GDT: #79 | Bruins 3 at FLYERS 4 (OT) | Sun., Apr. 1, 2018, 12:30 pm ET | NBC, TVAS

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
A little late to the party but OT pix works again.

2e9218a4-a790-495a-b634-cc4d588c4817_1.1e74463d560f501dd1b6816aecffbf09.jpeg

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I loved that we won today. 2 very much needed points and beating boston is always great. My concern is a completely exhausted 5 games in 8 days Bruins (and you could see it) took us to OT

Well, they are the better team.
I mean they do have 109 points, theirs goalies have a .918 S%

And for all the talk of "youth", Chara (40) 23:00, Miller (30) 19:22, and Holden (30) 19:19. MacAvoy and Krug aren't holding the fort by themselves.
And at forward: Marchand (29) 19;43, Bergeron (32) 19:24, Krejci (31) 16:54, Nash (33) 16:51, Backes (33) 15:26, Nash (28) 15:25, Spooner (26) 14:29, Shaller (27) 13:17.
So while they're playing a lot of rookies and second year guys, they mix them with quality, experienced veterans.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
Was their any update on Raffl prior to the game that I missed? I’m assuming he is back Tuesday and Lethera is out.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Backes is having a solid year for them.

Hextall has a heart attack just thinking about how the Bruins built their roster.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Was their any update on Raffl prior to the game that I missed? I’m assuming he is back Tuesday and Lethera is out.
You’d assume Jori would be out because that’s logical.

But in game 79 they moved Laughton to LW for Lehtera for the first time this season. It was weird and perhaps a signal. Like they could bump out Read even though he’s been a lot better than Jori since his call up. But Jori is relied on for late game situations and PK. Of course he sucks ass at both and it helped cost them today in regulation.....but Hak Logic is a twisted thing.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Backes is having a solid year for them.

Hextall has a heart attack just thinking about how the Bruins built their roster.

Different situations, Boston reloaded, made some trades for draft picks and had a great 2014 draft, and hit on 2 of 6 so far in 2015.
They also have a shot at the cup so were willing to trade a 1st in 2018 and a 2nd rd pick from 2016 to upgrade at the deadline.

It's too early for Hextall to be making those kinds of moves, and he's traded for picks the last four years.
At this point, I can see Hextall emulating Shero and trading picks/2nd tier prospects for young, NHL ready players to fill out his bottom six next year.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Konecny was great in all 3 zones today, made a fantastic play to hustle back and disrupt a rush. Alas, he scored too many points to be deemed responsible defensively.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I only caught about half the game, but I sometimes laugh that we have Patrick, that kid is going to be SOOOOO good. I think he'll get 60-70 pts next year. Another year wiser, another year stronger.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
You’d assume Jori would be out because that’s logical.

But in game 79 they moved Laughton to LW for Lehtera for the first time this season. It was weird and perhaps a signal. Like they could bump out Read even though he’s been a lot better than Jori since his call up. But Jori is relied on for late game situations and PK. Of course he sucks ass at both and it helped cost them today in regulation.....but Hak Logic is a twisted thing.

At least Laughton was noticeable in a positive way a couple of times today, which is more than I can say for the majority of games over the last 3 months. I've been waiting for them to move him to LW. He's simply not a center. Does not have the ice awareness offensively or defensively, and doesn't have the strength. If he weren't a former first round draft pick he wouldn't get nearly the leeway he gets from fans. (Better than Weise and Leier, though.)

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I only caught about half the game, but I sometimes laugh that we have Patrick, that kid is going to be SOOOOO good. I think he'll get 60-70 pts next year. Another year wiser, another year stronger.
They were desperate for him to step up and give them something offensively, and he finally did in a crucial situation. His last 3 weeks had been as dryyyyy as Southern Cracker.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Patrick or Lindblom, although Patrick got away with a high stick, the pass to him and then the finish were beautiful.
To me they're like Giroux and Couts, keep 'em together and you can plug in any decent RW down the road.
Given that once Patrick hits the weight room, they'll both be physical forwards, you can put a fast, undersized RW with them like say, Konecny or Laczynski down the road.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Hakstol gonna Hakstol. The guy clearly doesn't understand how to win games.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Those guys shouldn't have been out there to even possibly commit the icing in the first place.
That's what I was saying -- particularly Simmonds and Gudas. I understand you can't play Giroux, Couturier, Read, and Provorov every shift with the lead, so it's not surprising some of their lesser players had to rotate out there to take a shift, but Simmonds should never see the ice that late in the game with a lead barring extenuating circumstances, like the Colorado game. And Gudas has been so bad I don't think he should, either. I get there's not a lot of options, and they probably don't want Ghost blocking many shots, but in the last minute I'd much rather have Ghost out there, size be damned.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Hakstol gonna Hakstol. The guy clearly doesn't understand how to win games.
Well, they are almost certainly going to make the playoffs with only 4 legit scoring line forwards (this season, not future potential or past performance), two good defensemen, and subpar goaltending, so he does a few things right. But his personnel deployment confounds me at times, today being a frightening example. I don't know what he was doing in OT, and I'm still irate over Simmonds getting such a late shift in a high-probability icing scenario.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Your best defensive defenseman? Ghost does not qualify in 6 on 5, that's a bad situation for him.
And Sanheim and Konecny combined for a goal against earlier except Mrazek saved their bacon with a great save.

Flyers don't have any group outside of the first line and Provorov you want out there with 2 minutes left in the game.
So if Hakstol goes with mediocre veterans over smurfs and shaky kids, whatever.

Konecny made a wonderful move for a goal, then blew a great scoring opportunity on a 2 on 0, and had a couple shaky turnovers.
That's what happens when you play inexperienced players. And why they're hard to trust in tight situations.

People get so excited this season, it's a rebuilding year. I expect them to lose in the 1st round of the playoffs unless Mrazek stands on his head, because I doubt Elliott will be in game shape, and they're not good enough to beat a better team without great goaltending.

Though I'd be happy to trade both Simmonds and Voracek this offseason, horrid play by Simmonds, just bank it out of the D-zone and game over. The injuries have taken their toll, he might have one bounce back season but Hextall is certifiable if he extends Simmonds.
And Voracek tried to lose it a couple times before making a great pass, but watching him get beat in a foot race makes me think this is his peak and its all downhill, because when he starts to slow down he lacks the skills to be a power forward. And he lacks the hockey IQ to compensate.

You failed to answer. Is it good coaching to bench your best players in favor of your worst?

Bear in mind Ghost is vastly better in 6v5 than MacDonald and is far more able to clear the puck than anyone who was on the ice. Is it good coaching to sit your best dman for your worst dmen?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad