OT: 74th Obsequious Banter Thread: Remember That Mike Vecchione Guy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I don't know. I just like.. I cant be here anymore. I like... I cant.

I have had around 20 years to come to an understanding of how to watch this show without vomiting. It is not easy, but once you find the groove, it is manageable. It's not worth it on its own - what makes it worth it is that you are primed for "Paradise" in the summer - that's the payoff.

Reactions: Tripod

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I have had around 20 years to come to an understanding of how to watch this show without vomiting. It is not easy, but once you find the groove, it is manageable. It's not worth it on its own - what makes it worth it is that you are primed for "Paradise" in the summer - that's the payoff.

*walks away from conversation*

I don't know dave, I just like... I cant. It's too much and you embarrassed me. I'm just done.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Watched the live version of Aladdin. It wasn’t bad but I’ll stick with the animated version.

Two things off the top of my head I wasn't a big fan of in that movie.

1) The story seemed to focus on Jasmine a little too much as opposed to the animated version. It just kinda threw me off.
2) They added a lot of aspects of hip hop and Indian styled dancing to the movie when it doesn't fit the setting. Maybe i'm wrong about that entirely.

Gilbert Gottfried not being involved with it was ridiculous.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Watched the live version of Aladdin. It wasn’t bad but I’ll stick with the animated version.
It was bad. Will Smith was terrible. He seemed bored the entire time. During the first song, I actually asked my wife why they didn’t get a singer to play Genie, and then remembered will smith used to be a musician.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

1) The story seemed to focus on Jasmine a little too much as opposed to the animated version. It just kinda threw me off.
2) They added a lot of aspects of hip hop and Indian styled dancing to the movie when it doesn't fit the setting. Maybe i'm wrong about that entirely.

I thought the actress doing the Jasmining was on point and better than Aladdin, so doing that probably improved the film.

I'm not really up to speed on traditional Persian dancing so I have no idea if Indian style dancing is appropriate or not but it very well could be. I'd always thought of Agrabah as representing Baghdad, but it's probably more a stand-in for the entire 8th/9th century Caliphate.

Reactions: Hollywood Cannon

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
I thought the actress doing the Jasmining was on point and better than Aladdin, so doing that probably improved the film.

I'm not really up to speed on traditional Persian dancing so I have no idea if Indian style dancing is appropriate or not but it very well could be. I'd always thought of Agrabah as representing Baghdad, but it's probably more a stand-in for the entire 8th/9th century Caliphate.
The chick that played jasmine did a pretty good job. The writing for her, plot wise, I wasn’t a fan of. Allison has a punchable smile, if that’s a thing.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

Expounding upon 1 -- not only was it more focused on her, they added this 2020 "independent woman" storyline to it. I know by saying this I'm sure someone will say "what a misogynistic thing to say", but I don't get why they had to alter a 1000 year old storyline so that Jasmines goal wasnt to find love, but someone who was ok with her being sultan. That change just really threw the whole movie off to me, as small as it was.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Speaking of Asia...

How many of you guys have gone to Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur? @Captain Dave Poulin?

As I guess on my way from India to Japan will stop off in one for a day or two (as there are super cheap, super regular flights from Southern Indian cities to those two, and those two to Osaka and Tokyo).

What is more worthwhile? (depending on my friend in Japan's schedule might also have a few days in Indonesia, Vietnam, Cambodia or something... as silly cheap flights from Bangkok/Kuala Lumpur to those places... like 15 dollar flights.)

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Fantano talks about this topic a lot. I tend to agree with what he says about the simplistic takes on pop music. He acknowledges that he liked good and bad music when he was younger.

I think there's something to be said about the self-serving part of music industry that props up Eilish and King Princess types. Both are talented and make arguably good music. Is it the most interesting or worthy of praise? Probably not.
They ain’t no Freddie Mercury, that’s for sure!

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Speaking of Asia...

How many of you guys have gone to Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur? @Captain Dave Poulin?

As I guess on my way from India to Japan will stop off in one for a day or two (as there are super cheap, super regular flights from Southern Indian cities to those two, and those two to Osaka and Tokyo).

What is more worthwhile? (depending on my friend in Japan's schedule might also have a few days in Indonesia, Vietnam, Cambodia or something... as silly cheap flights from Bangkok/Kuala Lumpur to those places... like 15 dollar flights.)

I'm not sure what to tell you about Bangkok in terms of tourism, because I just lived there and made my life there - I didn't really visit anyplace, because I wasn't interested in it culturally. If I were you and you could work out the logistics, I'd probably try to stop over in Phuket or Koh Samui - if I remember your timetable correctly, you would be there during "rainy season," but it will still be hot as balls and the rain, if it came, wouldn't last long. In Bangkok itself, it would be cool to eat some street food, especially if you like playing Russian Roulette with diarrhea, and you could always go to Soi Cowboy if you are feeling adventurous, but beyond that I'm not sure what there is to do, really.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I'm not sure what to tell you about Bangkok in terms of tourism, because I just lived there and made my life there - I didn't really visit anyplace, because I wasn't interested in it culturally. If I were you and you could work out the logistics, I'd probably try to stop over in Phuket or Koh Samui - if I remember your timetable correctly, you would be there during "rainy season," but it will still be hot as balls and the rain, if it came, wouldn't last long. In Bangkok itself, it would be cool to eat some street food, especially if you like playing Russian Roulette with diarrhea, and you could always go to Soi Cowboy if you are feeling adventurous, but beyond that I'm not sure what there is to do, really.

I understand that completely... only ever really did touristy stuff in Utrecht/Amsterdam and Copenhagen/Malmo when had people visiting! And never climbed the famous church towers in any of those places even though they are high up the guidebooks... always another day and why would I really want to when I live round the corner aha.

I guess I will enjoy wherever I go to be honest. I will have a look at Phuket or Koh Samui for sure!

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
This is the "Can you believe my kid just said this shit?" thread, right?

My wife called me at work while driving with the kids and my oldest son says he wants to tell me a secret. So my wife gives him the phone and he whispers, "Daddy, why don't you fart in my face and then I'll fart in your face? That would be fun, right?"

edit: context he turns 4 this summer

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
This is the "Can you believe my kid just said this ****?" thread, right?

My wife called me at work while driving with the kids and my oldest son says he wants to tell me a secret. So my wife gives him the phone and he whispers, "Daddy, why don't you fart in my face and then I'll fart in your face? That would be fun, right?"
Kids are like tiny personal jesters, it's fantastic.

My 3 year old just started shitting on the toilet. He was in the bathroom for a while the other night so I went in to check on him. I asked if he was all good and he said, "yeah Dad......... can I get some space please?". Like he'd been toilet shitting for years. He's a natural. I also taught him to stand up, bend over, and touch his toes when he's done so I can clean him up. :laugh:

He also just randomly started calling us Mom and Dad one day. No more mommy and daddy. They really do grow up like weeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad