OT: 79th Obsequious Banter Thread: Gotta have Hart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I don't even count Dan Brown as literature. I think the worst part about him being big was all the family members who were like "sweet, I ingested this bucket of fermenting entrails, now I can discuss history with Beef. Hey Beef, did you know the Merovingians founded the city of Paris!?" And lo, I did not know that. Because they didn't.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
I don't even count Dan Brown as literature. I think the worst part about him being big was all the family members who were like "sweet, I ingested this bucket of fermenting entrails, now I can discuss history with Beef. Hey Beef, did you know the Merovingians founded the city of Paris!?" And lo, I did not know that. Because they didn't.
Those kind of books I feel are “great” movies and subpar books.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Dan Brown is to literature what McDonalds is to cuisine.

Please tell me you've seen this, though:

Don’t make fun of renowned Dan Brown

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
giphy.gif

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Snow in places that stay cold is infinitely better than places with varying temps. The snow stays all powdery and beautiful instead of turning all wet and heavy and disgusting. Wet snow is the worst.

Yeh. Alpine snow? Just awesome. It feels warmer in ~20f weather with that snow on ground than does at ~50f with rain.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Snow in places that stay cold is infinitely better than places with varying temps. The snow stays all powdery and beautiful instead of turning all wet and heavy and disgusting. Wet snow is the worst.

So you would think but it's not true. We get plenty of wet snow here in Maine, plus plenty of sleet. Right now I'm looking out my front window and seeing all white, but it's hard, crusty snow that you can't ski on and can actually cut your dogs paws. It's not nice.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
That’s not even English. Reading it that way is just pretentious.
“We’re going to read an important piece of work written in its original text that you will barely be able to understand, so you can get a better understanding of it.”

There is great value in reading stuff like that in the original language if you can. It can be the difference between a stiff translation and an enjoyable read. A lot of wordplay and cleverness gets obliterated with translation or with evolving pronunciations.

But if you don't know how to read it then trying to is misery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad