OT: 77th Obsequious Banter Thread: the one where everyone underperforms

Status
Not open for further replies.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
What separates Hard Sciences from Soft Sciences (Psychology, Sociology) and Pseudosciences (Astrology and Tarot) is that you can make predictions. If a study doesn't allow you extrapolate both forwards and backwards, then it isn't a science. That's why us pretentious math jack asses subscribe to the ideology that this world only offers two things, mathematical law, and opinion.

So the idea is that you don't need to observe it to know how it's behaving. it's comparable to the tree falling in an empty forest.

With Quantum Mechanics, and why it gets muddy, is that it's about probability distribution. We can identify down to the percentage point what the probability is of electron behavior.

That old visual adage we had of the Atom back in middle school is categorically incorrect. it isn't a tiny universe with an electron orbiting the nucleus like a planet orbiting a sun. Rather, surrounding the nucleus is a cloud where the electron exists in a superposition of "may or may not be here."

I promise on a day where I have more available time I'll make this clearer, I'm just preparing for a DJ session this evening.
f***ing orbitals. Ugh

1s 2s 2p 3s 3d 3p blah blah blah

Reactions: Sombastate

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Fun moving story #1: we moved to our new house on Saturday. 6 days later we finally have cable, even though we had internet connectivity immediately.

This is, in part, because we thought the movers lost the box with our cable and internet equipment, so we ordered new equipment, only to find the originals shortly afterwards.

So we cancelled the shipment of the new equipment (which they sent, anyway), but that cancellation of equipment also cancelled the move request... but somehow didn't impact the internet service transfer.

After several days of back and forth with the cable company, they sent a field tech because they couldn't figure out what was wrong.

Field tech came to the house today and says "there's nothing wrong here. They just need to flip a switch." He calls the service centre and we have cable in 5 minutes. He leaves, none too pleased that he was sent here for something the service centre could have helped me with, but didn't for some reason.

Yay.

More stories to come.
And we lost TV again. Huzzah.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Well, the problem is... you need that foundation haha

I didn't have any good math teachers. Well, there were two tutors hired to try and fix what the bad teachers did. Those two were good, but they were temporary. I actually enjoyed math with them. Math with the regular teachers was worse than torture.

When I got to physics in 12th grade, the teacher asked if we had a particular teacher. A few of us had. He told us that we were f***ed. That we had essentially not learned a thing from her, and that he didn't have time to teach us the math we needed while also teaching the class. So, the arrangement was that we would try to solve problems, but our real credit would come from explaining all the concepts and relationships and such.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Technical question:

Dish removed our local Fox station. Presumably we can pick it up on an antenna. Is this something small-ish that you can plug/connect into/to one of the ports on the back of your TV and you are good to go, or does it involve something larger? I'll hang up and listen.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Technical question:

Dish removed our local Fox station. Presumably we can pick it up on an antenna. Is this something small-ish that you can plug/connect into/to one of the ports on the back of your TV and you are good to go, or does it involve something larger? I'll hang up and listen.

HD antenna these days.

Amazon.com : hd antenna for tv indoor

Unless you live in bizarre signal deadzone like I do and can only pick up a single Vietnamese news station, these work great.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
@Hollywood Couturier ypu need me to grab anything from the office for you?

20201212_120025.jpg

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
For sure. Want to maximize your Mac and cheese game? Cream cheese. Eggs? Cream cheese. Bagel? Cream cheese. Saltine crackers? Cream cheese. Make it into a cake? Cheese cake
I feel like you should start a YouTube channel called Uncle Panther and tell people that they need to put cream cheese on everything to make it better.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
In respects to observation, it's actually a lot easier than you'd think. if I may, I recommend "Something Deeply Hidden" by a Physicist I hold in particularly high esteem named Sean Carrol. He's likely the foremost authority on Laymen education on what Quantum Systems are (and he was proud of my Pierre-Simon Laplace Costume, so he's good people in my book).

I appreciate you taking the time to talk about all of this. Grabbed a copy of the book for me and one for my Dad for Christmas. Can’t wait to dig into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad