Post-Game Talk: #76 | FLYERS at Penguins | Sun., Mar. 25, 2018

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
I clearly asked what did Hakstol say in an on-ice-interview to get you so pissed off.

If Hak really threw Lyon under the bus during the game, I missed it and would love to hear it. I tend to think that's not an accurate depiction, but please link me to it. After the game I heard him say no goals were Lyon's fault, which was a lie on at least one.

GB, since I started this kerfuffle, let me help out.

Regis Pierre McGuire did one of his always enlightening bench interviews in the second period, after Lyon had been pulled. He asked Hak:

"Coach, you pulled Alex Lyon. Was that to get your team's attention, or you weren't happy with the way he was playing?"

Hak's reply seemed sorta off to me at the time, so I went back after the game and listened to his answer again. Here's what he said:

"Well, it's a little bit of both."

As I mentioned in post #246 of this thread, I thought it was a BS response, especially after all the team errors that contributed to the three goals Lyon allowed. I also said I had no problem with the goalie change, and just about all the replies from other guys on this thread have said the same thing.

Look, with all the injuries, and Mrazek's inconsistency, Lyon is our 5th option in goal. He should be playing for the Phantoms, but he's not. He's clearly doing his best to help keep this team in the playoffs.

Hak got one of McGuire's usual soft ball questions. It was a great opportunity, on national television, to be a real leader and explain what a good job Lyon's done since his call-up and that the goalie change wasn't on him, but was designed to get the whole team's attention and shift the momentum of the game.

Instead, Hak muffed the soft ball. In my view, the "little bit of both" comment made it sound like he was pinning blame on a league minimum, minor league goalie who's been doing his best in an emergency. It made Hak look small.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

Regis Pierre McGuire did one of his always enlightening bench interviews in the second period, after Lyon had been pulled. He asked Hak:

"Coach, you pulled Alex Lyon. Was that to get your team's attention, or you weren't happy with the way he was playing?"

Hak's reply seemed sorta off to me at the time, so I went back after the game and listened to his answer again. Here's what he said:

As I mentioned in post #246 of this thread, I thought it was a BS response, especially after all the team errors that contributed to the three goals Lyon allowed. I also said I had no problem with the goalie change, and just about all the replies from other guys on this thread have said the same thing.

Look, with all the injuries, and Mrazek's inconsistency, Lyon is our 5th option in goal. He should be playing for the Phantoms, but he's not. He's clearly doing his best to help keep this team in the playoffs.

Hak got one of McGuire's usual soft ball questions. It was a great opportunity, on national television, to be a real leader and explain what a good job Lyon's done since his call-up and that the goalie change wasn't on him, but was designed to get the whole team's attention and shift the momentum of the game.

Instead, Hak muffed the soft ball. In my view, the "little bit of both" comment made it sound like he was pinning blame on a league minimum, minor league goalie who's been doing his best in an emergency. It made Hak look small.

"That's ridiculous."

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

It's unfortunate that you even had to elaborate to this extent, but well done nonetheless.

The way you perceive his comment is exactly the same way I do.

Hak does not respect his players. The younger they are, the less respect he has for them. He's just a garbage coach, plain and simple.

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
:blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah:

Maybe read my, and other peoples posts.

NO ONE IS CRITICIZING THAT HAKSTOL PULLED LYON.

I think it was a good idea to pull him to try and change the monentum, that is not the issue. He is only being criticized for throwing him under the bus. One of the goals was his fault, the others were by complete breakdowns by the team.

Get it through your ****ing head.
I dont understand why everyone hasnt blocked his ass yet .....

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
I will lit-rilly fight anyone on this board.

giphy.gif
You saying you wanna get butt naked and wrestle?

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
I would bear Darcy "Chainsaw" Loewen's children.
Darcy "Chainsaw" Loewen is my favorite and I hope he wins the state lottery wherever he is, or at least gets five numbers right.
Whenever he took a penalty, the PA system in Vegas would play chainsaw noises. It was awesome. :D

From an article about the expansion year Senators:
They had rookie Darcy Loewen of Sylvan Lake, Alta., who had more nicknames - Chainsaw, Taz, Buzzsaw, etc. - than points and whose father said, "If the circus was in town, Darcy'd be the one they'd shoot outta the cannon."
"Poor Darcy," his own mother said, "he has cement hands, you know."
But such heart. Once, in Buffalo, he lost his stick and came racing to the bench for a replacement, only to have a half dozen offered sticks bounce off his hands like guardrails in a traffic accident as he flew by, the little forward continuing on down the ice still stickless and throwing himself over the puck as if it were a live grenade and he was willing to take one for the team.
When he got his first new suit, one of the veterans told Mr. Loewen he'd give him $100 if Darcy would jump into the hotel pool wearing it - and barely had time to reach for his wallet before being sprayed by the splash.
A scheme, a team and a dream come true

I'm just glad that he got to punch the coward Dave Hakstol in the face.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
When you have 45 shots on goal, there are going to be some "muffins" (or why never put excess weight on Corsi), but they also had plenty of good scoring chances. Murray outplayed our goalies the last two periods or we win 5-4.

That's why I said that the low-percentage shots seemed to be particularly numerous in this game. They scored their last 2 goals on rebounds from point shots,so if they are going to fire away from the blue line, it shows that screens and garbagemen are needed.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
That's why I said that the low-percentage shots seemed to be particularly numerous in this game. They scored their last 2 goals on rebounds from point shots,so if they are going to fire away from the blue line, it shows that screens and garbagemen are needed.

I've been saying that for a while.
Think it's an accident that Hextall has drafted people like Lindblom, Bunnaman, Allison, Ratcliffe and Strome?
Me thinks he likes "tough" guys who'll set screens and have good hands for deflections and rebounds.

Reactions: BernieParent

Brayden Fattison

Mar 4, 2013
Whenever he took a penalty, the PA system in Vegas would play chainsaw noises. It was awesome. :D

From an article about the expansion year Senators:

A scheme, a team and a dream come true

I'm just glad that he got to punch the coward Dave Hakstol in the face.
His Wikipedia page says that he's a firefighter in Vegas now. This guy has "hero" written all over him.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014

So we have a bunch of people up in arms because in an on-the-spot interview on the bench Hakstol said, "It's a little bit of both," when asked if his decision to pull the goalie was because of Lyon's play or to motivate the team?

That's absurd. What it boils down to is that many people hate Hakstol and actively seek out reasons to complain about him.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Pretty much, given that's a pretty innocuous statement.
What coach is happy with a goalie who's beat for two goals in a couple minutes on the road when your team had the lead?
But instead of just blaming the goalie, he also admitted he needed to wake up the team.

That didn't come close to "throwing Lyon under the bus."
And we're talking a 25 year old rookie who simply has to play better with the playoffs on the line.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Compare this to the worst thing he's ever said about the garbage vets.

oh wait...

He refuses to be honest when it comes to them. He has his favorites.

This. Unsurprisingly, the apologists are out in full force. Never a bad word about Filpulla despite literally being one of the worst forwards on the team. Lehtera gives up a breakaway in a game a few weeks back, and when asked about it in a post game, its "well, you know, hes a leader on and off the ice, ya know" or something to that effect.

Its absolutely terrible to throw your players under the bus, on national television, nonetheless. But if you're going to do it, do it consistently. Don't pick and choose. But i suppose this point will go right over everyone's head, too.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
"Our 27 yr old D anchor was great and needs more plays like that faceplant to the boards. Dooggg"

"What do you think about Filpulla being one of the worst statistical forwards in the league?"

"You just cant replace a Valterri Filpulla. The guy is the embodiment of boring hockey."

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
This. Unsurprisingly, the apologists are out in full force. Never a bad word about Filpulla despite literally being one of the worst forwards on the team. Lehtera gives up a breakaway in a game a few weeks back, and when asked about it in a post game, its "well, you know, hes a leader on and off the ice, ya know" or something to that effect.

Its absolutely terrible to throw your players under the bus, on national television, nonetheless. But if you're going to do it, do it consistently. Don't pick and choose. But i suppose this point will go right over everyone's head, too.

He got asked on the spot while in the middle of coaching a game why he pulled the goalie. He gave an honest answer & did not throw Lyon "under the bus." Let's see you exhibit perfection when asked a sudden question on the spot in the middle of working.

I also like how you try to broadly paint anyone who doesn't actively seek out reasons to bash Hakstol and doesn't join the Hakstol Crucible witch hunt as an "apologist." I, for one, have had plenty of disagreements with Hakstol's decisions and am moderate on him as the head coach. But the Hak haters seem to see everything in black and white, no shades of gray. To the point of making a big deal out of nothing things like an innocuous quote in the middle of a game.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
He got asked on the spot while in the middle of coaching a game why he pulled the goalie. He gave an honest answer & did not throw Lyon "under the bus." Let's see you do better when asked a sudden question on the spot in the middle of working.

I also like how you try to broadly paint anyone who doesn't actively seek out reasons to bash Hakstol and doesn't join the Hakstol Crucible witch hunt as an "apologist." I, for one, have had plenty of disagreements with Hakstol's decisions and am moderate on him as the head coach. But the Hak haters seem to see everything in black and white, no shades of gray. To the point of making a big deal out of nothing things like an innocuous quote in the middle of a game.

Canned hockey questions have canned hockey responses. This one was a lay up and Hakstol decided to take it, run it back to half court, and attempt a 3 pointer. Theres simply no other way to look at it. This was tortorella level bad of throwing players under the bus. Maybe even worse.

Edit: And for what its worth - i've been on the receiving end of those questions, when my team played like hell in front of me. Not once did i say " my team left me high and dry" its just simply "Weve got to do better". Theres a reason you hear the same tired phrases from hockey players during interviews that never really answer the question. They literally teach you how to answer them

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad