GDT: #79 | Bruins 3 at FLYERS 4 (OT) | Sun., Apr. 1, 2018, 12:30 pm ET | NBC, TVAS

orangecrush8

May 21, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
that is actually a good point, and a legitimate reason to ice Mac. I do not want any of our young studs to block shots.
In the final minutes of the game every single team should ice the players that give them the best shot to win.

You simply cannot hold off on playing guys because you’re afraid of injury. That’s ludicrous.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Ghost is not "vastly better than MacDonald 6x5," MacDonald is the best shot blocker on the team (and I don't want Ghost blocking shots given his offensive value).

tenor.gif
tenor.gif
tenor.gif

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Ghost is not "vastly better than MacDonald 6x5," MacDonald is the best shot blocker on the team (and I don't want Ghost blocking shots given his offensive value).

that is actually a good point, and a legitimate reason to ice Mac. I do not want any of our young studs to block shots.
Mac blocks shots so he's a better choice? Are you kidding?

I have an idea.

How about icing guys who can get the puck away from the opponent instead of guys who you're already conceding can't do that and have to fall back to getting in the way of the scoring chances they're inevitably allowing.

What a crazy concept right?

By suggesting that MacDonald is a better choice you're literally admitting that the Hakshell is real, where they play prevent defense instead of trying to move the puck, and saying that MacDonald is a better fit for it. I don't think you realize that you're contradicting yourselves...

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
ghost unconvinced you could coach this team
I have to be fair, though, Lou.
I was so mad at Simmonds being out for that last dzone draw after the timeout, in the moment I forgot he had to be because of the icing before the timeout.
That said, Simmonds is arguably the worst defensive forward on the team this season & shouldn’t have been out there so late on the shift that iced it with so little time left.
And that’s even recognizing that Hakstol has few options. But the RWs have to be Read &, yes, Voracek over Simmonds. Hell, I’d take Konecny over Simmonds that late this season.

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
I enjoyed greatly Olczyk and Emrick slobbering over MacDonald on the broadcast, which was immediately followed by his blasting a puck into shinpads nearly leading to an odd-man rush and Boston overwhelming him in the circle area for a good scoring chance.

Then Olczyk praises him for taking a knee on a PK about 5 miles away from a shooter, so much so that he was able to pinball the puck back towards the net at a harsh angle. "Mrazek's fault". Uh huh.

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
This game pretty much summed things up for me.

I love the good guys, namely: 28, 93, 19, 11, 14, 54 up front; and 9, 53, 6 and the back end. That is a great (mostly) young core.

Read played well, and Laughton hustles.

Otherwise, blast em all into outer space. That includes Radko and Simmonds.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
The Weal/Flip/AMac trio was absolutely overwhelmed on that short shift and Boston nearly scored. This board would've blown up if they did.

That pissed me off and the Flyers did win. I was heated for a good hour after the fact, just stupid coaching. Dumb luck the Flyers were able to survive that shift and eventually win.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I enjoyed greatly Olczyk and Emrick slobbering over MacDonald on the broadcast, which was immediately followed by his blasting a puck into shinpads nearly leading to an odd-man rush and Boston overwhelming him in the circle area for a good scoring chance.

Then Olczyk praises him for taking a knee on a PK about 5 miles away from a shooter, so much so that he was able to pinball the puck back towards the net at a harsh angle. "Mrazek's fault". Uh huh.
I’ll take heat for it, because Mac did have that goal go off his skate (thought it was mostly bad luck), had a bad late icing, & also had a late clear bounce off Lehtera (of course), but I also thought he made a lot of good plays today. And he’s up against it having to play as a #3 against Boston. Far from a flawless game, but few defensemen have those. He was ok. Gudas was far far worse. And I’ve always liked Gudas more than AMac.

On another note, Mrazek played well again. The guy scares the hell out of me, but credit where due.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I’ll take heat for it, because Mac did have that goal go off his skate (thought it was mostly bad luck), had a bad late icing, & also had a late clear bounce off Lehtera (of course), but I also thought he made a lot of good plays today. And he’s up against it having to play as a #3 against Boston. Far from a flawless game, but few defensemen have those. He was ok. Gudas was far far worse. And I’ve always liked Gudas more than AMac.

On another note, Mrazek played well again. The guy scares the hell out of me, but credit where due.

very good game from him.

Reactions: onlylordsvsmorebp

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
appreciate your candor regarding amac.....also mrazek fills me with absolute bryzgalovian levels of fear. his brutal rebounds and soft goals vs his amazing (soty category) saves are mind bendingly anxiety inducing...

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
The Weal/Flip/AMac trio was absolutely overwhelmed on that short shift and Boston nearly scored. This board would've blown up if they did.

I just watched that shift again and you're right. Filppula was absolutely horrible on that shift. Let us remember this the next time Hakstol or someone talks about how smart he is in the defensive zone.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
This idea that hak isn't playing ghost at the end because he could get hurt from blocking a shot is comedy gold
Yet people don't want Giroux playing the PK because they don't want to wear him out. Seems pretty analogous to me. Not sure why one is comedy gold and the other a legitimate concern.

And I say this as someone who, in a crucial situation, would not hesitate to play Ghost in the late minutes (but maybe even at forward). And I do think Hakstol probably overrates the value of size in those situations, at least when it comes to some players who can get to the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad