GDT: #79 | Bruins 3 at FLYERS 4 (OT) | Sun., Apr. 1, 2018, 12:30 pm ET | NBC, TVAS

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Most OTs in a season? Is this team close to the record?

B9DE0AD5-136C-4AA7-B00E-C98B94D6D4FA.jpeg

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
There are a lot of players on the roster who shouldn't be on the roster at the end of games.
If there weren't, we'd be chasing TB, not trying to stay ahead of Florida.

It's the 4th year of a complete rebuild, we're just starting to fill out the roster.
And it takes a couple years for kids to get enough experience to be "reliable."
Don't look now, but Boston made lots of turnovers, they just have enough experienced guys to pair with their kids.

The peoblem is that they don't have to be out there. There are better options that Hakstol does not use.

Is it good coaching to play your worst players in vital situations when you have better players not only available, but rested?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The peoblem is that they don't have to be out there. There are better options that Hakstol does not use.

Is it good coaching to play your worst players in vital situations when you have better players not only available, but rested?
Also a good point.

If the excuse is that players shouldn’t be overworked, wouldn’t it be bad to play vets who have been getting double shifted for the last 5-10 minutes instead of the freshest legs on the team, who have been benched?

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
In November I was ready to give up on the season, but they've turned it around. And apart from making the playoffs there are so many things about this team right now that are encouraging.
Giroux and Couturier having career years, Ghost establishing himself as one of the best defensemen in the league, Konecny playing like a legitimate top line forward, Patrick getting acclimated to NHL hockey and starting to lead the 2nd line, Lindblom and Sanheim cementing their spot in the lineup.

There still are some question marks, but after all it seems like this team has taken a big step forward this year and making the playoffs is well-deserved.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
This season is basically about the good players being good and the crap players just doing their normal abysmal performance. I fail to see how that proves that Hakstol is a good coach. Deploying MacDonald in the last minute is just ....

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Ghost is not "vastly better than MacDonald 6x5," MacDonald is the best shot blocker on the team (and I don't want Ghost blocking shots given his offensive value).

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Ironic isn't it. Every other year the PP has done well and our even strength scoring has been abysmal. This year we get the even strength back on track and the PP sucks.
It's better this way though and it shows. PP scoring is a nice asset, but you don't want to rely on it. Especially in the playoffs.

Reactions: Rebels57

orangecrush8

May 21, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Ghost is not "vastly better than MacDonald 6x5," MacDonald is the best shot blocker on the team (and I don't want Ghost blocking shots given his offensive value).
He’s the best shot blocker on the team because the team never has the puck when he’s on the ice.

Interesting how that works out.

This is also ignoring how ridiculous it is to choose player A over player B because of fear of injury.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

He blocks that many shots because he routinely fails in every other defensive attempt to prevent a shooting attempt and acquire the puck, so getting in the way is the only thing he has left. Unlike other dmen, he often fails to get possession after the block too, so the cycle starts again. Much like Carle.

Answer the question. Is it good coaching to play inferior players over superior players in this situations? Do you think Manning is also better than Ghost?

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia

that is actually a good point, and a legitimate reason to ice Mac. I do not want any of our young studs to block shots.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
MacDonald has blocked 124 shots this year, Ghost has survived somehow while blocking 109.

This isn't the reason people want Ghost out there to protect a lead. Ghost makes smart defensive plays every single game; he disrupts passes and challenges puck carriers at the blue line so they never get into a position to shoot. And Ghost can actually make plays in transition once he gets the puck to eliminate future chances.

As opposed to MacDonald, who backs up all the way to the face-off circle, waves his stick and dives to the ice, essentially giving the other team a 6-on-4.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad