me "I don't think this (CATCH-2MOTHERF***ING2!!!!!!!!!!) applies to my generation," every fiber of my being was at war with itself. I could have f***ing destroyed them for saying something so f***witted, but I also knew that they had probably suffered enough shit from other people. So despite being a complete shit-for-brains, they got off without the beating they deserved.

Elvis P

Stop! In the name of love/You can't hurry love
Dec 10, 2007
ATL

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Some of the best literature is also the most banned from high schools such as author Mark Twain and titles: 1984, The Catcher in the Rye, The Color Purple, The Great Gatsby, I know why the caged bird sings, Lord of the Flies, Of Mice and Men, One flew over the cuckoos nest, and To Kill a Mockingbird.

San Francisco school board votes to rename 44 schools, including Abraham Lincoln and George Washington High Schools - CNN.

I don't know how often that happens anymore, but it's criminal and they should all take a serious beating.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Catcher in the rye was a god awful book and Holden is one of the least likable character in the history of literature. But it shouldn’t be banned.

Disagreed. It's the only book I want banned. It's so bad, and the badness is made worse when it's read and analyzed and idolized by a bunch of spoiled edgelords who want to pretend they're actually poor and persecuted.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
I uploaded an image on here and now im constantly getting notifications when other users upload images...how do i fix this?

Reactions: Lord Defect

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Catcher in the rye was a god awful book and Holden is one of the least likable character in the history of literature. But it shouldn’t be banned.
I get it - Holden is depressed and he’s coming from a volatile situation, but I still find him to be annoying. While my upbringing wasn’t terrible it was far from picture perfect, but I still fond his character to be...whiny for a lack of a better word.

I don’t get why people love that book and identify with him so much.

Reactions: Lord Defect
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad