GDT: #75: Islanders at FLYERS, Saturday, March 23, 2019, 1:00 p.m. ET

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I wouldn’t be surprised if they are already talking to Q or it’s done.

This season is a success at this point if Morin plays as a 7th dman and then pushes Hagg out in a 6 dman rotation.

Reactions: phil162888

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018

When I imagine a Flyer management meeting led by SCott and Holmgren this video comes to mind.

Clarke is the old dude who gets patted on the head.

Reactions: BiggE

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
No coach could have saved this season, Q couldn't save the Blackhawks last year when Crawford went down.
The goalies were horrible until Hart came up and Elliott returned, and Hakstol had a top ten defense (in terms of scoring chances allowed).
I've yet to see a HC play goalie.

To be fair, the last few games the team looks like they have no legs, my question is whether they required the team to get the flu shot, if not, fire the medical staff. It's obvious that the flu went through this team, not just the guys missing games, but the whole team has looked like they have dead legs - some may be the long season, but I suspect they're just not well.

The one thing that stood out was without legs the Islanders were clearly the more physical team, this is why I say this team is too slow (average speed) and too small (one of the smallest teams in the NHL). Islanders won the board battles, and were able to maintain possession in the O-zone. No, slow guys who hit but don't get to the puck are a liability, weak defensemen who get to the puck but lose the battle consistently are just as ineffectual.

The biggest issue (goalie) is solved.

Fletcher has to make a couple major moves (forward depth, veteran defensive D-man), bring in Frost and a new HC (Keefe).
If you watched the Marlies last year, you saw a well coached team that plays Flyer style (aggressive forecheckers), Keefe belongs here, not in Toronto.

The team made progress this year, with all the ups and downs they have a core of young players on the team and a lot more on the way, JVR has settled in and Hartman adds depth. Two years away, but they should be a lot more competitive next season.

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
No coach could have saved this season, Q couldn't save the Blackhawks last year when Crawford went down.
The goalies were horrible until Hart came up and Elliott returned, and Hakstol had a top ten defense (in terms of scoring chances allowed).

To be fair, the last few games the team looks like they have no legs, my question is whether they required the team to get the flu shot, if not, fire the medical staff. It's obvious that the flu went through this team, not just the guys missing games, but the whole team has looked like they have dead legs - some may be the long season, but I suspect they're just not well.

The one thing that stood out was without legs the Islanders were clearly the more physical team, this is why I say this team is too slow (average speed) and too small (one of the smallest teams in the NHL). Islanders won the board battles, and were able to maintain possession in the O-zone. No, slow guys who hit but don't get to the puck are a liability, weak defensemen who get to the puck but lose the battle consistently are just as ineffectual.

Fletcher has to make a couple major moves (forward depth, veteran defensive D-man), bring in Frost and a new HC (Keefe).
If you watched the Marlies last year, you saw a well coached team that plays Flyer style (aggressive forecheckers), Keefe belongs here, not in Toronto.

The team made progress this year, with all the ups and downs they have a core of young players on the team and a lot more on the way, JVR has settled in and Hartman adds depth. Two years away, but they should be a lot more competitive next season.

I haven;t had the flu in over 12 years after changing my diet.

I wouldn't have a flu shot if you paid me.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Thomas is an interesting parallel to Frost, a little bigger, but rookie season at 19 instead of returning to juniors.
62g 5-18 23 at ES, Corsi 51.6, CorsiRel +0.2, E +/- +7.3
Thomas was 6'0 193 lbs at the Combine, Frost 5'11 173.
Frost with an extra year in juniors should be able to match or exceed Thomas as a rookie.

On the other hand, Jordan Kyrou, a year older, couldn't stick with the Blues. #35, like Ratcliffe.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
First game I’ve seen all of in a long time because I was there live. It reminded me why I stopped watching.

The refs were awful but the Flyers in no way deserved to win that game. The D zone structure was bizarre. They actively treated even strength defense like a penalty kill by collapsing towards the middle and passively blocking the point men instead of trying to intercept their passes or force turnovers. It’s like they chose to play penalty kill D at even strength and the shot totals reflect it.

Why does every coach we have hate Konecny? It’s a rhetorical question, I know every coach we have is bad.
I kept saying that as I was watching it. It was like they were playing a zone defense or something. Totally bizarre.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think b/c their legs were so dead, they had to play a conservative style of defense, everytime they tried to chase the puck they looked like they were skating through slush.

forzanerazzurri

Mar 22, 2007
Calgary

Of course they get flu shots. It's just not all that effective.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
actually you feel good after acupuncture

unlike you would after a flu shot or some other pharmaceutical
I3EQBzS.gif

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
You realize that none of these guys that miss 1 one game actually has the flu, right? Have you ever had the flu?

The real flu?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad